2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

What an emotional final game! After an 0-for-3 start and a BS four-pitch walk in his last trip to the plate, Miggy surprises us all with one final appearance at first base, and two pitches in gets the 3-unassisted, and walks off on top. What a beautiful ending to an inner-circle Hall of Fame career that will culminate in another Olde English D enshrined in Cooperstown.

Tigers finish the season 78-84, and in full possession of second place, capped off by a nice little 18-10 run. I think they did better this season than the vast majority of people thought they might. They certainly beat my own preseason prediction of 75 wins pretty nicely.

I would say that, despite the complaints and objections voiced throughout the season, Scott Harris's first season was a pretty solid success. Let's spend the next six months posting endlessly about what he must, I mean absolutely must, do this offseason to win this division next year and then every year after that for the rest of all of our lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

What an emotional final game! After an 0-for-3 start and a BS four-pitch walk in his last trip to the plate, Miggy surprises us all with one final appearance at first base, and two pitches in gets the 3-unassisted, and walks off on top. What a beautiful ending to an inner-circle Hall of Fame career that will culminate in another Olde English D enshrined in Cooperstown.

Tigers finish the season 78-84, and in full possession of second place, capped off by a nice little 18-10 run. I think they did better this season than the vast majority of people thought they might. They certainly beat my own preseason prediction of 75 wins pretty nicely.

I would say that, despite the complaints and objections voiced throughout the season, Scott Harris's first season was a pretty solid success. Let's spend the next six months posting endlessly about what he must, I mean absolutely must, do this offseason to win this division next year and then every year after that for the rest of all of our lives.

I simply must take the time to say that this post absolutely nails the sentiments I have,

As I rise to my feet I  say, as they say in the British Parliament, "To the right honorable chasfh, Hear!! Hear!!"

My team for 2024

C Jake Rogers and Carson Kelly  I would pick up the team option for Kelly. In one year I would expect Dingler to be ready for at least a part time role.

1b Tork.

2b Colt Keith, backed up by Lipcius against tough lefties.

3b Start the year with a mix of Vierling and McKinstry until Jung is ready defensively. 

SS Still have hope that Baez opts out. If he must stay,  then he's got one last chance. I am not confident either Baez or his replacement would be replacement level. 

RF I would prefer Greene in RF and some Center, with Carpenter backing him up. Carpenter should dh quite a bit. Viewing can help in RF.

CF  Parker Meadows/Riley Greene

LF Justin-Henry Malloy. Would love to find at bats for Badoo, but Malloy is a priority, like Keith.

Starting Pitching 

Tarek Skubal, Matt Manning, Casey Mize, Reese Olson,  and Sawyer Gipson-Long. For reinforcement I would stretch out Brieske, unless he's ready for high leverage relieving. Montero, Madden and Flores should add enough depth. 

RP If the Tigers can trade their relief like last year,  they should.  There is  plenty of arms they can throw in. I would try Montero and Flores in high leverage. 

By the way,  no free agents,  please.  It's a bad year to have money.  Wait for someone to need to clear salary,  then rip them off.

3 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

My team for 2024

C Jake Rogers and Carson Kelly  I would pick up the team option for Kelly. In one year I would expect Dingler to be ready for at least a part time role.

1b Tork.

2b Colt Keith, backed up by Lipcius against tough lefties.

3b Start the year with a mix of Vierling and McKinstry until Jung is ready defensively. 

SS Still have hope that Baez opts out. If he must stay,  then he's got one last chance. I am not confident either Baez or his replacement would be replacement level. 

RF I would prefer Greene in RF and some Center, with Carpenter backing him up. Carpenter should dh quite a bit. Viewing can help in RF.

CF  Parker Meadows/Riley Greene

LF Justin-Henry Malloy. Would love to find at bats for Badoo, but Malloy is a priority, like Keith.

Starting Pitching 

Tarek Skubal, Matt Manning, Casey Mize, Reese Olson,  and Sawyer Gipson-Long. For reinforcement I would stretch out Brieske, unless he's ready for high leverage relieving. Montero, Madden and Flores should add enough depth. 

RP If the Tigers can trade their relief like last year,  they should.  There is  plenty of arms they can throw in. I would try Montero and Flores in high leverage. 

By the way,  no free agents,  please.  It's a bad year to have money.  Wait for someone to need to clear salary,  then rip them off.

meanwhile Chris illitch swims thru his huge pile of money

• Haha 1

The Tigers showed a lot of growth this year, particularly the younger players, and finished strong. 

Perhaps additional young talent will provide more WAR to get them from the 70s to the 80s in the win column, but growth is uneven and can't be relied on if they at least want to push the envelope a bit in 2024. So yeah, they should be trying to add some free agents this offseason IMO if they feel they can help push this team further along.

• Like 1

We also have to keep in mind the Central was extremely bad this year, even worse than most years and the Tigers took advantage of that. 

I don't know enough about each org and their systems to know how much if any improvement we should expect from them but its hard to see those teams getting any worse next year so even if the Tigers get better it may be offset by the rest of the division getting better as well. 

Heading into the offseason:  Tork & Greene made good strides forward ( Please Riley can we see an injury free season in 2024 ! 😉 ), a surprising year for Carpenter and the return from injury for Skubal.  So...2024  Pencil in P. Meadows in center and see how he develops, Greene/Carpenter corner OF/DH until Riley is out there full time. A big RH OF bat, probably thru trade.  IF to begin...Verling at 3b ( maybe Jung shows promise in AFL, Baez at SS, Keith at 2nd, and Tork at 1st ( hoping for another step forward in 2024 ).  SP  FA, Skubal, Mize, Olsen & Manning ( Is he injury snake bit ? 😬) Shake & bake RP as needed, maybe see Madden mid year, Jobe by Sept as replacement SP? Is this the year we get to 85 wins?...I see definite possibilities 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

We also have to keep in mind the Central was extremely bad this year, even worse than most years and the Tigers took advantage of that.

It was the AL East we were bit by: 7-25, worse than even the Royals. We crushed the other Central teams, but we were also respectably within earshot of .500 against the West and the NL. I think this is fine for a rebuilding year. Need to see some progress against them next year if we want to take a decent step forward.

If we'd done nothing different except play .500 against the AL East, we would be in the playoffs tomorrow night!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

What the heck happened to Carpenter? It went from dude might hit 40 homers in a full season to Chris Shelton?

Shelton was a high-round draft pick, too (33rd). I acknowledge that it's possible for a player from any round to be a star (aka The Mike Piazza Effect), but setting aside such exceptions, there's usually a good reason a guy goes late in the draft.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Shelton was a high-round draft pick, too (33rd). I acknowledge that it's possible for a player from any round to be a star (aka The Mike Piazza Effect), but setting aside such exceptions, there's usually a good reason a guy goes late in the draft.

could be he ran out of gas a little, could also be he saw more left hand pitching in those extra Sept ABs.

Month    PA

April       75

May        INJ

June      67

July       88

Aug       111

Sept      118

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't know enough about each org and their systems to know how much if any improvement we should expect from them but its hard to see those teams getting any worse next year so even if the Tigers get better it may be offset by the rest of the division getting better as well. 

Assessing the division, even if some of the others improve (I could see it from the Royals/Guards, not so much for the White Sox), it's still reasonable to think that .500 is attainable or that they could even be "AL Central" competitive with the right strategic investments from the outside of the division.

Ultimately, they can only control what they can do.... can't worry about what the other teams do or how they may play in 2024.

Few teams are as well positioned to improve as the Tigers. There only have one starting player who is a free agent, they have effectively no payroll tax constraints, and the team is young enough that the natural career arc has more players improving than getting worse. If they can't improve their record by 10+ games it will be a substantial front office fail. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I would consider 87 wins next season a substantial front office fail, especially since their pythag record was 73 wins this year. Depends how that would all manifest itself.

I do think it's fair at this point to expect that the Tigers will be over .500.

The free agent class is terrible so that isn't the way. It's via trades and unexpected development. Let's see if Harris has the goods.

If you say you don't want to block young players, actually follow through.

Edited by kdog
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, kdog said:

The free agent class is terrible so that isn't the way. It's via trades and unexpected development. Let's see if Harris has the goods.

If you say you don't want to block young players, actually follow through.

so basically a repeat of last years strategy. Signing pitchers is OK - as they are not really core - they come and go. And sign mostly 'fill a need' utility level position players waiting for your home growns to take over. Great strategy *if* your home growns turn into plus players. Damn big "IF"

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so basically a repeat of last years strategy. Signing pitchers is OK - as they are not really core - they come and go. And sign mostly 'fill a need' utility level position players waiting for your home growns to take over. Great strategy *if* your home growns turn into plus players. Damn big "IF"

Unless they are signing Yamamoto from Japan, I don't see a lot of good fits. The hitters are past the aging curve; Maybe a pitcher on a short team deal to backstop in case of injuries.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2023-mlb-free-agency-ranking-top-25-players-leading-with-shohei-ohtani-yoshinobu-yamamoto-cody-bellinger/

Not a bad plan.  Don't spend just to spend. 

As for predictions.  Obviously there's no relation other than a belief in Karma but the Lions are doing very well so far and have a lot of upside and people are stoked.  The Red Wings and Tigers are in somewhat similar growth areas.  Playoffs is attainable but nobody's saying it's a concrete goal. 

Is it too much for Detroit Sports fans to ask for 3 teams to finally arrive?  It's happened before in this city.