2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

17 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Okay, try on Nola and Bellinger. Hell no on the rest. Why are left handed corner outfield bats doing anything except blocking core players? If you are going to get an outfielder or two, somebody who complements the ones on the roster would be a better use of resources.

We've seen bad Bellinger before, he's too risky IMO. 

19 hours ago, Toddwert said:

anyone? not the crappy 4 A talent.... Nola, bellinger, Pederson, Conforto, Jeimer, Mitch Garver thats just a fast pass thru the list.... does any think that 60 million that doesnt get spent this next year is going to be spent the year after?

If you’re thinking Nola the hitter, he’s not a free agent. Nola the pitcher is a front-of-rotation horse and has current playoff/Series experience. He’ll be 31, and I don’t know how many years/money he can command, but even with a down year, I gotta think it’s five years and nine figures. He can probably get that from a contender, if not the Phillies.

Bellinger has been raking, but he’s also been hurt and playing first. He was an MVP in 2019 and he’ll get down-ballot votes this year, but in between he was also literally one of the worst position guys after his shoulder surgery, so much so that the Dodgers non-tendered him. Despite that he now has a knee injury history, which is always a concern, Boras is probably going to get him something close to 8/200, and they’ll probably get it from a contender before they have to consider the below-.500 Tigers.

The other guys, you don’t really want. Peterson is trending toward permanent DH; Conforto is merely a gimpy, average-ish corner OF without a glove, exactly the kind of guy Dombrowski might sign; Garver is also primarily a DH at age 33 who’s also gimpy; and do you really want three or even four more years of Jeimer?

We are all frustrated by our bottom-of-league hitting and we all want it fixed yesterday, but realistically, there are no All-Star/MVP level hitters out there who are young, cheap, and fill a position of immediate need for us, and if there were, it’s unlikely they’d be willing to go to a perennial non-contender for years on end.

Speaking of position of immediate need, the only two I think we have in that category are third and second, and we have at least one guy banging on the door to get his look at one of them. If they do sign a position player this winter, it might be a guy who’s looking for a career rebound, someone like Kiner-Falefa, and I wouldn’t see him getting more than two years, if even that.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If they do sign a position player this winter, it might be a guy who’s looking for a career rebound, someone like Kiner-Falefa, and I wouldn’t see him getting more than two years, if even that.

What is Kiner-Falefa going to rebound to?  His next season of an OPS at .700 or higher will be his first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

you can nitpick any player to death  so i dont put much stock into the free spending scolds say about my list especially when they dont ever go out on a limb themselves with names

Its been said multiple times, its not a crop of free agent position players this offseason.  I think if the Tigers bring in new position players, it'll be via trade.

Meadows look reasonable at the plate in his debut, and I think can be the CF out of the gate.  Baez is going to return, like it or not.  Rogers showed enough to be a primary catcher.  That's pretty good defense up the middle.  If the Tigers can get good enough offense to where this trio is stuck in the bottom third of the order, that's probably the best possibility going into 2024.

Greene, Torkelson, and Carpenter will hit in the top 6 spots of the lineup.  The key will be adding sufficient bats to the top 6, keeping Greene healthy, and keeping the lesser fielding OF from causing too much damage on a daily basis.  In other words, the less time Carpenter (and/or Malloy if promoted) have a fielding glove on, the better.

But that means getting bats and defense at 2B, 3B, and RF.  It'd be nice for one or two of those spots to be right handed hitting (RF is probably the best spot).  Maybe they can figure out a way for it to work with only one of Malloy/Carpenter in the field and the other at DH.  But will Greene require more time at DH than we might like?  That's kind of tricky.  I suppose they can try it for next season and see what happens.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

you can nitpick any player to death  so i dont put much stock into the free spending scolds say about my list especially when they dont ever go out on a limb themselves with names

I think the names are going to be those of one- or two-year guys for this organization in this stage of our development.

Just now, chasfh said:

I think the names are going to be those of one- or two-year guys for this organization in this stage of our development.

and thats what I want too... people are just assuming we need to sign everyone to 10 year 200 million dollar contracts... they have money that they can incentivize shorter contracts with higher year to year cost

5 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

and thats what I want too... people are just assuming we need to sign everyone to 10 year 200 million dollar contracts... they have money that they can incentivize shorter contracts with higher year to year cost

OK, if you want lower-commitment guys with a proven stick to fill a position of immediate need, and not just a bat to put somewhere anywhere, then Jeimer is your man, and I don't think he takes less than three years. Are you OK with that?

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, if you want lower-commitment guys with a proven stick to fill a position of immediate need, and not just a bat to put somewhere anywhere, then Jeimer is your man, and I don't think he takes less than three years. Are you OK with that?

you dont think he'd take 12 million for 2 years ?or we make a trade for a 3rd baseman

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The only world I consider a Joc or Conforto type is one where Greene has a setback or Baddoo and/or Carpenter are traded. Otherwise, those guys just don't fit on a team with four incumbent left-handed hitting starting outfielders.

Well, I'm not sure that I would assume Baddoo will be returning.  But, still, that would mean 3 incumbent LHH OFs.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Well, I'm not sure that I would assume Baddoo will be returning.  But, still, that would mean 3 incumbent LHH OFs.

I don't see any reason to non-tender or cut Baddoo. He's 25 and definitely has a role. He does make sense as a trade candidate, though.

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Also...

GIVE HIM THE CHAIR!

Never made sense as a strikeout call, but I'll use it here.

Maybin had a story about it.  Somewhere along one of his stops, guys on the bench referred to a strikeout, maybe it was specifically a called 3rd strike to end the inning, as giving a guy a chair to sit down.