2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

Not a bad plan.  Don't spend just to spend. 

As for predictions.  Obviously there's no relation other than a belief in Karma but the Lions are doing very well so far and have a lot of upside and people are stoked.  The Red Wings and Tigers are in somewhat similar growth areas.  Playoffs is attainable but nobody's saying it's a concrete goal. 

Is it too much for Detroit Sports fans to ask for 3 teams to finally arrive?  It's happened before in this city.

I wonder where they rank right now along all teams with those things they want to upgrade. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn they are middle to low end of the pack. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I wonder where they rank right now along all teams with those things they want to upgrade. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn they are middle to low end of the pack. 

Same as it ever was, really... this org can be interested in adding via free agency all it wants, but ultimately the best free agents, or even the ones that might be optimal to the Detroit Tigers, have options and, whether it's money or other considerations, may not sign with this org even if they make a solid offer.

I think this is why Harris emphasizes what he does and about not blocking the young core.... you can tinker around the edges and make plays for some free agents, and maybe even bring a few in (by all means, I think they should be more active on this front than they likely were in 2022).... but ultimately for this team to get to where it needs to be in the long run (ie. legit WS contenders), it needs production from it's young core. There's not a shortcut around that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

“No pre-opt out negotiations planned” reads to me like they’re going to let him walk. If they wanted him to return, they would be negotiating. 

same. he's gone. Harris is not going to show him love or money. Tigers, perhaps correctly, think they can attract similar talents for less $$$ based on what Fetter and CO have been able to do.

with ERod gone, they almost certainly will have a payroll well under 100M so Ilitch will be happy

8 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

funny for years and years we hear we cant or shouldnt spend because of the Cabrera contract and now thats gone  we still say we shouldnt spend... we sound like abuse victims

Who do you like out there that you would want to see us spend big money and years on?

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

same. he's gone. Harris is not going to show him love or money. Tigers, perhaps correctly, think they can attract similar talents for less $$$ based on what Fetter and CO have been able to do.

with ERod gone, they almost certainly will have a payroll well under 100M so Ilitch will be happy

See, that’s what I think, too, that while pitchers like Eduardo might not be a dime a dozen, I think the Tigers believe they’ve developed the secret sauce for getting good to great performances out of any number of pitchers they might pick up. Is that actually true? I guess we’ll see, but it’s hard to argue with the results we’ve seen so far.

If they can replicate that on the hitting side, well, then, Katie bar the door. 

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Who do you like out there that you would want to see us spend big money and years on?

anyone? not the crappy 4 A talent.... Nola, bellinger, Pederson, Conforto, Jeimer, Mitch Garver thats just a fast pass thru the list.... does any think that 60 million that doesnt get spent this next year is going to be spent the year after?

Edited by Toddwert

Just now, chasfh said:

See, that’s what I think, too, that while pitchers like Eduardo might not be a dime a dozen, I think the Tigers believe they’ve developed the secret sauce for getting good to great performances out of any number of pitchers they might pick up. Is that actually true? I guess we’ll see, but it’s hard to argue with the results we’ve seen so far.

If they can replicate that on the hitting side, well, then, Katie bar the door. 

And the starting pitching class this year is relatively deep as well... I'm not sure they will land any of the top flight names, but if they are hanging their hat on reclamation projects and feel they have the secret sauce on that front, they will have a number of options to sort through.

6 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

anyone? not the crappy 4 A talent.... Nola, bellinger, Pederson, Conforto, Jeimer, Mitch Garver thats just a fast pass thru the list.... does any think that 60 million that doesnt get spent this next year is going to be spent the year after?

Maybe, sure but probably won't come here, no, no, no, no.

Okay, try on Nola and Bellinger. Hell no on the rest. Why are left handed corner outfield bats doing anything except blocking core players? If you are going to get an outfielder or two, somebody who complements the ones on the roster would be a better use of resources.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

does any think that 60 million that doesnt get spent this next year is going to be spent the year after?

I'm more focused on whether the acquisitions work for what this ballclubs needs are (including the need to give young talent innings or ABs). Not with whether $60 million gets spent this year or next year or the year after that.

Just now, mtutiger said:

I'm more focused on whether the acquisitions work for what this ballclubs needs are (including the need to give young talent innings or ABs). Not with whether $60 million gets spent this year or next year or the year after that.

i think alot of players would be an upgrade, there isnt one position that couldnt get alot better and if you trust Harris as much as you claim then you would think he wouldnt make a bad deal

1 minute ago, Toddwert said:

i think alot of players would be an upgrade, there isnt one position that couldnt get alot better and if you trust Harris as much as you claim then you would think he wouldnt make a bad deal

So, if Colt Keith comes up and manages to rake at 3B, you think Jeimer Candelario would be better than that?

That's kinda what I'm getting at.... I don't want them signing guys for the sake of signing guys or to the detriment of giving their up and coming talent chances to perform at the MLB level.

Starting pitching is a different story, especially with ERod likely gone, those acquisitions make sense. But when you look at the position player offerings, there's a lot of thin gruel out there.... to the degree that I'd rather they just take a chance on their core versus bringing in overpriced vets.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

Okay, try on Nola and Bellinger. Hell no on the rest. Why are left handed corner outfield bats doing anything except blocking core players? If you are going to get an outfielder or two, somebody who complements the ones on the roster would be a better use of resources.

Tigers are in a weird place for position players because you have some guys you need to play even though you are not sure about them, primarily Parker Meadows and (eventually) Cole Keith. It sort of narrows down what you are willing to spend for. As you said - a RH OF with a better bat than Vierling - absolutely go for it. Catcher - go for it, but the chances there are poor - they aren't any out there. Infield, again, you're sort of stuck with Baez. I suppose you can bench him but you know that will be some kind of last resort, they aren't going to sign a SS to play in front of him - at least not this season. If you are holding one spot for Keith, that leaves you only one spot to pursue another player.

so one OF, one IF. That doesn't project to be a lot of new faces. The can spend some money on the pitching front though.

10 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

This is kinda where I'm at.... there's a few players outfield wise that make some sense on a short term deal (maybe someone like Mark Canha, who bats RH and can also back up 1B), but I'd take my chances on the status quo before giving ABs to Joc Pederson lol

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1