2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I don’t want any more Jordan Zimmermans or Javier Baez contracts.  What’s the success rate on FA signings?  5-1 against? Low risk guys on 1-2 year deals are fine to look for lightning but nothing that drags you down.  Who is out there to sign this winter?

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don’t want any more Jordan Zimmermans or Javier Baez contracts.  What’s the success rate on FA signings?  5-1 against? Low risk guys on 1-2 year deals are fine to look for lightning but nothing that drags you down.  Who is out there to sign this winter?

no one wants to sign a FA who doesn't work out.

but how about Cory Seager, Marcus Simien, Nathan Eovaldi and Jon Gray? if the Rangers don't sign those guys, they are finishing in 3rd place, dreaming about one day being relevant

16 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

no one wants to sign a FA who doesn't work out.

but how about Cory Seager, Marcus Simien, Nathan Eovaldi and Jon Gray? if the Rangers don't sign those guys, they are finishing in 3rd place, dreaming about one day being relevant

The other side of the coin is that if the Rangers young core doesn't come up and perform, they are finishing in third place, dreaming about one day being relevant.

To be clear, the fact that the Tigers young core actually showed promise this year is an argument toward doing more IMO. But I don't think people really understand what the Rangers did when they analyze them. And they also tend to overlook the Mets and Padres, who finished as bad or worse than the Tigers did this year.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The other side of the coin is that if the Rangers young core doesn't come up and perform, they are finishing in third place, dreaming about one day being relevant.

I think its safe to say our young core is up and playing good now its time to add to them

Just now, Toddwert said:

I think its safe to say our young core is up and playing good now its time to add to them

Agreed. But the additions ought to be strategic (ie. adding in areas where the market has actual talent, where players aren't ending up blocked), not just giving Joc Pederson $20 million because he's been around the league a while.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Agreed. But the additions ought to be strategic (ie. adding in areas where the market has actual talent, where players aren't ending up blocked), not just giving Joc Pederson $20 million because he's been around the league a while.

agreed I was just throwing names out that would be interesting its not like im the GM I put a whole 2 minutes into it

50 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I hope we can avoid the 4A dumpster diving. Let the kids play and/or upgrade via trades.

I can’t remember a time when we had 4 legit position prospects that appear to be ready to go at the same time.

Steve Kemp, Lance Parrish, Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell all broke into MLB in 1977.

Although only Kemp produced that year. The other 3 were Sept. callups I believe that ramped up in 1978.

Oh... Tim Corcoran in 1977 too...

😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Steve Kemp, Lance Parrish, Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell all broke into MLB in 1977.

Although only Kemp produced that year. The other 3 were Sept. callups I believe that ramped up in 1978.

😉

I was bummed Corcoran didn't pan out. For about 10 minutes I thought we had something there.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I was bummed Corcoran didn't pan out. For about 10 minutes I thought we had something there.

Back then I was like Echoes.  Every Tiger prospect was going to be great!  That worked out in the late 70s, early 80s....  Then it didn't work anymore.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

😉

So, next year will be like 77.  Just 7 more years until the World Series!

76-87 were my Tigers fan glory years, so repeating that would be fun.  Except I'm old and cynical now.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

So, next year will be like 77.  Just 7 more years until the World Series!

76-87 were my Tigers fan glory years, so repeating that would be fun.  Except I'm old and cynical now.  

I hope we get something better than two playoff appearances in the next ten or so seasons.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I hope we get something better than two playoff appearances in the next ten or so seasons.

I hope so too especially since it's easier to make the playoffs now.  It's gone from 15% to 37.5%.  So, you would expct an average team to make the playoffs 1 or 2 times in 10 years in the 80s but 3 or 4 times today.