2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

you can nitpick any player to death  so i dont put much stock into the free spending scolds say about my list especially when they dont ever go out on a limb themselves with names

They are waiting for all of Avila's picks to graduate to the majors.  

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

you can nitpick any player to death  so i dont put much stock into the free spending scolds say about my list especially when they dont ever go out on a limb themselves with names

I assume I'm one of the "scolds" you are referring to and I threw out Mark Canha's name yesterday.

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's how thin the market is, but don't we gotta make the spend-everything-on-everyone-now people happy? 😉

If they spent on the right players last year, they would have been in the race down to the end.  If they spent on the wrong players, then no, but you can't win if you don't play.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If they spent on the right players last year, they would have been in the race down to the end.  If they spent on the wrong players, then no, but you can't win if you don't play.  

but we dont get the good money spenders trophy if we do that

3 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

dont we have enough weak hitting players without bringing in more

Mark Canha had a 2.2 WAR this year. Joc had a 0.6 WAR. And he was about equivalent to, if not better, than Joc in just about every offensive category.

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Well, who else are you referring to then?

Probably me... I don't particularly care. I don't see why "well, name your own list of names from this awful crop of free agents" is a valid response to the fact that the ones listed are poor fits on the roster as it stands now.

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

you can nitpick any player to death...

They SHOULD be nitpicked to death.

Otherwise, the team makes a STUPID signing like Jordan Zimmerman, or Javier Baez. 

I'm not interested in the team making more stupid signings.

You are?

In fact, I am hoping that Harris is a guy that avoids dumb decisions like that.

19 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Probably me... I don't particularly care. I don't see why "well, name your own list of names from this awful crop of free agents" is a valid response to the fact that the ones listed are poor fits on the roster as it stands now.

It's also a completely legitimate viewpoint, fwiw.