2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Totally Tigers and Heyman are not the most reliable combo!  However, I have seen elsewhere (I believe Morosi) thst the Tigers have checked in on Yamamoto.  

So the unreliable combo agrees with your reliable sources? What next, dogs sleeping with cats? 😝

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I would be surprised if we simply non-tender him without comment and let that just be the end of it. Some fans may not care either way but I don’t think the team will take the risk coming off looking heartless by doing that.

BTW, what’s a “BP hit”? Is that a bullpen hit, a batting practice hit, something else? I can’t keep up with the changing acronyms anymore … 😉

Blood Pressure?

5 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I wonder if wanting to play with Austin will help with Parkers Anxiety ... having a familiar face around might help

Backwards...it's Austin with the anxiety. Parker seems fine, so far.

Anxiety can be a very serious medical condition. It can lead to major panic attacks, eating disorders, insomnia and many other chronic conditions. Many times, it's a lifelong struggle. Playing in front of large crowds isn't the ideal career choice. I feel for the guy, I had an uncle who had anxiety so bad, he couldn't leave his house. Meds and therapy may help but some people never fully recover. The hell with baseball, we're talking about basic humanity.

Edited by Sports_Freak

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I would be surprised if we simply non-tender him without comment and let that just be the end of it. Some fans may not care either way but I don’t think the team will take the risk coming off looking heartless by doing that.

BTW, what’s a “BP hit”? Is that a bullpen hit, a batting practice hit, something else? I can’t keep up with the changing acronyms anymore … 😉

I was surprised no-one on the team had even been keeping in communication with him. I guess since his contract is up and he was done for the year,  there was no 'investment' interest at play, but I still found that odd. Maybe isolation was the prescription - who knows? We don't know if his issues are just a baseball performance thing or if he's having broader problems generally. I sort of thought if he were doing OK in life outside his own baseball career he might have shown up to see Parker play. I can understand enough of the reasons why he wouldn't but I still thought he might.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Anxiety can be a very serious medical condition. It can lead to major panic attacks, eating disorders, insomnia and many other chronic conditions. Many times, it's a lifelong struggle. Playing in front of large crowds isn't the ideal career choice. I feel for the guy, I had an uncle who had anxiety so bad, he couldn't leave his house. Meds and therapy may help but some people never fully recover. The hell with baseball, we're talking about basic humanity.

OTOH, he'd been playing high level sports for a long time before it hit so something changed for him. It's tempting to say whatever changed should be able to be changed back, but not always how it works.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

OTOH, he'd been playing high level sports for a long time before it hit so something changed for him. It's tempting to say whatever changed should be able to be changed back, but not always how it works.....

Being traded to the Tigers?  

On 10/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Jim Eisenreich had a battle with Tourette’s that sidelined him for 2 full seasons early in his MLB career.  He sat out his age 26 & 27 seasons.  Made a comeback and played until he was 39.

I don’t want to compare the situations.  It doesn’t sound like Tourette’s is an issue with MeadowsA.  I don’t think it’s been mentioned.  Hopefully he can get through his situation and have a productive life.  I only bring up Eisenreich as an illustration of a non physical issue that a former MLB player faced and was fortunate enough to get the right he,p that he needed which allowed him to return to the diamond.

6 hours ago, casimir said:

Jim Eisenreich had a battle with Tourette’s that sidelined him for 2 full seasons early in his MLB career.  He sat out his age 26 & 27 seasons.  Made a comeback and played until he was 39.

I don’t want to compare the situations.  It doesn’t sound like Tourette’s is an issue with MeadowsA.  I don’t think it’s been mentioned.  Hopefully he can get through his situation and have a productive life.  I only bring up Eisenreich as an illustration of a non physical issue that a former MLB player faced and was fortunate enough to get the right he,p that he needed which allowed him to return to the diamond.

Eisenreich's comeback was a success story.  I remember when he played for the crazy Phillies teams of the 90s, Kruk told him: "For the fitrst time in your life, you're the most normal person on the team".   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Eisenreich's comeback was a success story.  I remember when he played for the crazy Phillies teams of the 90s, Kruk told him: "For the fitrst time in your life, you're the most normal person on the team".   

I think they nicknamed him "Manson".

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-for-2024.html

MLB Trade Rumors Projected Arb Salaries for all teams

Tigers (8)

Edited by Toddwert

Eligible for minor league free agency (5 days after the World Series ends; players removed from the 40 man can be added to this list; some players may have multi-year deals or successor contracts and may not be free agents; players can be added to the 40 man roster to be removed)

Pitchers

• Luis Acosta (DSL Tigers 2)
  • Elvis Alvarado (Erie)
  • Jose Alvarez (Toledo)
  • Braden Bristo (Toledo)
  • Gregoris Chalas (FCL Tigers)
  • Sam Clay (Toledo)
  • Angel De Jesus (Erie)
  • Rony Garcia (Toledo - Can declare by October 15)
  • Max Green (Lakeland)
  • Sean Guenther (Toledo)
  • Wilkel Hernandez (West Michigan)
  • Eiker Huizi (Lakeland)
  • Marco Jimenez (Lakeland)
  • Eric Mendez (Lakeland)
  • Keider Montero (Toledo)
  • Henry Montilla (FCL Tigers)
  • Tim Naughton (Erie)
  • Cleiverth Perez (Lakeland)
  • DJ Peters (FCL Tigers)
  • Bryan Sammons (Toledo)
  • Yosber Sanchez (Lakeland)
  • Cristhian Tortosa (West Michigan)
  • Aneurys Zabala (Toledo)

Catchers

• Eliezer Alfonzo (Erie)
  • Mario Feliciano (Erie)
  • Mike Papierski (Toledo)
  • Julio Rodriguez (Erie)

Infielders

• Bryan Encarnacion (DSL Tigers 2)
  • Quincy Nieporte (Toledo)
  • Luis Santana (Erie)
  • Luis Watter (DSL Tigers 2)

Outfielders

• Nick Solak (Toledo)
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Looking at that list, we certainly can't say that "the Tigers don't sign enough Latin American players".  They just don't sign the correct ones.

It's worth noting a lot of teams sign previously released players to fill their Dominican Complex rosters. Those players are eligible for free agency right away and represent a bulk of those players. The only original Tigers International signees on that list are De Jesus, Jimenez, Montero (likely will be added), Perez, Tortosa, and Alfonzo.

Also, the pure nature of players being signed at 16 means Latin players are more likely to hit minor league free agency, considering their clock is running out around 23 or 24. Drafted players rarely make it the full seven years.

Edited by Edman85

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

It's worth noting a lot of teams sign previously released players to fill their Dominican Complex rosters. Those players are eligible for free agency right away and represent a bulk of those players. The only original Tigers International signees on that list are De Jesus, Jimenez, Montero (likely will be added), Perez, Tortosa, and Alfonzo.

That answers my question about how a guy on DSL2 can be a free agent. 

13 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I put a little work into my service time sheet, adding some roster restrictions to the front page.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jRnDAcv86yGYl1Tq6fdXD1VoGr2Ls5PiRBNEFBXHL3Y/edit#gid=0

I've been wondering about this really great workbook you keep—is it automated in some way? Such as, do you have it connected to other databases and then you refresh it to update it? Or do you manually input each data point yourself?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I've been wondering about this really great workbook you keep—is it automated in some way? Such as, do you have it connected to other databases and then you refresh it to update it? Or do you manually input each data point yourself?

Some is automated (Standings for waiver order, service time counter is automated but I need to nudge it for transactions). A lot of stuff is just copy/paste which is easy.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Some is automated (Standings for waiver order, service time counter is automated but I need to nudge it for transactions). A lot of stuff is just copy/paste which is easy.

I'm fascinated by Excel's ability to automatically update tables connected to websites or databases. I have a few of those, connected to Fangraphs mostly, although they are a pain to diagnose when they inexplicably break. Sometimes it's FG's fault and it gets fixed eventually; other times, who knows. I also keep Excel sheets that are connected to CSV files I download from OOTP to help me manage teams, set lineups, etc.