23-24 Prospects Thread

Alex Lyon got cut on his hand yesterday at Worlds and is out of the tournament.  

Trey Augustine came in and played well and looks to be the starter the rest of the way.

This is very, very rare for U20 college goalie to get this kind of experience against pros at Worlds.  

• Like 1

Looks like the powers that be at USA Hockey chose to start Alex Nedeljkovic instead today against Slovakia.   Not a good choice as Ned let in 4 on 16 shots and is replaced by Trey in the 2nd.   

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

which raises a question: Is Elmer still on the radar or is the view that he has plateaued short of the NHL?

i saw a guy who is going to need to increase the aggressiveness and physicality a lot if he wants to succeed in the nhl.  and he hasnt exactly torn up the ahl either.

he's so big and has skilled hands.  he should be tomas holmstrom.  parked in front of the net and digging in corners.  like ras was when he was actually trying/not injured.

but he doesnt.  he floats through games.  unless he wants to get dirty and physical, he'll be back in sweden in a year or two.

58 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

which raises a question: Is Elmer still on the radar or is the view that he has plateaued short of the NHL?

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

i saw a guy who is going to need to increase the aggressiveness and physicality a lot if he wants to succeed in the nhl.  and he hasnt exactly torn up the ahl either.

he's so big and has skilled hands.  he should be tomas holmstrom.  parked in front of the net and digging in corners.  like ras was when he was actually trying/not injured.

but he doesnt.  he floats through games.  unless he wants to get dirty and physical, he'll be back in sweden in a year or two.

I think buddha is right on the money but I also will say there is a slight chance he will improve as he gets older and more comfortable in his body.  He's 22, at this age Tage Thompson (2 inches shorter than Elmer) played 1 NHL game and at age 23 Tage put up 14 points in 38 NHL games.  These large kids take a little bit longer to develop, and Elmer has really soft hands for his size, but I do worry about his lack of edge / intensity.