23-24 Prospects Thread

Raymond, Seider and Veleno are due for new contracts at bigger $$$.  Perron and Sprong are probably not coming back. Fischer needs to be back.   Would love to sign Kane...but would it make more sense to go after someone like Guentzel or even Stamkos or Reinhart?  On defense...would love to sign Ghost.  They need to find a way to move on from one of Petry or Holl.  They're redundant.   

Guys like Mazur,Tuomisto and Kasper would be nice cheap additions if they're ready....as would Danielson

23 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

They need to find a way to move on from one of Petry or Holl. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Petry back. He is the kind of player coaches probably love. He's almost always doing the right thing - the problem is he never does it well enough to make a difference. He gets back, but he doesn't pressure, is always 'there' but he never regains possession, he will get the puck out of the zone, but the poor outlet pass will usually lead to very short possession. I'd rather live with any mistake a guy like Edvinsson makes because the rest of time he is making an impact - he cuts off rushes, wins battles at the boards, moves the puck, etc - but plays by the other team that never happen and goals not given up don't get highlighted on the tele-strators in the film room the way a bad turn over does.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Raymond, Seider and Veleno are due for new contracts at bigger $$$.  Perron and Sprong are probably not coming back. Fischer needs to be back.   Would love to sign Kane...but would it make more sense to go after someone like Guentzel or even Stamkos or Reinhart?  On defense...would love to sign Ghost.  They need to find a way to move on from one of Petry or Holl.  They're redundant.   

Guys like Mazur,Tuomisto and Kasper would be nice cheap additions if they're ready....as would Danielson

veleno is easily replaceable.  i wouldnt spend anything on him other than a typical 4th liner interchangeable player.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

As far as I'm concerned... Gost provides power play +

But is a negative everywhere else.

IMO: no thanks.

PP is an important unit...he's perfect in that role as a 3rd pairing dman who can play either side

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

As far as I'm concerned... Gost provides power play +

But is a negative everywhere else.

IMO: no thanks.

IDK. It's true he's not the greatest defensive Dman, but I'd hate to give up the skating. I almost fell out of my seat when one of the network guys said the Penguins had to slow the game down because they couldn't skate with the Wings. Maybe not with Larkin and Raymond, but the drop off from there to the rest of the team does not make for the Wings being an overall fast team.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Would love to sign Kane...but would it make more sense....

If the Wings already had the strength at Center and the blue line and Kane's scoring would put them over the top (sort of like adding Brett Hull to an already good Wings team), it would be all good, but I don't see the Wings getting to that point this off season, so the I'd prefer to spend the resource where the needs are more vital - assuming Yzerman can find any of those better candidates, which is no sure thing.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If the Wings already had the strength at Center and the blue line and Kane's scoring would put them over the top (sort of like adding Brett Hull to an already good Wings team), it would be all good, but I don't see the Wings getting to that point this off season, so the I'd prefer to spend the resource where the needs are more vital - assuming Yzerman can find any of those better candidates, which is no sure thing.

Kane provides offensive flair that they just dont have.  i'd sign him to a reasonable deal.

i do think he's fallen off at the end.

the real problem is now you start to see the dangers of paying copp and compher to longer term deals.  those guys arent going anywhere and they've both turned out to be average players.  now there's a bit of a logjam where you could have used that spot - and that money - to bring in a more skilled skater.

Kasper scores two (4g 5a in his last 12) and Cossa stops 21 of 22 in a 3-1 Griffs win.  Cossa got rare back to back starts this weekend stopping 22 of 24 in a 2-0 !loss to Rockford Fri night

Berggren has 30pts (16g 14A) in his last 25.   Don't know if the org views him as a prospect these days

43 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

... Berggren has 30pts (16g 14A) in his last 25.   Don't know if the org views him as a prospect these days

I think they view him as a prospect...

With definite offensive potential...

Who sucks on the defensive side of things.

Hopefully some team will be willing to give something up for Berggren  - who could be an asset for a the right team - one that is already strong defensively but needs finishers on offense. But for the Wings who are weak defensively and already have DeBrincat (and possibly Kane) he might well be worth more as a trade chip.

Ghost was the biggest desperate search for offense Addition this year...

And yes, Cat and Kane offer more than Berggren and he's not going to usurp their position on the Wings, so...

Find another team desperate for offense who might be willing to take a chance on Berggren... and that probably means a rebuilding team that has the bandwidth to take chances on a player like him...

I have no idea what value that has, if anything at all... but I'm hoping it's more than zero.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Ghost was the biggest desperate search for offense Addition this year...

They succeeded to some degree. They have scored 29 more goals this season than last plus whatever they add in the last two. But the goals against only dropped by 10, and it will less than that by the end. So while Yzerman turned over some Dmen last off season, the D didn't get substantially bettter, if at all. And of course not enough of our forwards are effective two ways either.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 4/14/2024 at 6:54 PM, gehringer_2 said:

They succeeded to some degree. They have scored 29 more goals this season than last plus whatever they add in the last two. But the goals against only dropped by 10, and it will less than that by the end. So while Yzerman turned over some Dmen last off season, the D didn't get substantially bettter, if at all. And of course not enough of our forwards are effective two ways either.

So in the end they scored 38 more and gave up only 5 fewer - so in the end virtually no improvement in the D + goal tending at all. OTOH, if they can improve as much from this year to next as from last yr to this, they are a solid playoff team.