23-24 Prospects Thread

3 hours ago, buddha said:

they got lucky this year and found patrick kane

and whether Patrick Kane is a RedWing next season is a good question. Kane is probably loving playing with DeBrincat and sometimes Larkin (the three of them on the rush for DeBrincat's goal against the Caps was a thing of beauty) but if he finishes healthy he's going to want to get paid and I'll be surprised if the Wings offer him as much as some other team will.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

and whether Patrick Kane is a RedWing next season is a good question. Kane is probably loving playing with DeBrincat and sometimes Larkin (the three of them on the rush for DeBrincat's goal against the Caps was a thing of beauty) but if he finishes healthy he's going to want to get paid and I'll be surprised if the Wings offer him as much as some other team will.

the wings have the cap space to offer him $5-7 mil per year for 2 or 3 years.

i dont know who else has the space to offer him more where he would want to play.  does he really want to go back to chicago?  anaheim?  san jose?

I think it is only a mater of time that the Wings sign Kane to an extension, the people that kept hinting that Detroit was going to inevitably sign Kane make it seem like he wants to be in Detroit to finish his career.  The sense I get is that he wanted to be with the Wings for a bit and the Wings went with the one year deal to test out his hip, moving forward unless he injures himself I think he'll sign.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

When will they have to re-up Raymond and Seider?

they can offer them bridge contracts after this year, but it will be better to sign them both long term now.

8×8.5 for seider and 7x7.5 for raymond is what max has them at.

he also has kane down for $5m next year which i think is ambitious.  kane has shown he's still a point per game player.  i think its going to be more like $7m.  i know he's old and coming off a bad injury, but guys like him age well (if the hip truly is no longer an issue).

2 hours ago, buddha said:

wheeler's top 75:

11) edvinsson

24) asp

40) kasper

42) danielson

mazur gets an honorable mention.

michkov was #1.  nemec #2.

wheeler has a type: small, fast, skill players.  just an fyi.

still can't figure what they are waiting for with Edvinsson.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Wings have called up Edvinsson!!!

would love have been the fly on the wall in this discussion between Lalonde and Yzerman. I wonder if one of them is happier than the other and which.

Well, here's hoping he's got some game

Edited by gehringer_2

Cossa seems more like the bridge to Augustine than he does the longterm #1 of the future.   That being said, goalies are weird and they develop in strange ways.   Maybe the hardest position in all of sports to accurately predict development.  

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Not sure why you view Cossa as a bridge to a goalie who wasnt evaluated as highly and has less of a track record.

Agree.

Cossa has the MUCH higher upside and looks like he could be our #1 as early as 2024-25. Maybe even before this season is out if they'd only let him play in Detroit.

Lyon is looking less than stellar recently.

Augustine's scouting profile reads "might possibly be a #2 goalie in the NHL."

I think people are getting confused...

Edited by 1984Echoes

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Not sure why you view Cossa as a bridge to a goalie who wasnt evaluated as highly and has less of a track record.

Simple.  I think Augustine has been better as an 18 year old than Cossa was at the same age.   His international experience has been tremendous and he’s been one of the best in all of college hockey.  He only turned 19 three weeks ago.    

Can you link that scouting report @1984Echoes.  I’d like to read it. Curious to see how recent it was as well.  

Edited by Hongbit

This is Scott Wheeler from the Athletic, I think last updated Feb 29th:

(paywall) https://theathletic.com/5297198/2024/02/29/red-wings-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-2024/

This one might now be what I was reading earlier about thinking he's only a backup... I'll be back with that too as soon as I find that... but this has some of the same concerns at least delineated:

Paraphrased:

6. Trey Augustine, G, 18 (Michigan State University)

(ME: The Good): The definition of calm, cool, and collected, Augustine is the best goalie prospect to come through the national program since Spencer Knight ... He’s just dialed in, by all accounts just as much off the ice in the way he carries himself and goes about his business as on the ice, where his game has rare detail and intellect for a netminder his age. He’s got a good glove hand... He’s just a good goalie.

(ME: Not quite as good): ...while he’s not big for a goalie (listed 6-foot-1 and 179 pounds), he’s a goalie I have a ton of confidence in projecting to have a good pro career. He doesn’t have obvious starter talent or size, but I could see him getting there (or at the very least becoming a solid, reliable tandem goalie). I’d trust him to play for my team and remain even-keeled any day.

So it looks like Scott Wheeler has him above that... but he certainly is not saying that Augustine is a can't miss future #1, he's not even certain he can get to #1 level...

Not saying Cossa is can't miss... but he is projected at least with a higher athletic level and upside.

The hockeywriters believe Augustine is the Wings 11th best prospect and a "high-floor" goalie without defining that...

Although usually "high-floor" means "high-floor/low-ceiling" but again, they didn't define what they actually meant by that.

Cossa is a better player than Augustine right now.   Cossa is also a little more than 2 years older. I won’t deny Augustine being the 11th rated Wings prospect right now.     

I am betting that on March 21st, 2026, when Augustine will be the same age as Cossa is today, he will be viewed better than people view Cossa right now.    

But remember my caveat from my first post.  Predicting future goalie success is not a hill any of us should want to die on.  

One side thing - Knocking a goalie about size is stupid.   Many different body types and playing styles have created great goalies.  It’s not really a factor one way or another in making a goalie. 

I also agree on the size thing...

I don't really want to make a judgement on Augustine until he at least gets a full season in GR...

I wouldn't be comfortable drawing any kind of conclusions what he may or not turn into until he's close enough (GR) to the NHL to get that comfort level.

Until then... I just go with what the scouts say...

with a "we'll just see" attitude and awaiting enough time/ nearness to NHL before drawing conclusions.

I like his upside/ attitude however. Especially the "steady as a rock" reports... To me that means he's good for the locker room whether he hits his "floor" (backup/ tandem) or is able to push well beyond that.

At this point, to me, it's: "Cossa looks like a potential #1" and "Damn! Augustine looks really good... but we'll see where that gets him in a couple years...".

Edited by 1984Echoes