23-24 Prospects Thread

28 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Cossa has had two successful professional seasons...Augustine has had a good year in college.  Im not trying to diminish him as a prospect..but I dont see any evidence to project him ahead of Cossa

Augustine has quite a bit more on his young resume than just a good year in college.  

Either way you’re comparing the 21 year old Cossa with the 19 year old Augustine.  I want to compare the 21 year old Cossa with the 21 year old Augustine.    

48 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Cossa has had two successful professional seasons...Augustine has had a good year in college.  Im not trying to diminish him as a prospect..but I dont see any evidence to project him ahead of Cossa

one good year in college...and dominating on the international scene.

when cossa was augustine's age he couldnt even break into the lineup on the international game.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

one good year in college...and dominating on the international scene.

when cossa was augustine's age he couldnt even break into the lineup on the international game.

Didn't someone say "It doesn't matter where you start, it's where you finish."?

How they compared to each other in any given year, especially given how different they are physically, is good forum speculation fodder but probably isn't a particularly good predictor of where either ends up. Bigger guys often take longer to master the body they've grown into.

11 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Augustine has quite a bit more on his young resume than just a good year in college.  

Either way you’re comparing the 21 year old Cossa with the 19 year old Augustine.  I want to compare the 21 year old Cossa with the 21 year old Augustine.    

Noooo....I'm comparing a prospect who carried a 1st round grade in his draft year...was drafted in the 1st rd and now has two years of success in pro leagues against a guy who was and is not as highly rated.  Augustine played well this year....so has Cossa.  Its a great situation for the franchise....having two young goalies in the system with NHL potential.

I' m not sure why some Wings fans are down on Cossa as prospect when he's progressed nicely since his draft year

6 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Noooo....I'm comparing a prospect who carried a 1st round grade in his draft year...was drafted in the 1st rd and now has two years of success in pro leagues against a guy who was and is not as highly rated.  Augustine played well this year....so has Cossa.  Its a great situation for the franchise....having two young goalies in the system with NHL potential.

I' m not sure why some Wings fans are down on Cossa as prospect when he's progressed nicely since his draft year

I’m not down on Cossa.  This isn’t a shot on him.  He’s a great prospect that has progressed nicely.   I’m just very high on Augustine and I think he’s further along than Cossa was at the same stage.    Agree it is an excellent situation for the team.  

One other thing.  Last years draft was very deep and viewed as one of the better ones in recent memory.    Let’s not get too carried away with dinging Augustine for being a 2nd rounder in a deep draft vs. Cossa as a mid 1st round round pick in the Owen Power draft that wasn’t viewed as being as deep.  

Cossa and Wallstedt carried 1st rd grades that year...its rare that any goalie carries a rd 1 grade.  Trying to determine depth of draft vs rating on a year by year basis is pretty subjective....not sure it can be done until years in the future

At any rate...both of our top goalie prospects had great weekends

Cossa picked up a point in his 15th straight game...something that hasn't been done in GR since 2002 and Augustine was selected most outstanding player in the B1G tournament.

Goalie was a system wide weakness when Yzerman took over.  Like a lot of postions..we have some depth now

Will we see Cossa next year? Will he have a shot out of training camp? Would they make him play in GR at the start of the season and consider calling him up late like Edvinsson? I don’t follow closely enough to know when the rebuild should really, finally start to turn the corner. 

Just now, Jason_R said:

Will we see Cossa next year? Will he have a shot out of training camp? Would they make him play in GR at the start of the season and consider calling him up late like Edvinsson? I don’t follow closely enough to know when the rebuild should really, finally start to turn the corner. 

if this year is any indication there will be lots of guys who should be called up but wont be because theyre blocked.

if they re-sign perron that will be another block to guys like mazur or kasper.

at some point, if theyre going to keep rolling with the veteran clubhouse presence dudes, theyre going to need to trade some of these young players for a star type player before their prospect sign wears off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Will we see Cossa next year? Will he have a shot out of training camp? Would they make him play in GR at the start of the season and consider calling him up late...

I sincerely hope not.

Not to be rude (to the Wings & Stevie) but...

"Out with the Old, IN with the New"...

IMO.

Trade Husso.

In the offseason.

I'm not really sure I care what the return is. Although if viewed as a salary dump (basically it would be) then it might actually cost us a draft pick, or at least a trade down/swap of a pick (like the Cholowski over Chychrun pick swap fiasco...). 

7 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Trade Husso.

In the offseason.

I'm not really sure I care what the return is. Although if viewed as a salary dump (basically it would be) then it might actually cost us a draft pick, or at least a trade down/swap of a pick (like the Cholowski over Chychrun pick swap fiasco...). 

if he can find anyone to take husso's salary he's a genius.

12 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Trey Augustine's MSU plays Michigan in the NCAA Regional Final today on ESPNU. Trip to the Frozen Four on the line.

https://mgoblog.com/content/hockey-preview-michigan-state-ncaa-tournament#read-more

This will be the 6th time these two teams have played this season.   MSU leads 4-1 but Michigan’s only win was a 7-1 curb stomping at Munn.   

Wings picks Red Savage (MSU) and Kieran Draper (UM) also in action.