23-24 Prospects Thread

2 hours ago, buddha said:

what would you give up for casey mittlestadt?

Ignoring what the actual cost would be just for a moment:

If the cost were exactly the same: would you prefer Casey Mittlestadt or Filip Chytil?

Just wondering what you guys think between these two (question is open to anyone and everyone)...

Wheeler in the Athletic is counting down the top prospect pools...revealing one team a day.  The Wings will be somewhere in the top 3.  He's been somewhat dismissive of Cossa as a prospect...it will be interesting to see if his AHL performance changes that perception

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Wheeler in the Athletic is counting down the top prospect pools...revealing one team a day.  The Wings will be somewhere in the top 3.  He's been somewhat dismissive of Cossa as a prospect...it will be interesting to see if his AHL performance changes that perception

asp tearing up the swedish league and danileson doing well after the trade to portland should help too.

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Wheeler probably still isn't convinced Seider was a good pick either 🙄

I'm surprised they're top two, guessing Buffalo is #1 based on Wheeler's preferred types in his rankings.  But it makes sense to me, the Wings have pretty intriguing prospects across the board now with Danielson - Kasper at center, Edvinsson - ASP on defense, and Cossa - Augustine in net.  That's ignoring the handful of other guys who are in the AHL / potentially close to the NHL, and then lottery tickets like Buchelnikov who just had a solid season in the KHL.  Andrew Gibson has definitely shot up rankings this season as well this season.  Nothing is certain with these kids but the Wings have done a good job building potential depth in the system. It has been a lot of fun following prospects this season.

Looks like Mazur is out with an injury tonight, hopefully it is nothing serious because he's been playing well lately.  I think they've been using Berggren - Kasper - Mazur a bit and they've had some success. 

3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I'm surprised they're top two, guessing Buffalo is #1 based on Wheeler's preferred types in his rankings.  But it makes sense to me, the Wings have pretty intriguing prospects across the board now with Danielson - Kasper at center, Edvinsson - ASP on defense, and Cossa - Augustine in net.  That's ignoring the handful of other guys who are in the AHL / potentially close to the NHL, and then lottery tickets like Buchelnikov who just had a solid season in the KHL.  Andrew Gibson has definitely shot up rankings this season as well this season.  Nothing is certain with these kids but the Wings have done a good job building potential depth in the system. It has been a lot of fun following prospects this season.

Looks like Mazur is out with an injury tonight, hopefully it is nothing serious because he's been playing well lately.  I think they've been using Berggren - Kasper - Mazur a bit and they've had some success. 

berggren too.  guy scored double digit goals in the nhl as a 22 year old.

i suspect its

edvinsson

asp

danielson

cossa

kasper

mazur

augustin

wallinder

johannsen

gibson

buium

berggren might have aged out of it.  they may not have that one guy who profiles as a top prospect, but they have a ton of depth.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

berggren too.  guy scored double digit goals in the nhl as a 22 year old.

i suspect its

edvinsson

asp

danielson

cossa

kasper

mazur

augustin

wallinder

johannsen

gibson

buium

berggren might have aged out of it.  they may not have that one guy who profiles as a top prospect, but they have a ton of depth.

red wings at #2.

edvinsson

asp

kasper

danielson

cossa

augustine

mazur

wallinder

buchelnikov

soderblom

buium

gibson

dower-nilsson

lombardi

johannson

no top 10 forwards, but two top 10 d's and the only org with two top 10 goalies.  two or three forwards who will be solid nhl players.

Cracks me up that he references Cossa's jr team as a knock on him...still.   He suggests they made him look better than he was.  He also reiterates his opinion that they should have taken  Zach Benson instead of Danielson last year.  He really has a fetish for small wings

Edited by Shinzaki

once again buffalo is the atop the prospect lists and at the bottom of the standings, looking to trade previously top rated prospects because they cant pay them all.

you have to wonder if a better strategy would be to do what yzerman did: sign a bunch of veterans to blend in with the youth.  make the younger players wait.

(and sign patrick kane)

42 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

If Vancouver is forced to deal Pettersson...Yzerman def has the ammo to get him.

Rumors are out there about Tkachuk wanting out of Ottawa...cant see the Sens shipping him to us...but again, Wings have the ammo

i do suspect at some point they will have to deal for a "star" if they want to compete for cups.

they got lucky this year and found patrick kane on the scrap heap and signed him for nothing.  i doubt that happens in the future (or ever).

yzerman has said before that he'd rather trade for known players than draft picks.  he has had a few years to build up the barren farm system and had done a great job of it.  

i dont think they should be dealing prospects for rentals, theyre not at that point this year, but over the summer?  maybe someone shakes loose like a tkachuck or kyle connor in winnipeg with their financial problems?

as you say, now they have the prospect ammo to go get them.