23-24 Prospects Thread

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

To me they are both still big question marks; Lyon because he hasn't done it long enough to start believing he's improved that much from his career norm, Husso because he wasn't playing that well before he went down.

I only made my guess because they're the only two goalies under contract next season unless they call someone up or sign someone else honestly.  Unless Lyon completely falls on his face I think he's earned at least another look.  Husso I'm hoping it was a combo of our bad defense this season + injury stuff because he's been bad.  I think he had a shutout in his only AHL conditioning action though....

the best case scenario is cossa forces his way onto the team next year.  with that said, edvinnson didnt this year and he was ready, i would be surprised if cossa did next year with husso still on that large deal.

lyon is only on a one year deal, right?

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

the best case scenario is cossa forces his way onto the team next year.  with that said, edvinnson didnt this year and he was ready, i would be surprised if cossa did next year with husso still on that large deal.

lyon is only on a one year deal, right?

Sportrac says we have him through next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/detroit-red-wings/alex-lyon-18903/

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Trade Husso in the summer

Let Cossa battle Lyon for the 31 goalie spot in 2024-25.

trade him for what?  you'd have to retain 50% salary at a minimum.  he isnt playing well, wjy would another team want him?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

trade him for what?  you'd have to retain 50% salary at a minimum.  he isnt playing well, wjy would another team want him?

LOL - I was just coming back from the store and heard Caputo on the radio extolling how strong the Wings goaltending was going to be down the stretch because  Husso was coming back. 

OK Pat.

17 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Assists in the replies to the main tweet, 19 points in 12 games with Portland now

"SO much offensive zone puck possession..."

THAT's what we need more of.

Guys who can get ahold of the puck, and NOT lose it to the other team...

Actually, both on offense as well as defense.

Stop turning the puck over, IOW.

The Atlantic article on Kasper's growth.

https://theathletic.com/5284153/2024/02/19/red-wings-prospect-marco-kasper/?access_token=12041601

Paywalled, I believe, but here is the first part:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The play that Griffins coach Dan Watson feels should be at the top of Marco Kasper’s highlight reel might surprise you.

It’s not the between-the-legs goal he scored earlier this month against Manitoba, taking a pass at the net front and then fooling the goalie by tucking it through his own legs and in. It wasn’t the flashy assist he tallied in mid-November against Chicago, drawing in a defender on the rush before making a backhand pass into space for Jonatan Berggren. It actually didn’t earn him a point at all.

That’s because the play Watson reserves that comment for was a different kind of highlight. It was Kasper’s racing end to end to beat an icing call, then holding off three Belleville Senators in a battle behind the net for nearly 15 seconds until Berggren eventually scooped up the puck and banked it in for a game-sealing goal.

“If he had a highlight reel, that should be it right there,” Watson told The Athletic over the weekend. “Because that’s who he’s going to be.”

That’s because the play Watson reserves that comment for was a different kind of highlight. It was Kasper’s racing end to end to beat an icing call, then holding off three Belleville Senators in a battle behind the net for nearly 15 seconds until Berggren eventually scooped up the puck and banked it in for a game-sealing goal.

“If he had a highlight reel, that should be it right there,” Watson told The Athletic over the weekend. “Because that’s who he’s going to be.”

On 2/19/2024 at 11:16 PM, lordstanley said:

The Atlantic article on Kasper's growth.

https://theathletic.com/5284153/2024/02/19/red-wings-prospect-marco-kasper/?access_token=12041601

Paywalled, I believe, but here is the first part:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The play that Griffins coach Dan Watson feels should be at the top of Marco Kasper’s highlight reel might surprise you.

It’s not the between-the-legs goal he scored earlier this month against Manitoba, taking a pass at the net front and then fooling the goalie by tucking it through his own legs and in. It wasn’t the flashy assist he tallied in mid-November against Chicago, drawing in a defender on the rush before making a backhand pass into space for Jonatan Berggren. It actually didn’t earn him a point at all.

I was at that Griffins game.  What a fun game.  The whole sequence at the end was wild.  Winged Wheel Podcast night and they had an interview with Edvinsson after the game.  He said it was his first fight. Fly Toasters Fly!