23-24 Prospects Thread

He finally scores.  Hopefully helps his confidence.

Grand Rapids has been an absolute mess so far this season.  Lombardi was a healthy scratch the game before this, seems like solid younger players are sitting out games as well.  They need to figure something out there because they're worse than last season.

ASP looking really good in these highlights

With the Wings seemingly having elevated themselves to a solid wildcard team now, I'm as interested as ever as to what injections of young talent we can expect to receive so that wildcards aren't the Wings' ceiling the next few years. Who realistically are upgrades to the current roster and when could they be expected to hit the NHL? Everyone on this thread has a better sense of this than I do, so please modify the stab I'm taking at it:

- Edvinsson, D, 2023-2024 season (drafted #6 overall, 2021)

- Kaspar, C, 2024-2025 (drafted #8 overall, 2022)

- Danielson, C, 2024-2025 or 2025-2026 (drafted #9 overall, 2023)

- ASP, D, 2026-2027 (drafted #17 overall, 2023) 

- Cossa, G, 2026-2027 (drafted #15 overall, 2021)

Guys like Mazur, Wallinder, Soderblom, Baium, Lombardi I guess all have shots at making a future roster, but unlikely to move the needle, no? Anyone I'm missing?

Edited by lordstanley

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

With the Wings seemingly having elevated themselves to a solid wildcard team now, I'm as interested as ever as to what injections of young talent we can expect to receive so that wildcards aren't the Wings' ceiling the next few years. Who realistically are upgrades to the current roster and when could they be expected to hit the NHL? Everyone on this thread has a better sense of this than I do, so please modify the stab I'm taking at it:

- Edvinsson, D, 2023-2024 season (drafted #6 overall, 2021)

- Kaspar, C, 2024-2025 (drafted #8 overall, 2022)

- Danielson, C, 2024-2025 or 2025-2026 (drafted #9 overall, 2023)

- ASP, D, 2026-2027 (drafted #17 overall, 2023) 

- Cossa, G, 2026-2027 (drafted #15 overall, 2021)

Guys like Mazur, Wallinder, Soderblom, Baium, Lombardi I guess all have shots at making a future roster, but unlikely to move the needle, no? Anyone I'm missing?

one man's amateur box score reader/you tube highlight watcher/old hockey fan who has seen a lot come and go and been burned by thinking yves racine was the next reed larson...

positives:

edvinsson is ready now and should really be on the top team.  the downside of bringing in petry at the last minute, imo.

asp looks like an offensive beast. small but with a great shot and great offensive mobility.  defense?  shut your whore mouth about defense...

danielson was so impressive in training camp.  scoring decently in the whl. he still reminds me of a poor man's jonathan toewes.

middle:

i'm not sold on cossa and hope they trade him for a big piece considering they have augustine waiting in the wings now.

mazur has been hurt too long to tell.  he needs time to get back up to speed.  before the injury he was knocking on the door.  i have a feeling his ceiling is a more sound bertuzzi, his likely outcome is veleno.

wallinder is in his first year in ahl, too early to tell but he's not exactly lighting it up.

buium is still in college but his numbers are ok.  his little brother was profiled as an up and coming prospect recently...but not our guy.  he may max out as ollie maata if he makes it.  or part of a trade like sebrango was.  like sebrango he was a surprise subtraction from some national teams.  might be maxxing out now.

lombardi is really small but i still have high hopes.  he's also not ripping it up but its his first season in the ahl.  i think the wings are pushing their guys quickly to the ahl this time to give them a taste of the physical nature of the nhl.

dropping:

kasper hasnt done anything.  very disappointing so far.  looks like a try hard third line center with some skill.  feisty.  jt compher ceiling with a brad marchand attitude?  a get under your skin guy more than a game breaking talent.

soderblum looks more and more like a career ahl/nhl yo yo guy.  his skating may never develop to the point he's an nhl player.  that said, if he can get stronger and keep his great handle, he might have a career as a gargantuan tomas holmstrom.

future:

they took a bunch of big defensemen last year.  havent heard a ton about them.  dower nilsson profiles as a potential scorer but he's not exactly ripping it up this year and he's still in the swedish "minors".  compare dower nilsson to asp.  asp is two years younger and has 8 goals in sweden's top division.  dower nilsson isnt even there yet.

buchelnikov is only 20 and is playing full time in russia's top league now. has 4 goals in 24 games. could be one to watch.  red savage has 16 points in 16 games for msu this year.

• Thanks 1