23-24 Prospects Thread

9 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Don't forget about the goalie from MSU, I heard that the Wings like him a lot. 

MSU goalie Trey Augustine, very highly regarded 2nd round selected goalie.

I'm interested in seeing how Bicker develops.

I have him as a dark horse riser. Lots of speed.

Edited by 1984Echoes

What a season this kid is having.  He's starting to get work in with Kronwall (and Lidstrom?) and while he's smaller there's a lot to be excited about from his combine numbers:

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2023/06/12/axel-sandin-pellikka-nhl-draft-penguins-prospect-defensemen-scouting-combine-tlh

There are two different aerobic fitness measures that are made public -- the first measures the ability of the player to maintain a minimum speed on an exercise bike for as long as possible. The second part of the test, VO2max, measures the amount of oxygen utilized during maximal exercise, which then tells us about the player's capacity of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems to supply oxygen to the muscles. Sandin Pellikka had the 16th-best time on the bike, maintaining the minimum speed required for 12:36. He tied for the seventh-best VO2max.

Those tests suggest that Sandin Pellikka would be able to handle heavy minutes in games.

In the anaerobic fitness test, which is conducted by pedaling an exercise bike at max capacity for 30 seconds, Sandin Pellikka tied for the 16th-best average power output. 

Part of the musculoskeletal portion of the fitness testing involves a player bench pressing 50% of their body weight and pressing the bar up as fast as possible. Sandin Pellikka had the best score among all prospects in that category.

This could be a huge home run of a pick, I am cautiously optimistic

• Like 1

I had been hoping to see Danielson take a step forward offensively this season. May still come, but his 11-13-24 in 23 games is roughly equivalent to last year's 33-45-78 in 68 games.  Currently tied for 46th in the WHL in goals, 63rd in the WHL in points. He turned 19 in September and I count twenty 16-18 year olds with more points than him. Granted,quite a few of those above him are wingers not a centre like he is.

Edited by lordstanley

On 12/9/2023 at 11:20 AM, lordstanley said:

I had been hoping to see Danielson take a step forward offensively this season. May still come, but his 11-13-24 in 23 games is roughly equivalent to last year's 33-45-78 in 68 games.  Currently tied for 46th in the WHL in goals, 63rd in the WHL in points. He turned 19 in September and I count twenty 16-18 year olds with more points than him. Granted,quite a few of those above him are wingers not a centre like he is.

His team is awful.  I think they had a three game stretch where the only goal they scored was an unassisted short handed goal by Nate.  He also had a slow start transitioning back to the WHL which doesn't surprise me when you go from NHL players to one of the worst WHL squads.  I'm much more interested to see how he does at the WJC on Canada.

5 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

His team is awful.  I think they had a three game stretch where the only goal they scored was an unassisted short handed goal by Nate.  He also had a slow start transitioning back to the WHL which doesn't surprise me when you go from NHL players to one of the worst WHL squads.  I'm much more interested to see how he does at the WJC on Canada.

Are they wasting his time with his placement?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Are they wasting his time with his placement?

I'm definitely under-qualified to answer this but I don't really think so with the options available.  There's no room for him on the Red Wings (I'm sure they would rather have him play more center minutes in the WHL than a fourth/third line winger role in the NHL right now anyways) and even if he were eligible for Grand Rapids this year, Kasper is already stuck as their third line C so not much room there either.  Even with subpar teammates I think the idea is to keep him playing a ton of minutes in all situations.  It's a shame there isn't a way for him to play top center minutes in Grand Rapids this season but I think this is best for what they can do right now.  This gives him some more time in the weight room before going against adults full time as well.

• Thanks 1

Edvinsson is tied for the Griffs team lead in goals with six and is tied for second in points with 16.  Cossa had a decent outing last night...his save % is over just 90% with a GAA under 3.  Not bad numbers considering the context

Tuomisto has moved up to GR after a good start at Toledo.  He picked up a goal last night for his first points in four games.  Berggren is going to be either a nice throw in on a package for a bigger fish or a middle six forward next year when some of our current forwards move on.  He's having a real nice season at GR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

The type of player who pulls the piano.....some people made a career off of it 😆

I've read nothing but good things about Danielson's line so far though.  I don't have NHL Network so I can't watch.

i'm very excited about danielson.  

• Like 1

wheeler with an article on ASP today.  he's giving off erik karlsson vibes.  

"Only one other under-19 defenseman has a single point in the SHL this season. The only other 18-year-old defenseman who is a regular on an SHL club is Sharks prospect Axel Landen, who is pointless on the season. Meanwhile, Sandin Pellikka’s nine goals are two back of the SHL record for an under-19 defenseman — and he’ll have 21 games left in his season to score them when he returns from the world juniors. Victor Hedman’s points record for an under-19 defenseman of 21 is within reach, too."

he's a returning player to the u-19s, and is an assistant captain.  the only 18 year old to do that.  and he's leading the team in ice time.  he could be a major find.

between him and augustine, the wings have two young players excelling at the juniors.

• Like 1

This is wild, I would have loved to see some games, all of these guys had 1 more point than Danielson combined:

Projected 2024 No. 1 pick Macklin Celebrini had a strong tournament, but overall their top six listed forwards did not show up and make an impact in the tough games in this tournament — those being Jordan Dumais (CBJ), Conor Geekie (ARI) Fraser Minten (TOR) Matthew Poitras (BOS) and Matt Savoie (BUF). Between the round-robin games between Finland and Sweden, and then the quarterfinals, those five players totaled one goal and three points, and two of those points came on an empty net goal versus Finland.

Rumors of a Danielson trade in juniors going around too

AlJo seems to be getting more comfortable with North American ice as this season goes on, good to see

Stolen from a hfboards post:

Berggren
2+3 = 5 points at last 4 games

Mazur:
5+1 = 6 points at last 6 games

Söderblom
1+3 = 4 points at last 4 games

Kasper:
1+4 = 5 points at last 6 games

Johansson
2+2 = 4 points at last 5 games