23-24 Prospects Thread

i dont have a problem with anything yzerman has done.  if i wanted to quibble, i would say trading up for cossa, signing too many defensemen this year, and not taking enough draft chances on smaller skill players in lieu of big defensemen.

but those are really small quibbles.

its hard to go from the worst team of all time to a solid playoff team without lottery luck.  wings are making slow progress, imo.

i know their record is similar to last year, and i'm not happy with the goalies this year, but the team isnt getting run out of the rink anymore.  baby steps.  and im very excited for asp and danileson.  i think those are home run picks.

I think our goalies on the Wings are OK, not great. I don't mind Husso and Lyon at all, as 1B or backup goalies. We don't have a 1A starter.

But I think I am more unhappy with the defenseman and forwards playing crappy defense. It doesn't make our goalies better. But I think recommitting to defense and not stressing out our goalies with too many odd-man rushes gets us more wins. Our forwards & D'men are getting too Offense-happy for their own good. I like Kane and his playmaking/ goal-scoring ability... But I think he actually sparked this problem. I can't write that in stone... but since Kane, Offense-happy oh forgot about defense.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

im not against drafting goalies, i'm just against drafting them in round one.  🙂

i liked the augustine pick.

But if Sebastian Cossa becomes a great goalie...

Do you hate him because he was a 1st rounder and "overdrafted"?

If so... why?

Yes... Husso is overpaid. And he was better last year... at least at the start of the season.

I'm leery of Husso being "bad" though because IMO we're overusing and abusing him with bad defense. I don't know if Nedeljkovic is a good comp... but:

.932 save percentage with Carolina in 2020-21 in 23 games.

.901 save percentage with Detroit in 2021-22 in 59 games. Looked better at the start. Struggled in the second half.

.895 save percentage with Detroit in 2022-23 in 15 games. Looked terrible all year.

.920 save percentage with Pittsburgh in 2023-24 in 13 games.

Are we seeing the same thing with Husso?

.920 save percentage with St. Louis in 2021-22 in 40 games.

.896 save percentage with Detroit in 2022-23 in 56 games. Looked better at the start. Struggled in the second half.

.893 save percentage with Detroit in 2023-24 in 15 games. Has looked terrible all year.

Is it ALL his fault? Or, like Ned, is he better in smaller doses and with better defense in front of him? I'm just asking.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

But if Sebastian Cossa becomes a great goalie...

Do you hate him because he was a 1st rounder and "overdrafted"?

If so... why?

i dont hate him now.  of course i wont hate him if he becomes a great goalie.

if he bombs out will you hate him?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i dont hate him now.  of course i wont hate him if he becomes a great goalie.

if he bombs out will you hate him?

No...

It'll just suck because he bombs out.

But I think the bigger point is that I still won't hate Stevie Y for spending a 1st rounder on him because I think he both has to (A) Trust his scouts and (B) Use whatever means necessary to go out and find his 1A starter. (C) Even if Cossa bombs out.

To further illustrate: If you are correct and Cossa becomes nothing more than a 1B starter and Augustine turns into a phenomenal 1A starter... I still won't hate where Cossa was drafted. If they become a tremendous 1-2 punch and Cossa is the #2 in that scenario, even as a 1st rounder... good on Yzerman for finding a a tremendous 1-2 punch at goalie.

And one that will be cost effective for the next 5 years which means we can trade Husso...

Edited by 1984Echoes

48 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

No...

It'll just suck because he bombs out.

But I think the bigger point is that I still won't hate Stevie Y for spending a 1st rounder on him because I think he both has to (A) Trust his scouts and (B) Use whatever means necessary to go out and find his 1A starter. (C) Even if Cossa bombs out.

To further illustrate: If you are correct and Cossa becomes nothing more than a 1B starter and Augustine turns into a phenomenal 1A starter... I still won't hate where Cossa was drafted. If they become a tremendous 1-2 punch and Cossa is the #2 in that scenario, even as a 1st rounder... good on Yzerman for finding a a tremendous 1-2 punch at goalie.

And one that will be cost effective for the next 5 years which means we can trade Husso...

no one is going to trade for ville husso.  he's making $4.75 million and he isnt any good.

were trying to REPLACE him.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

no one is going to trade for ville husso.  he's making $4.75 million and he isnt any good.

were trying to REPLACE him.

Like I've said...

Maybe he's not as bad as it looks because he's getting PTSD from our (lack of) defense.

Anyways... I'm not worried about trading him. Not yet. Not until Cossa and/or Augustine are pushing him out the door. We'll cross that bridge when we get there, and we'll see where he's at, at that point in time. Maybe our defense will be worlds better and he won't look so bad... Look at Nedeljkovic: .934 at Carolina, .899 with Detroit, .920 with Pittsburgh. At some point he's an expiring contract as well (don't know if that counts for anything in the NHL...)

from wheeler:

Trey Augustine (G, Detroit Red Wings): So controlled in his movements. Always seems to be in the right spots and ready for shots. As good a goalie down low as there is at this level. Kicks absolutely everything out.

Anton Johansson (D, Detroit Red Wings): Physical. Strong. Seldom used, though, after losing his top-six job to Theo Lindstein early.

Axel Sandin Pellikka (D, Detroit Red Wings): His usual eager self putting pucks on net from the point. Got better as the tournament went on and became a real go-to guy for the Swedes. Hard to believe he was still their youngest D for the second year in a row.

Nate Danielson (F, Detroit Red Wings): Scored Canada’s first goal of the tournament and set up its second. Was good later in the tournament, too. Thought he was just OK through the middle of it. Played with intention and consistency. Simplified his game but did so effectively. Did show some skill/skating in a depth role. Minutes rose in some important moments. When others sat, he kept getting shifts.

Kevin Bicker (F, Detroit Red Wings): Skated well. Liked him in the relegation game, and not just because he opened the scoring (was on the puck more, moving his feet on and off the puck, holding it, and involved in play creation). Wasn’t otherwise super noticeable (that goal, in what was his fifth game, was on just his fourth shot of the tournament), though he did show some nice vision/on-puck play at times. Don’t view him as much of an NHL prospect, though, honestly. Had a nice run of play on a tour of North America last year and it got him picked, but his profile and play since haven’t necessarily reflected that. Will be a good mid-tier pro. Not sure I see more than that.

• Like 1

What are we going to do with all these LH'ed Defense prospects? They can't ALL play in the NHL at the same time:

(Already on the Wings) Walman, Maatta and trade these two? Chiarot & Gostisbehere?

Prospects:

Edvinsson

Wallinder

Albert Johansson

Viro (fringy but still tossing him in here...)

Buium

Cleveland (8th D at best... just for fighting...)

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

What are we going to do with all these LH'ed Defense prospects? They can't ALL play in the NHL at the same time:

(Already on the Wings) Walman, Maatta and trade these two? Chiarot & Gostisbehere?

Prospects:

Edvinsson

Wallinder

Albert Johansson

Viro (fringy but still tossing him in here...)

Buium

Cleveland (8th D at best... just for fighting...)

gostisbehere is gone after this year (or this year at the deadline).  maata will be gone after next year.  plenty of time for prospects to come up.

was edvinsson really that good when he played this year?  does he need more time in the nhl?  yes.  but he didnt light the world on fire when he was here.

he'll be a regular next year.  the others on your list still need time to see if theyre good enough.  theyre not nhl players right now.  only edvinsson is being blocked now.

I have a feeling Buium isn't going to sign with the Wings for some reason.  Nothing to back it up just my gut.  I thought his little brother looked good in the little I saw of him at the WJC, draft him and maybe he stays lol.

Trey Augustine looked fantastic from the game I saw.  A really, really poised goaltender that looked like he was playing against kids younger than him.  His rebound control looked great.  I'm really excited to see how he develops.

I did think ASP's passes in his own zone seemed a little sloppy.  He moved the puck well on the PP of course.

2 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I have a feeling Buium isn't going to sign with the Wings for some reason.  Nothing to back it up just my gut.  I thought his little brother looked good in the little I saw of him at the WJC, draft him and maybe he stays lol...

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i have a feeling buium is on the taro hirose path to AAAA stardom.  if he makes it.

he's been in college an awful long time.

Two years ago Buium looked great at Denver. Last year - meh.

But this year he looks good again. His younger brother offers more offense but Shai is bigger and offers more defense/ and still has some plus offense to give...

I don't know what that says anything about his NHL prospects...? I guess we'll find out soon enough. I think he's 2024 in Grand Rapids.

As for signing, why would he NOT sign with the Wings SFK?

PS: Zeev Buium is mocking at around 15 which is really close to where the Wings might be picking. But I'm looking for the best 2-way player and would prefer a forward over D. Just my 2 cents...

3 hours ago, buddha said:

gostisbehere is gone after this year (or this year at the deadline).  maata will be gone after next year.  plenty of time for prospects to come up.

was edvinsson really that good when he played this year?  does he need more time in the nhl?  yes.  but he didnt light the world on fire when he was here.

he'll be a regular next year.  the others on your list still need time to see if theyre good enough.  theyre not nhl players right now.  only edvinsson is being blocked now.

Maybe right now...

But I think the Org is pretty high on Albert Johansson and on Wallinder too. Don't know if that means they're ready this year, 2024, or never...

I'm just thinking of trades either to open space or to send out excess prospects... I'd like to make a massive trade with Calgary... some how, some way.

If the Wings don't make a playoff-worthy run over the next 6-ish weeks... I could see Gostisbehere traded, along with Perron and maybe even Petry (not that that gets us much... just sayin').

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Maybe right now...

But I think the Org is pretty high on Albert Johansson and on Wallinder too. Don't know if that means they're ready this year, 2024, or never...

I'm just thinking of trades either to open space or to send out excess prospects... I'd like to make a massive trade with Calgary... some how, some way.

If the Wings don't make a playoff-worthy run over the next 6-ish weeks... I could see Gostisbehere traded, along with Perron and maybe even Petry (not that that gets us much... just sayin').

petry will get nothing much, if anything.  

gostisbehere and perron will get you something decent.  maybe not a first round pick, but close.