Week Eleven: Chicago Bears (3-7) @ Detroit Lions (7-2)

MichiganCardinal

21 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I agree that it does hurt that they haven't been able to consistently get pressure, but in a year or two they're gonna have to pay Sewell, Amon Ra, Hutch, Gibbs, LaPorta, et al - I think perhaps it's just Brad looking at the future & saying he'd rather spend on the guys here now than a oft-injured, albeit terrific DL.  I would imagine he just didn't think it worth the long term commitment.

Definitely. In the near term, they're going to have to break the bank for Amon Ra and Sewell. Those are two franchise pieces they absolutely can't lose. And maybe Goff too.

I thought trading Hock was a shrewd move. They replaced him with someone better and saved over 68 million. Holmes is playing the long game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

I agree that it does hurt that they haven't been able to consistently get pressure, but in a year or two they're gonna have to pay Sewell, Amon Ra, Hutch, Gibbs, LaPorta, et al - I think perhaps it's just Brad looking at the future & saying he'd rather spend on the guys here now than a oft-injured, albeit terrific DL.  I would imagine he just didn't think it worth the long term commitment.

And he can use the draft capital to move up in the draft and get some young pass rush help. Someone good and on a rookie contract. To be honest, I think the Lions success this season took everyone by surprise. He was building for 2024 and up. It's a good surprise but I really don't think even Brad saw this coming...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And he can use the draft capital to move up in the draft and get some young pass rush help. Someone good and on a rookie contract. To be honest, I think the Lions success this season took everyone by surprise. He was building for 2024 and up. It's a good surprise but I really don't think even Brad saw this coming...

I think the goal haas always been to win the North this year.... Super Bowl though? Maybe not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the goal haas always been to win the North this year.... Super Bowl though? Maybe not.

Many of us thought we could win this division once Rodgers left. Many of us thought the Vikings couldn't possibly repeat their luck from last season. Winning the division means a home playoff game. And that would be a wonderful and nervous time.

14 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Many of us thought we could win this division once Rodgers left. Many of us thought the Vikings couldn't possibly repeat their luck from last season. Winning the division means a home playoff game. And that would be a wonderful and nervous time.

I think it goes even before this season. I think Holmes (and Campbell to a lesser degree) presented a “plan” to their contracts, which were longer than most first-time GMs and HCs receive. I think Holmes in particular told Sheila, Speilman, and Wood something like “look we are going to suck in 2021. This roster is trash and we need to burn it down to build from the ashes. In 2022, you should see some progress. By 2023, we hope to compete for the division. By 2024 and beyond, we should be competing for championships.”

• Like 1

There’s one aspect of SOL that hasn’t changed.  

I hate to complain about officials but that crew was terrible.  The decision to call penalties on some very soft stuff on 3rd down well away from the play was frustrating. Things that should’ve been let go were called repeatedly.  I watched the Bills/Jets and Broncos/Vikes afterwards and it was shocking at how differently those games were called with specific regard to illegal contact/defensive holding/PI.     

The Bears averaged 4.7 yards per play. That is below their season average. They had 11 drives and only scored two TDs and five scores overall. The Bears had four 1st downs from penalties. They had 334 yards of offense. The defense wasn't that bad. Turning the ball over 4 times resulted in 71 offensive plays by the Bears and good field position for the Bears. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

There’s one aspect of SOL that hasn’t changed.  

I hate to complain about officials but that crew was terrible.  The decision to call penalties on some very soft stuff on 3rd down well away from the play was frustrating. Things that should’ve been let go were called repeatedly.  I watched the Bills/Jets and Broncos/Vikes afterwards and it was shocking at how differently those games were called with specific regard to illegal contact/defensive holding/PI.     

Maybe penalties against Detroit. I saw the Bears O line holding several times and not get called.