Week Eleven: Chicago Bears (3-7) @ Detroit Lions (7-2)

MichiganCardinal

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

No...

It's TNL.

The New Lions.

There is no "same old" associated with this team whatsoever, so your acronym is inappropriate. 

In fact....

You should be ashamed of yourself!!!

For inappropriate language...!

😉

Yeah you're right. TNL is much better

51 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Most of them paid over $200 a ticket, plus all of the ancillary expenses, expecting to see an easy W. Not the first time fans of any team have been fickle.

SOL causes a lot of PTSD.

Yeah, I was mostly referring to myself and other MTS posters who were disgusted by the inept Lions in the first 55 minutes or so of the game.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Dan is so good. He’s been wasted on a lousy team for so long, I’m glad they’re turning this ship around and that he’s here for it.

So what is the rule on kicks after a safety. I know you can onside it, but probably only if you do it kickoff style? On a punt kick, like the Bears opted for, if anyone is allowed to grab it (maybe they can't) why did the Bears seem to give the Lions space to field it? If it's like a regular punt where the kicking team doesn't get possession if they grab it, why did the Lions even field it instead of backing off and letting it bounce dead? Could have been a big play, as if the Bears somehow had recovered it they would have had it at their own 40 with 20 seconds to go and 2 timeouts, time at least to set up a Hail Mary attempt.

13 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

So what is the rule on kicks after a safety. I know you can onside it, but probably only if you do it kickoff style? On a punt kick, like the Bears opted for, if anyone is allowed to grab it (maybe they can't) why did the Bears seem to give the Lions space to field it? If it's like a regular punt where the kicking team doesn't get possession if they grab it, why did the Lions even field it instead of backing off and letting it bounce dead? Could have been a big play, as if the Bears somehow had recovered it they would have had it at their own 40 with 20 seconds to go and 2 timeouts, time at least to set up a Hail Mary attempt.

The rule isn’t actually different. As far as I know, they could have dribbled it out front, and if it went ten yards it was free game. I’m sure they don’t practice that, but seems that would have been better than a pop-up to our most sure-handed receiver.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The rule isn’t actually different. As far as I know, they could have dribbled it out front, and if it went ten yards it was free game. I’m sure they don’t practice that, but seems that would have been better than a pop-up to our most sure-handed receiver.

I think they were hoping for a muffed punt fumble? IDK that rule either, on a regular punt, you have to give room to catch the ball.

23 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t remember this Lions-Packers play 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/28/7458613/lions-successfully-execute-onside-punt-vs-packers

I have to admit I turned it off when they got down 12 to go run to the grocery store. Didn't even bother listening to the radio on the way there cause I just felt like it wasn't their day. Come home and turn on the news and was pleasantly surprised to hear "And the Lions pull it off at Ford Field today and keep on rolling." 

Funny thing was the same thing happened last year when the Lions were down to Chicago at Soldier Field. Gave up on it to do other things only for the Lions to make the comeback.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/notebook-williams-making-plays-earning-lions-trust

He had a tough catch on third and long for a first down, then a 32 yard TD to make the comeback possible. And MCDC says he is part of the herd. It’s looking better all the time. 

The TD wasn't just a great play by him, it was clutch. Game on the line and he came up big, met the moment. Didn't drop it. Sure would be awesome to see him start getting 5-6 catches a game