Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (10-4) @ Minnesota Vikings (7-7)

MichiganCardinal

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Swift has had 11 games with 15+ touches this year. He averaged about half that many in his three years with the Lions. Dude couldn't stay on the field, plus Gibbs is just better.

I do feel a bit for Jamaal Williams though. He would having a similar season to Montgomery here if his agent hadn't screwed him during free agency.

I wonder if Swift is playing through injury more than in Detroit because it's a contract year? I remember either Campbell or Staley seemed to insinuate that Swift wasn't tough enough. 

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think Williams would have had a better season in Detroit, but Montgomery is a lot better than I thought he was. Williams had the luxury of playing behind some good lines in Detroit and Green Bay. Montgomery was putting up the same production as Williams with a bad line. 

I agree with all of this. I think they were pretty smart about it. They knew any durable running back was going to have a good time behind our line. I think Jamaal had an intangible aspect to him as a vocal leader in the locker room, and when they had to move on, they looked for a guy who could maximize production with yards after contact. That was Montgomery.

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if Swift is playing through injury more than in Detroit because it's a contract year? I remember either Campbell or Staley seemed to insinuate that Swift wasn't tough enough. 

I don’t remember that being said by the team, that would surprise me a bit. I do remember fans thinking that to be the case. It always felt like Swift would have a phenomenal debut to each season and then go onto a pitch count for the rest of the season, going between getting 5-10 carries and being inactive due to injury.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's possible... It's hard to know what's really driving the player. It might be the contract, it might be the change in scenery, it might be that he's just gotten lucky injury-wise this year, it might be that the Lions being only able to get the value from him that they did being a wake up call that he needs to up his game... likely it's some combo of all of that.

Next year will tell us more of course.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Only Swift and Elliott are having good seasons. 

And you can't even blame him for Elliott since CJGJ was the replacement plan and has been injured. 

Holmes best move since last deadline might very well be getting assets for Hockenson and Swift while drafting much cheaper options in Gibbs and LaPorta who are arguably better already and have more upside and executing the draft day trade to land both Gibbs and LaPorta so it's essentially Gibbs+LaPorta+lots of cap space for the next 3-4 years+better beans for Swift+Hockenson and their new contracts. Not that Swift and Hockenson aren't good players but this was a stroke of genius from Holmes.

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

One thing that strikes me is the Lions defense compares very well to the Vikings except for red zone efficiency. That is the only reason the Vikings are giving up fewer points. 

I also wonder what Minnesota's offensive production looks like post Kirk Cousins? 

In regards to RZ efficiency there have been multiple times this year where teams were in the RZ but instead of kicking FGs like they otherwise would they went for it and unfortunately would convert and end up with a TD. The announcers would always speculate that the team did it to keep up with the Lions and Campbell's aggressiveness.

Long story short maybe that number is partially due to what we do on offense.

11 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t remember that being said by the team, that would surprise me a bit. I do remember fans thinking that to be the case. It always felt like Swift would have a phenomenal debut to each season and then go onto a pitch count for the rest of the season, going between getting 5-10 carries and being inactive due to injury.

I take this quote by Staley as basically the Lions wanted him to toughen up.

"So this offseason, Staley gave Swift a challenge:

“Hey man, you’ve got to fight through some things.”

The objective is clear. Staley needs Swift to stay as healthy as possible, but he can’t back down when the relatively minor bumps and bruises come.

“We all know there’s a difference in being injured and hurt,” Staley explained. “As soon as you step in this building as a running back—Day 1 of training camp—you’re not going to feel the same. So there are going to be some things he’s going to have to fight through, and he’s going to have to work through that.”

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NYLion said:

And you can't even blame him for Elliott since CJGJ was the replacement plan and has been injured. 

Holmes best move since last deadline might very well be getting assets for Hockenson and Swift while drafting much cheaper options in Gibbs and LaPorta who are arguably better already and have more upside and executing the draft day trade to land both Gibbs and LaPorta so it's essentially Gibbs+LaPorta+lots of cap space for the next 3-4 years+better beans for Swift+Hockenson and their new contracts. Not that Swift and Hockenson aren't good players but this was a stroke of genius from Holmes.

I think underrated part of Holmes job has been his ability to move on from veteran players. It started first with not signing Golladay, then Jamaal Williams and Hockenson. 

That's quite a disparity between 1 and 2 but like all PFF stats I don't treat them as gospel but Sewell clearly has been elite this season particularly in run blocking.

He hit a bit of a rough patch by his standards earlier in the year where he was getting called for some penalties but it appears that is behind him now. 

51 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

they looked for a guy who could maximize production with yards after contact. That was Montgomery.

DC/BH said that Montgomery was great with yards after contact and always falling forward.

Now, I cannot unsee it on every DM run - YAC and always falling forward. He's been great.

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Sewell is a guy who people will look back in ten years and wonder how the hell he fell to #7.

Especially considering it wasn't like he was some unknown diamond in the rough player that a team discovered. He was heavily hyped, had no off the field concerns yet fell to number 7.

I guess we lucked out that teams fell in love with guys like Wilson, Lance and Pitts.

Also to be fair that draft was kinda tricky with so many top players either not playing at all or playing limited amount of time the previous season due to COVID.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Look at the Lions 2021 draft. Sewell and St Brown are foundational players. McNeil has really come into his own this year and was a plus starter and someone who looked worthy of a second contract. After getting nothing from Melifonwu, he has come on lately. Barnes has been a solid contributor in year three. Jefferson was a typical 7th round pick who is practice squad fodder. Levi is the only bust. 

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I thought it was tater who liked Fields. I myself loved Lance, but thought the rest of that QB lot (including Lawrence) were overrated.

It may have been Tater, Hell I was a big Fields fan myself but I didn't want the Lions taking him cause Im of the belief that you build up your team first then take your qb. That and I wanted to see what Goff could do in a new situation. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Pretty sure that was tp. I would mock him but I said the 49ers were stupid for passing on Mac Jones so that wasn't any better. 

I wonder how Jones would have developed in San Francisco? Jones looked promising his rookie year but then he gets Matt Patricia has his offensive coordinator and hasn't been the same since. He's someone I would take a flyer on as a backup or bridge QB.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder how Jones would have developed in San Francisco? Jones looked promising his rookie year but then he gets Matt Patricia has his offensive coordinator and hasn't been the same since. He's someone I would take a flyer on as a backup or bridge QB.

Yeah my thought process was that he would be the perfect fit for SF. Basically a better and cheaper version of Jimmy G, or like how Matt Ryan was under Shanahan.

I didnt feel Mac was the type of guy that could excel in any situation or without help(most can't) but with the right situation he could put up Pro Bowl numbers much like Purdy is doing this year.