Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (10-4) @ Minnesota Vikings (7-7)

MichiganCardinal

41 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

At least two of the picks were basically punts. The 49ers have thrown three picks and the Ravens aren't dominating. 

Yep, 2 were "arm punts" where they just chucked them cause they had a long down and distance, it's a play where you hope your WR or refs bail you out, if they don't and it gets picked oh well you were going to punt the next play anyway. Another was on 4th down where the Lions actually got worse field position by intercepting it.

Basically those 3 interceptions could have been 3  incompletions and the Lions would be no worse off, if anything they may have been better off depending on how the ensuing punt played out. Again another reason why you can't just treat all turnovers as the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hockenson may not even play next year.

I saw a lot of Vikings fans complaining about the hit that knocked him out. It’s a violent league and injuries happen. It looked like he braced himself and straightened the knee before contact which really probably did as much damage as the hit itself.

I don't think that was turf...

I think it was a low tackle that took out his legs... nothing wrong there...

But as MC alluded to above, (and it also looked like it to me) he locked his knee right before he took the hit... almost like he was bracing for the hit.

I don't think that helped. Not certain how much turf played a role in all of that but... I'm thinking mostly it was a low hit and a "locked knee"...

22 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

But as MC alluded to above, (and it also looked like it to me) he locked his knee right before he took the hit... almost like he was bracing for the hit.

I don't think that helped. Not certain how much turf played a role in all of that but... I'm thinking mostly it was a low hit and a "locked knee"...

An article in the Detroit News about Hockenson’s injury linked NFL rules against certain upper body hits to a rise in lower hits to a rise in lower body injuries. 

Edited by lordstanley

On 12/26/2023 at 7:40 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Their turf is really bad. They're being forced to change it during the off-season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/after-injuries-and-complaints-vikings-set-to-install-new-turf-for-2024-season/ar-AA1lS3xo

Looks like they'll have plenty of time...lol

• Thanks 1