Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (10-4) @ Minnesota Vikings (7-7)

MichiganCardinal

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They would win the tiebreaker if the Lions win out but as of today if the Eagles win they would hold the tiebreaker due to strength of victory. I just need a reason to watch this Broncos game. 

I think I understand what you're saying. On Tuesday morning, if the Eagles win tomorrow they will appear in the standings ahead of the Lions for the #2 seed, but since the LIons' opponents the final 2 weeks (Cowboys, Vikings) have better records than the Eagles' remaining opponents (Cardinals, Giants) the Lions can leapfrog the Eagles by winning out?

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

I think I understand what you're saying. On Tuesday morning, if the Eagles win tomorrow they will appear in the standings ahead of the Lions for the #2 seed, but since the LIons' opponents the final 2 weeks (Cowboys, Vikings) have better records than the Eagles' remaining opponents (Cardinals, Giants) the Lions can leapfrog the Eagles by winning out?

By beating the Cowboys and Vikings, both teams the Eagles have played, the Lions would overtake the Eagles on record in common games. Until then, they are tied on record in common games so it goes to strength of victory. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Why similar situation Michigan faced against Ohio State at the end of this years game 

The Lions played ahead most of the game, had a two score game reduced to a one score game with under 10 minutes to go, and then a huge interception deep in Lions' territory sealed a 30-24 victory. Same score as Michigan-OSU.

20 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Fox game bar showed 4th and 1. Then he spiked it and I thought it was a huge mistake and a Lions victory.

We weren’t the only ones talking about that call. Sure, they likely would have made the 1st down if it had been 4th and 1/2 a yard, but probably by doing a plunge that would have taken another 10 seconds or so off the clock before they could then spike it. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

We weren’t the only ones talking about that call. Sure, they likely would have made the 1st down if it had been 4th and 1/2 a yard, but probably by doing a plunge that would have taken another 10 seconds or so off the clock before they could then spike it. 

Yeah, I saw that tweet but one of the remarks made sense. We don't know when he was touched down.

Highest graded defenders per PFF for the LIons in week 16. EDGE Romeo Okwara (91.3), DB Ifeatu Melifonwu (89.8), DB Brian Branch (88.0), LB Jack Campbell (76.3), LB Alex Anzalone (75.8)

Interesting that Branch still graded so high despite the dropped pick and penalty, shows just how well he must of played the rest of the game. Also nice to see another dominant performance from Iffy and Campbell appears to have turned a corner the past month or so atleast by PFF's metrics. He was one of the lowest graded LBs in football at the beginning of the year but lately he is getting well above average grades every game. Great sign for his future!

Edited by RandyMarsh

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont put any stock in pff grades.

(unless they help my side of an argument)

I put stock into them but I just don't like to treat them as the be all end all. For instance if a guy has a high grade chances are he did play a good game, like wise if he has a bad grade. What I don't do is say one player is better than another based off of their PFF number.

23 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The Lions played ahead most of the game, had a two score game reduced to a one score game with under 10 minutes to go, and then a huge interception deep in Lions' territory sealed a 30-24 victory. Same score as Michigan-OSU.

Minnesota took the lead at the start of the 2nd half but Detroit responded with a scoring drive to take the lead. And then another to take a 2 score lead. And looking at the stats, it shouldn't have been that close. We dominated them.

55 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Minnesota took the lead at the start of the 2nd half but Detroit responded with a scoring drive to take the lead. And then another to take a 2 score lead. And looking at the stats, it shouldn't have been that close. We dominated them.

if the other team throws four interceptions, you should dominate them.  thank you nick mullen.

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

if the other team throws four interceptions, you should dominate them.  thank you nick mullen.

But it took an interception to win the game. The score wasn't as lopsided as the stats. 17 yards rushing for Minnesota 143 for the Lions. Time of possession 38 to 21...Lions. Along with the 4 interceptions.