Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (10-4) @ Minnesota Vikings (7-7)

MichiganCardinal

11 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If the Cowboys lose today and the Lions win next week, the Lions could be no worse than the two-seed going into week 18. Depending on the 49ers they may even be locked into the two-seed going into week 18.

Dak took a sack at 1st and goal from the 1/2 yard line, pushed the Cowboys back to the 7. But got the TD on a great 3rd down catch so now up by 1 with 3 1/2 minutes to go.

For the Lions to clinch the 2 seed going into Week 18, Philly also would have to lose a game along the way. 

Edited by lordstanley

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Dak took a sack at 1st and goal from the 1/2 yard line, pushed the Cowboys back to the 7. But got the TD on a great 3rd down catch so now up by 1 with 3 1/2 minutes to go.

For the Lions to clinch the 2 seed going into Week 18, Philly also would have to lose a game along the way. 

I didn’t think the (multiple!) DPI calls on 4th and Goal were legit. Dak’s throw was awful and to no one, why bail him out?

Dolphins are driving now.

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Looks like if the Eagles win, they would hold the tiebreaker on strength of victory. They are tied in conference record and common games. We want to root for a Broncos win tonight. 

I could be wrong but I think the Lions win the common opponent tiebreaker if both them and the Eagles win out so the Lions just need to win the last two.

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't Herman Moore set the NFL record for receptions at the time?

He did. It stood until 2002 when Marvin Harrison shattered it with 143. It's been broken several times since. If ASB hit 124 it would still be good for 10th all time though, assuming neither CeeDee Lamb or Tyreek Hill surpass him too.

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I could be wrong but I think the Lions win the common opponent tiebreaker if both them and the Eagles win out so the Lions just need to win the last two.

They would win the tiebreaker if the Lions win out but as of today if the Eagles win they would hold the tiebreaker due to strength of victory. I just need a reason to watch this Broncos game. 

I thought the defense played pretty good, wouldn't say great but good enough. I know people will say "well they gave up 400 yards to Nick Mullens" while that is true it wasn't like guys were constantly running free, they of course had the required horrible defensive series to open the 2nd half but for the most part Mullens either had to make good throws or the receivers made spectacular plays to pick up the yards. 

Also I know people are gonna say "they barely won to a Nick Mullins led team despite forcing 4 turnovers" and factually that's true but that doesn't put the turnovers in context. Not all TOs are the same and with the exception of the game sealer the previous 3 were of the low leverage variety.

Hell the 1 Gibbs fumble probably had more of an effect on the win probability than those 3 Mullins TOs because of the context in which it came. The first INT was on 4th down where the INT actually helped the Vikings, the next two were heaves on long down and distances in series where they were very likely to punt any way so again no real harm done where as the Gibbs fumble almost assuredly took points off the board for the Lions considering how they were driving and were about to have a 1st down in Vikings territory. 

18 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The defense did a really good job today. For all the concerns about Glenn, they have done a superb job the last two weeks.

Now if we can just limit an opponent's first play from scrimmage to less than 30 yards, that would be great.

Minnesota had only 17 rushing yards. Detroit had no answer for Justin Jefferson but they finally got home and sacked Mullens four times.

Melifonwu has picked a great time to break out, and if the Lions get back Ceedy Duce next week, then McNeil and/or Houston for the playoff, that will be a huge shot in the arm.