Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (10-4) @ Minnesota Vikings (7-7)

MichiganCardinal

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Listening to the POD podcast, and they mentioned Hockenson has a 32% contested catch percentage. Laporta has an 80% contested catch percentage. 

I didn't listen to Goff's interview but on Karsh and Anderson this morning they brought up how when they interviewed Goff last Tuesday he mentioned one of the things that makes LaPorta so good is not only the contested catches he make but when he makes said catches he doesn't usually have to go to the ground to secure them cause he is so sure handed which in turn allows him to pick up YAC.

Atleast on the eye test that was one thing that bugged me so much about Hockenson is that he seemingly had to go to the ground on every catch. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I didn't listen to Goff's interview but on Karsh and Anderson this morning they brought up how when they interviewed Goff last Tuesday he mentioned one of the things that makes LaPorta so good is not only the contested catches he make but when he makes said catches he doesn't usually have to go to the ground to secure them cause he is so sure handed which in turn allows him to pick up YAC.

Atleast on the eye test that was one thing that bugged me so much about Hockenson is that he seemingly had to go to the ground on every catch. 

Yeah that seems like a shot at Hockenson and about as spicy Goff will get. 

Laporta is averaging a half yard of run after catch more than Hockenson and has twice as many broken tackles. Keep in mind Hockenson has 20 more touches than Laporta and Laporta is still double in broken tackles. Hockenson is good at getting open and being an outlet for the QB but he hasn't been the difference maker I thought he would be. He's like a better version of Pettigrew and Laporta is everything we hoped Ebron would be. 

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think this is something of a non-answer. “Done with the season” doesn’t necessarily mean at the end of week 18.

I would be surprised if the guy who didn’t play starters at all in the preseason played starters in a meaningless week 18.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

19 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Stafford throws a pass on 3rd to 1 to Higbee but Anzalone is face guarding and makes contact. Flag is thrown and picked up. Lions get the ball back on a shanked punt. Goff completes an improbable 4th down pass while Donald is being held every play. Dallas Lions win. 

FTFY

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Goff didn't say that LaPorta doesn't have to go to the ground to make catches, but rather he doesn't have to leave his feet at all, which allows him to begin his YAC immediately. He said that most TEs will hop a bit when making a catch, and LaPorta just naturally doesn't.

Last time the Lions were in this position was 2016. The Lions were 9-4 and really just needed a win to clinch the division. It came down to the final game against the Packers and the Lions really weren't competitive in that game. The Lions promptly lost to Seattle in the wild card. The caveat is Stafford had a broken finger and wasn't the same after the injury. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Last time the Lions were in this position was 2016. The Lions were 9-4 and really just needed a win to clinch the division. It came down to the final game against the Packers and the Lions really weren't competitive in that game. The Lions promptly lost to Seattle in the wild card. The caveat is Stafford had a broken finger and wasn't the same after the injury. 

that was the year stafford bailed them out game after game.  he had 8 4th quarter game winning drives that year.  he propped up a really bad team all by himself.

(and then tater said he was a loser because he couldnt win a playoff game)

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Here's a scenario, we got 2 minutes left in OT and we just got the ball on our own 30, A win OR TIE secures the division, do you play it safe and just run out the clock insuring the tie or do you be aggressive and try to win which also brings up the possibility of a loss?

If the opponent cannot stop the clock, I milk the play clock for all its worth and run x 3 taking out the remaining time, take the tie and the division.  If more favorable seeding in playoffs comes with a W, I might cautiously play for the W with the goal of getting in range for a time expiring FG attempt. Lots of unknown there though, depending on how that game has played out...

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Here's a scenario, we got 2 minutes left in OT and we just got the ball on our own 30, A win OR TIE secures the division, do you play it safe and just run out the clock insuring the tie or do you be aggressive and try to win which also brings up the possibility of a loss?

The goal there would be to kick a field goal as time expired. I don't think we take a knee in such a scenario. They probably run a standard two-minute offense, which is designed well to milk the clock anyway.

They are eventually going to have to create a roster spot for Badgley when he runs out of elevations. They will also need to create room when CJGJ and McNeil return and Houston's possible return. I would not be surprised if Charles Harris is waived. I also haven't heard from Will Harris in a long time. I suspect he could get waived.