Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (10-4) @ Minnesota Vikings (7-7)

MichiganCardinal

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Vikings defense ranks dead last in completion percentage. Their blitzing allows for short passing and the rank near the bottom in DVOA to passes to RBs and TEs. They are also one of the worst defenses on passes over the middle. All areas where the Lions thrive. Get the ball out quickly to Gibbs or Montogomery in the flat and let them break tackles. 

I don’t have the fancy stats, but from my eye test where the Vikings are really good is in manufacturing pressure. Goff will have to deliver it under pressure.

8 hours ago, NYLion said:

He really hates the media, doesn't he? He always seems agitated in media sessions, the guy is probably sick of talking and just wants to get out there and hit people.

There are times where I think he's a bit too antagonistic, but then I hear some of the idiotic questions that get asked in these media scrums, and I understand it more. The one with Goff before the game at Soldier Field started with three straight questions about playing in bad weather, and he gave basically the same answer each time. After seemingly moving on for a couple of questions, some dude asked another bad weather question, and I wish Goff had channeled his inner CJGJ on him.

8 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Honolulu blue against Minnesota’s awful purple? 🤮

From what I read Minnesota is planning a "white out" where all their fans wear white and they wear all white uniforms which is why we will be wearing blue. They may still be sporting their purple helmets though. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

From what I read Minnesota is planning a "white out" where all their fans wear white and they wear all white uniforms which is why we will be wearing blue. They may still be sporting their purple helmets though. 

Yeah they’re planning a white out, which is why we are color rushing an away game.

I think this will be a really good game. Minnesota is usually fairly well coached and they won’t be walked over on their home turf for a division title, QB3 or not. Flores’ ability to generate pressure will be a tall task for the offensive line, and JG to identify and get rid of the ball quickly to ASB or LaPorta.

Looking ahead, if we lose this game odds aren’t that unlikely that we will have to go into week 18 to decide the division, which is far less than ideal. Though I do think we win that game in such a scenario.

I expect Dan Campbell and Ben Johnson to treat this game as a must-win, even if in actuality it is not. Having two weeks to get right and get healthy before the playoffs - whether as a two-seed or three-seed - would just be so much nicer than having to ‘press’ all the way through.

For as much as the Vikings blitz, they don't get a lot of pressure. The Lions average more QB pressures than the Vikings. The Vikings seem to excel at confusing QBs. Despite the narrative, Goff is very good against the blitz. He is not good when he gets pressured. Denver blitzed on 60% of dropbacks and Goff picked them apart. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

48 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Only cretins wear white after Labor Day.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

From what I read Minnesota is planning a "white out" where all their fans wear white and they wear all white uniforms which is why...

They're trying to gain an advantage.

Fans also in all-white?

They're trying to "hide" their players against a white backdrop to confuse the Lions... on O and/or D. 

Whether that's worth 0 or 3 points or...?

Who knows... but it's mildly nefarious to me.

25 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They're trying to gain an advantage.

Fans also in all-white?

They're trying to "hide" their players against a white backdrop to confuse the Lions... on O and/or D. 

Whether that's worth 0 or 3 points or...?

Who knows... but it's mildly nefarious to me.

If the game is anything like all our other road games, there will be enough Honolulu Blue streaks in their white to break it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before they tore down the Metrodome there was a nice pub more or less right across the street - we'd go there before Tigers games at the dome, but I'm pretty sure that either Hennepin County Hospital has now built into where they were or may the block got bulldozed when they were puttin in the new stadium but I don't see it on the map anywhere.