2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Dropped passes(including a critical 4th down and 3rd down conversion), dropped INT(that directly led to a TD), missed tackles on would be sacks, a critical Gibbs fumble and the questionable 4th down attempts that failed. Just a disastrous second half and such a heartbreaking way to end an otherwise unbelievable season. 

Yeah it sucked but the future is bright 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I love Campbell but it doesn't mean that he should be above criticism. Sorry if that bothers you but this is a message board so we're all allowed opinions here.

He absolutely should NOT be above criticism. But I think it's also very wrong to assign the blame completely on the 4th down calls. The contributed, yes. But they weren't the only reason. And if a overly aggressive coach "only" get the Lions to the NFC Championship game... well, that's more than has happened here in a long time.

Look how the defense folded in the second half. We know that this defense is questionable... we know that there are big holes in the secondary. Campbell knew they won't be able to keep a team as good as the 49ers down for long so he knew that the offense needed to score TDs. 

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He coulda gone for the TD at the end of the 1st half instead of kicking a FG.

This also key and that's on the coach.

What should have been obvious hand offs to Montgomery were not.

The coach unequivocally lost that game.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think he'll throw the kicker under the bus but like I said before I just don't think he has confidence in him outside of say 30 or 35 yards. That may or may not be fair to Badgley but I just think if we had a kicking game he had confidence in he would've kicked them. 

I agree. And I really think that position will be addressed. Most of us were concerned about it all season. When is Tucker going to be a FA? 😆😆

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think he'll throw the kicker under the bus but like I said before I just don't think he has confidence in him outside of say 30 or 35 yards. That may or may not be fair to Badgley but I just think if we had a kicking game he had confidence in he would've kicked them. 

He made a 54 yarder two weeks ago.  Drilled it. 

7 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I love Campbell but it doesn't mean that he should be above criticism. Sorry if that bothers you but this is a message board so we're all allowed opinions here.

This is how I feel. I'm very happy where he has gotten this team. He's the reason we are here. Any other coach we've had would have never gotten us this far. It was a great season and Campbell is a big reason why it was great. I love MCDC and I love this season. 

In my mind though, his decisions not to take at least one of the two field goals, along with the Gibbs fumble, really hurt us. I can't help but blame Campbell here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

He absolutely should NOT be above criticism. But I think it's also very wrong to assign the blame completely on the 4th down calls. The contributed, yes. But they weren't the only reason. And if a overly aggressive coach "only" get the Lions to the NFC Championship game... well, that's more than has happened here in a long time.

Look how the defense folded in the second half. We know that this defense is questionable... we know that there are big holes in the secondary. Campbell knew they won't be able to keep a team as good as the 49ers down for long so he knew that the offense needed to score TDs. 

The fumble was a killer. Gibbs hasn't fumbled much this season. Pretty good for a rookie. And this loss was horrible but the future is SO bright. And TBH, I didn't see the Lions beating KC.

2 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

He made a 54 yarder two weeks ago.  Drilled it. 

He did but still for his career he is only like 70% from 40 plus which by kicking standards isn't very reliable. Teams are like 50% on 4th and shorts(the Lions even better) so he felt that the odds of converting were similar and he trusted his top 5 offense to be able over a bottom 5 kicker and guess what? The play was there, right in the receivers hands, Reynolds catches that pass at a much higher percentage than Badgley does making kicks from that distance. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

He did but still for his career he is only like 70% from 40 plus which by kicking standards isn't very reliable. Teams are like 50% on 4th and shorts(the Lions even better) so he felt that the odds of converting were similar and he trusted his top 5 offense to be able over a bottom 5 kicker and guess what? The play was there, right in the receivers hands, Reynolds catches that pass at a much higher percentage than Badgley does making kicks from that distance. 

Badgley also made that 54 yarder indoors. I'm not sure what his range is outdoors. 

I blame myself for the Gibbs fumble, like clockwork the moment I point out how awesome a player is playing or is they immediately start to suck. After Gibbs TD I proclaimed he was "him" and after that he didn't do anything much and had the killer fumble. 

Just now, Shinzaki said:

Badgley missed two XP's this year, so you can't assume hes gonna hit from 45 plus.  I probably would have tried the second one...but the...Im paid to sell mostly auto insurance ...so WTF do I know?

If I were going to chose one to go for, I would have went for the first one to make it a 3 score game again. 

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Watching Lions games at the end of January... that's a new experience.  Great season Lions, thank you for the memories. Let's look forward to 2024 season.

When do Pitchers and Catchers report?

Quicker now. The Lions got us thru the holidays!

• Like 1