2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is the one I have the most difficulty with. Also, I believe this one was a 42 yarder (didn't Badgley just kick a 54-yarder a couple weeks ago...?), the second one was a 48-yarder IIRC... 

But matching points wasn't really on my mind until they missed the 4th and 2 and...

Since then, I've been going back-and-forth on that first kick...

Keep with DC's signature aggressiveness, which has won us so many games? Or make it a 3 score game with a matching/ makeable FG (no guarantees of course) and keep pushing the clock?

If we know they miss the 4th and 2, then FG attempt, obviously. But that's 20/20. When they went for it on 4th down, I thought "Of course." Not even an exclamation point. They just didn't execute.

The 54 yarder was indoors. I would think Badgely's range outdoors would be 50 or under. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i wouldnt call this SOL, but i wouldnt call it BNL either.

it was one really good season.  they had a really good season in 1991 and it looked like they were ready to break out and be a contender for the next 5 years.  they got to the playoffs pretty regularly (even won a division)but couldnt get over rhe hump.  same thing could happen here.

i think they have better leadership now, so i hope it will be different this time.  but its the nfl, things change week to week, much less season to season.

i hope we become the ravens (consistently good and very good talent evaluators) and not the early 90s lions.  

That's why I called it the "beginning" of BNL.

Correct, we don't know yet if it's BNL after one good season.

I mean, we have a lot of hope with Holmes & Campbell...

But ACTUAL BNL will be: sustainability at this high level. And I'd like to get into at least a couple Super Bowls, and win at least one... just to be able to say "BNL" and mean it...

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The 54 yarder was indoors. I would think Badgely's range outdoors would be 50 or under. 

Good weather.

If he wanted to, DC could've easily relied on Badgley to make the 42-yarder.

The 48 yarder even, with a hint of skepticism.

But...

Only if he wanted to play that strategy which... he had something different in mind...

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

3rd PO game with no turnovers for Goff, but he was not at his best; pressure him out of the pocket and yikes!

no idea how to get better at the QB spot; Hooker might never close get to Goff's level play, but I do wonder what they have with Hooker

It'll take another year plus or minus to find that out...

6 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

I'm not moving anything, simply stating facts based off the evidence.   There was no reason for that throw to be low and outside, anyone saying otherwise is just trying to defend our game manager QB who has never once in his career made a play that made you say WOW!!!  Even if the lineman had been in the way, a QB who isn't a statute steps to the left and still delivers the ball on target. 

Reynolds dropped it. Anyone stating otherwise is just trying to blame the QB.

I was wowed by this play last year. It's the first one that comes to mind. Then again I like QBs who put up the numbers and win and not ones who wow me.

Edited by Motown Bombers

goff isnt patrick mahomes.  nobody else is.  you can win with goff, he does a lot of things well.  i think he does things well that we fans dont really see, like getting the line in the right place, audibiling out or into plays, and he makes a lot of good throws into tight windows and good anticipatory throws.  remember that throw to st brown early in the game right before the safety got there?  great throw.

he doesnt have a cannon for an arm.  he cant move.  he doesnt do well under pressure.  

but he's still good.  you can do a LOT worse than jared goff in this league.  

hopefully hendon hooker is the next russell wilson, but the odds of that are slim.  in the meantime, the lions have a good qb for the first time in a very long time.  not perfect, but pretry darn good.

One player that comes to mind when I think of Goff is Brees. Brees wasn't mobile and wasn't known for his canon of an arm. The Saints ran the ball a lot more than you would think and did it with a two back approach like the Lions. Brees was good at throws over the middle like Goff and the Saints would also pick up those chunk throws over the middle like the Lions. Nothing really comes to mind that wows me about Drew Brees. I do think Brees though had a little better accuracy than Goff, but given the Campbell connections, it seems they are trying to make Goff into a poor man's Drew Brees. 

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

The lineman swipes at the ball long after it had passed him, it wasn't close to being deflected.

I'll tell you what, name me one play from the game where you can say "wow, look at that great play Goff made"?  Dude is a game manager at best and it looks like McVay was right about him.  

Now I'm starting to understand, you have an agenda against Goff. It all makes sense now as to why you would blame Goff on that 4th down throw. "Game manager at best". Laughable comment for a guy who was statistically a top 5-7 QB all season.

Everywhere Goff has been the team wins. Even at Cal. First year they are 1-11 and by his third year they are 8-5 and winning a bowl game. First year with the Rams they are 4-12. By year three they are 13-3 and in the Super Bowl. First year with the Lions they are 3-13-1. By year 3 they win their first division and playoff game in over 30 years and are 30 minutes away from a Super Bowl. On the Rams and Lions he was the QB for top 5 offenses. 

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Now I'm starting to understand, you have an agenda against Goff. It all makes sense now as to why you would blame Goff on that 4th down throw. "Game manager at best". Laughable comment for a guy who was statistically a top 5-7 QB all season.

Greg Olsen brought that up on the replay of the throw. Goff had to change his throw a bit to avoid it possibly being slapped down or deflected. The receiver needed to adjust, that's what they get paid for.

I'll take a former player's word over some armchair slappie  

3 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Absolutely hilarious to claim a fan of the team has an agenda.  I'm simply stating an opinion and you are just incapable of processing anything that doesn't jive with your view of things.  

Goff has a limited skill set and while that might be enough to get you to a certain point, Goff is never going to be a QB that goes out there and wins you games with plays he makes.  He is never going to escape pressure and find the open receiver, he is never going to run for a big first down, he is never going to make those impossible throws and he is never going to sling the ball sidearm to avoid a dude in his face.   His one skill is to stand there in a perfect pocket and make short and medium range throws and that's all he'll ever be.   I happen to think that's not good enough to put the team over the top. 

And yet everywhere he's gone he's won and led top 5 offenses. 

8 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Absolutely hilarious to claim a fan of the team has an agenda.  I'm simply stating an opinion and you are just incapable of processing anything that doesn't jive with your view of things.  

Goff has a limited skill set and while that might be enough to get you to a certain point, Goff is never going to be a QB that goes out there and wins you games with plays he makes.  He is never going to escape pressure and find the open receiver, he is never going to run for a big first down, he is never going to make those impossible throws and he is never going to sling the ball sidearm to avoid a dude in his face.   His one skill is to stand there in a perfect pocket and make short and medium range throws and that's all he'll ever be.   I happen to think that's not good enough to put the team over the top. 

Fortunately, none of the above is true. He has done all of those things. Watch some film and stop subscribing to fan stereotypes.

I apologize if this was brought up in the first 45 pages (which I did not read) but where was Hutch during most of the game?  Was he double/triple covered most of the time?  I do not think they called his name once that I remember.  Not picking on him, he is my favorite Lion since he was drafted.

4 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Whatever it takes to make you feel better about Goff screwing the pooch in the second half. 

The Lions defense gave up 27 points in the 2nd half. They scored 31 against one of the best defenses in the league. I see you only come out of the woodwork when the Lions lose to blame Goff. Whatever makes you feel better. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davidsb623 said:

I apologize if this was brought up in the first 45 pages (which I did not read) but where was Hutch during most of the game?  Was he double/triple covered most of the time?  I do not think they called his name once that I remember.  Not picking on him, he is my favorite Lion since he was drafted.

He was mostly non-existent. I wasn't watching him closely so I dunno how much he was doubled teamed or not. He did have a couple of passed batted down I think. Not a great showing for him but again I don't know how much the offense game planned to eliminate him.