2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

Slamming Goff broadly (yes, he has some limitations, as do most QB’s) just demonstrates a lack of NFL acumen and I will continue to dismiss.  QB is not a problem or weakness for this team, and hopefully Hooker can have a successful apprenticeship similar to what has worked in Green Bay, when we eventually decide to move on from Goff.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

if the lions make the playoffs and lose in the first round next year, tater will, in fact, try to run him out of town.  🙂

Nah, if I wanted him run out of town I would have done it after his first year and a half here, which was awful. When we passed on Fields and picked Sewell I didn't go crazy and was in-fact more than fine with the pick.

1 hour ago, holygoat said:

If it's a four year deal, I think it'll be closer to $180m, but we're in the same ballpark. Will be interesting to see how much guaranteed he gets. 

I can't see it being that low but that would be a nice break for the Lions if he does take less.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/01/nfc-championship-ratings-lions-49ers-nearly-57-million-viewers-fox/

With the underdog Lions on the brink of their first Super Bowl appearance, the NFC Championship was an especially massive draw.

Sunday’s Lions-49ers NFC Championship averaged 56.69 million viewers on FOX, per Nielsen fast-nationals — up 7% from last year’s Bengals-Chiefs AFC Championship in the same window (53.13M) and the most-watched television program outside of the Super Bowl since the 2012 Giants-49ers NFC title game (57.64M). Keep in mind out-of-home viewing was not included in Nielsen viewership estimates until 2020 (or measured at all until 2016).

Excluding the Super Bowl, only three NFL games have averaged more viewers dating back to the 1991-92 season, all of them NFC Championship games on FOX: the aforementioned 2012 matchup, Vikings-Saints in 2010 (57.93M) and Cowboys-49ers in 1995 (56.79M).

San Francisco’s win — which peaked with 58.97 million viewers from 9:15-9:30 PM ET — increased 19% from last year’s 49ers-Eagles NFC title game, a blowout that aired in the early window (47.50M).

The Lions’ near-miss averaged a 46.3 rating and 79 share in Detroit and a 30.5 and 78 in the Bay Area. Detroit’s previous playoff game (against the Buccaneers in the Divisional Round) averaged a 40.5/77 and their Wild Card matchup with the Rams had a 39.6/69.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

It's not a stretch to infer something about his character that he wants to finish something off.  He knows a job like that is there if he succeeds.  

Also his salary demands were apparently skyhigh

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Nah, if I wanted him run out of town I would have done it after his first year and a half here, which was awful. When we passed on Fields and picked Sewell I didn't go crazy and was in-fact more than fine with the pick.

come on.  overreaction tater is the best tater.  🙂