2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

Just now, RedRamage said:

He was mostly non-existent. I wasn't watching him closely so I dunno how much he was doubled teamed or not. He did have a couple of passed batted down I think. Not a great showing for him but again I don't know how much the offense game planned to eliminate him.

I did see on at least one occasion they had a running back in to help on his side. He also lined up a few times over Trent Williams whose one of the best in the league. 

21 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

LOL sure thing, Goff once ran for a first down 3 years ago or something so that means he can totally scramble when he needs to.

From Lance ZIerlein scouting report, as opposed to some random fans baseless assumptions:

• Quality arm
  • Makes all the throws and can sling the deep out with velocity and accuracy
  • Clean release and snaps throws off with flick of the wrist
  • Drives hips through his release for extra heat
  • Pocket mobility and poise 
  • Maintains proper footwork and readiness to throw as he slides inside the pocket
  • Speeds up internal clock when he feels pressure or recognizes blitz
  • Pocket climber
  • Able to run out of trouble rather than into it
  • Looks the part of a confident, first round quarterback when working from a clean pocket
  • Sells his play ­fakes with purpose and draws linebackers forward
  • Has learned to expedite his throws from off­-balance angles due to pocket pressure

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

Absolutely hilarious to claim a fan of the team has an agenda.  I'm simply stating an opinion and you are just incapable of processing anything that doesn't jive with your view of things.  

Goff has a limited skill set and while that might be enough to get you to a certain point, Goff is never going to be a QB that goes out there and wins you games with plays he makes.  He is never going to escape pressure and find the open receiver, he is never going to run for a big first down, he is never going to make those impossible throws and he is never going to sling the ball sidearm to avoid a dude in his face.   His one skill is to stand there in a perfect pocket and make short and medium range throws and that's all he'll ever be.   I happen to think that's not good enough to put the team over the top. 

I'm going to call out an opinion when it's not based in reality. 

You know who were pure pocket passers? Brady, Manning, Brees. Arguably the 3 best QBs of their generation that won Superbowls. Which of those guys escaped the pocket and threw on the run? Which of those guys was slinging sidearm throws on the regular? Which of those guys ran for 1st downs more than a handful of times?  I'm not saying he's as good as those guys but that's the type of QB those guys were, the type of QB that won multiple Superbowls.

You don't like Goff because he doesn't fit the prototype QB that you prefer and that's fine because everybody has their preferences but what is not fine is saying that he's a game manager at best. Game managers aren't around top 5 in nearly every passing categories including deep passes completed btw. He has led a top 5 offense in not only one but two seasons here. He also led a top offense with the Rams, he also led a top offense with Cal. He's won at every stop with different head coaches, different coordinators, different supporting casts. Yes, Goff has limited mobility, Goff is not going to WOW you with flashy plays but the guy has been ultra effective at every stop and has been a consistent winner. You don't like him? You don't think the Lions can win with him? (which is silly since they damn near just made a Superbowl with him). Well, good luck finding a QB as good as him, a guy who has been a top 10 QB in this league.

Also, Goff was NOT the reason they lost yesterday. Anybody who thinks that has a clear agenda. The offense scored 31 points and this is including at least 4-5 critical drops that I remember off the top of my head. Josh Reynolds makes a catch on that 4th down and the Lions probably go on to win this game. Josh Reynolds makes a catch on 3rd and 10 that was right in his chest, the Lions stem the momentum at 24-24. Jamo makes a catch that sailed right through his hands down 27-24 then they're up 31-27. Ridiculous that anybody would blame Goff for the loss yesterday. 4 TDs and 0 INTs in the playoffs, no turnovers in 3 games and we have people saying he's not good enough. It's silly season here already and the offseason just began.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

Was it Gibbs' fumble that turned the Lions off the run? Or was it the fact that after that and the ensuing TD the Lions were no longer playing from ahead? 21 runs in the 1st half, 8 in the 2nd half. I still can't get over what a thing of beauty the first half was. Offensive line stout, backs (and receivers in Jameson Williams' case) breaking off long gains, running wide, backbreaking (to Niners fans) 3rd down conversions including a run on 3rd and 11 I believe?

I wasn't counting chickens at halftime, but man, the Niners and the stadium felt defeated. The 4th and 2 fail seemed like it might be just a blip, it wasn't until the Aiyuk Fluke (as post-game Niners talk radio was dubbing it) that the crowd really came back. I was hearing comments like "I thought the Packers game was a fluke, but I guess this is who we are" and "The Lions have as many studs as we do, how do we come back from this" and "How were we so unprepared" and "Bigger hole than against the Packers, to a team that is better than the Packers".  Third NFC title game in a row, no Super Bowl win since 1994, playing at home as the #1 seed, a gazillion All Pros in the Niners' lineback ...and the Lions came out and blew the doors off of them for a full 30 minutes. They were not happy campers, about one more 3rd quarter Lions score from turning nasty. I still think the 1st half was more remarkable and unexpected than the 2nd half.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Thanks 1

with apologies to Ben Folds Five:

Will you never rest/fighting the battle of who loves goff less?

You think brad holmes drafts are cool/but there are some things you'd change if it were up to you/so think about your scouting piece/watch the combine again/and call paul to see if he can score some weed

will you never rest/fighting the battle of who loves goff less/unearned scouting prowress/well that's alright i guess

oh well maybe not i'll try once again/this should cheer you up in the end/ i've got all these posts where you loved matt patricia and bob quinn

you never rest/fighting the battle of who loves goff less/unearned scouting prowress/youre my hero i confess....

QBs will always get too much credit and too much blame.    Goff was not the reason they lost yesterday.   They lost because Dan Campbell wouldn't put his balls away and just play smart.   I mean, I get it, but when you are playing an elite team - you take the points where you can get them.    Plus their defense is bad, but we've known that for a long time.  They got away with a lot of bad defense by preventing red zone TDs, but you can't get away with that against elite teams.   

Lessons learned - a team that hasn't peaked  - it sucks but it's part of growing into a great team and I think with a better defense they can go all the way.   They won't fall apart like Fontes teams, not as long as they don't try to keep changing their identity. 

Just keep the balls in your pants next time, coach.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

with apologies to Ben Folds Five:

Will you never rest/fighting the battle of who loves goff less?

You think brad holmes drafts are cool/but there are some things you'd change if it were up to you/so think about your scouting piece/watch the combine again/and call paul to see if he can score some weed

will you never rest/fighting the battle of who loves goff less/unearned scouting prowress/well that's alright i guess

oh well maybe not i'll try once again/this should cheer you up in the end/ i've got all these posts where you loved matt patricia and bob quinn

you never rest/fighting the battle of who loves goff less/unearned scouting prowress/youre my hero i confess....

You're all dressed up like The Cure. 

• Like 1

Remember how you felt when the Pistons first lost to the Celtics and it crushed you, got over that hump and then lost to the Lakers (ON A BULLSPIT FOUL CALL AGAINST BILL LAIMBEER THAT EVEN - YEARS LATER - KAREEM SAID WAS NO FOUL).    It hurt like hell.  They'd never come close.   But it toughened them up. 

Remember the Red Wings getting swept by the Devils after FINALLY getting to the Finals.   Then they lost that gut-wrenching series to the Avalanche.   A dirty play and the pain from that loss galvanized the team and they won the Stanley Cup on March 26, 1997, the rest of that season was academic, it was theirs from that point on. 

Those teams were resilient.      Does anything ANYTHING AT ALL make you believe this Lions team is not?    No way they crumble.  No freaking way.   They might not win it all, but dammit they are going to be in the final four a few more times with this group - and if Brad keeps drafting this way, even longer. 

Go ahead and lose hope.  I won't and this is a guy who never believed the Lions had a spine before.   They do now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

The lineman swipes at the ball long after it had passed him, it wasn't close to being deflected.

I'll tell you what, name me one play from the game where you can say "wow, look at that great play Goff made"?  Dude is a game manager at best and it looks like McVay was right about him.  

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but your responses just show you're nothing but a troll. The QB who guided this team to its best stretch of football in 60+ years is nothing but a game manager? That just proves you know very little about the game of football. Be gone with you, troll. Plonk!

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

He was mostly non-existent. I wasn't watching him closely so I dunno how much he was doubled teamed or not. He did have a couple of passed batted down I think. Not a great showing for him but again I don't know how much the offense game planned to eliminate him.

Which cries out for an actual "Effective" pass-rusher opposite him so he's not double-teamed and our pass rush ends up with a big fat ZERO without him.

That should also include interior pressure BTW... McNeil played great this year and got a lot of interior pressure. But comparably, nowhere near a Suh or a Donald or those of that ilk.

So... I'm happy with McNeil, but I'm really interested in what they have in Brodric Martin. They're "coaching him up" as best they can because he's raw as hell. I don't know what they can actually get him to be in the NFL... but if it's an interior run-stop guy and he doesn't have any interior pass-rush in him (I don't think he does)... Then I think the DL needs TWO pass-rushers to help out Hutch: a book-end speed-rusher, and one more guy they can put in the interior that can generate some pass-rush.

Just my 2 cents.