2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.d3347364086215124007711dfed5ecb9.png          vs.          49erslogo.png.f25536d20f76777dce57b412ecd42dfd.png

Setting: 01/28/2023 6:30pm on FOX

Site: Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, CA

Weather: 74° High / 52° Low, 16% chance of rain, 5mph wind

Opening Spread: 49ers -7

All-Time Series Record: 49ers lead, 39-28-1

Last Meeting: 09/12/2021, 49ers won 41-33

#1 San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

Head Coach: Kyle Shanahan (7th Season: 64-51, 7-3 in Playoffs)

Projected Starting QB: Brock Purdy (2nd Season: 17-4, 3-1 in Playoffs)

Last Week: 24-21 W v. Green Bay Packers (10-9)

49ersgdt.thumb.jpg.09f250e3f24b83b2cf65b801f24bd080.jpg

Your #3 Detroit Lions (14-5)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 24-26-1, 2-0 in Playoffs)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 66-50-1, 4-3 in Playoffs)

Last Week: 31-23 W v. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-9)

lions49ersgdt4.thumb.jpg.8a8b448c187c425f09acba6d633f904d.jpg

Elsewhere in the NFL

AFC Championship: #3 Kansas City Chiefs (13-6) @ #1 Baltimore Ravens (14-4), 3:00pm on CBS

Nfc_championship_logo.thumb.jpg.a7aa2ed752ae946581a9116696822f99.jpg

Watched a video on YT earlier with Cowherd and somebody else and for the most part they were extremely complimentary about the Lions, especially Holmes, Campbell and Goff but the guy made a quote that I had to shake my head at. 

It was something to the effect of "They are a corner away from being a Super Bowl contender". I get that corner is our biggest weakness but when you are a 12 win team playing in the conference championship doesnt that mean you already are a SB contender? 

17 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Green Bay held SF to 24 points. Can AG's Detroit Lions do it?

SF could not stop GB's between the tackles running game. Can it stop Detroit's?

will it be pouring rain like it was during the packers game?

As

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Have you ever worked in a job where you were micromanaged?    Did it make you a better worker?   Hell no.  It makes you constantly look over your shoulder and constantly try to be perfect and it sucks the joy out of what you do.      You can't be you, you have to be someone else's version of you.     Goff is having fun now and it shows (and yep, he's gonna make a "what the hell was he thinking?" play (got away with one of those early yesterday), but if he was constantly afraid to make a mistake, we wouldn't be here right now.      

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Watched a video on YT earlier with Cowherd and somebody else and for the most part they were extremely complimentary about the Lions, especially Holmes, Campbell and Goff but the guy made a quote that I had to shake my head at. 

It was something to the effect of "They are a corner away from being a Super Bowl contender". I get that corner is our biggest weakness but when you are a 12 win team playing in the conference championship doesnt that mean you already are a SB contender? 

Btw the dude that said this also said the Stafford trade could go down as one of the best NFL trades of all time when you factor in Goff's play, the money you saved with him and what the draft picks are doing. 

I think its a fair question especially if Iffy's recent play is legit and carries over. We basically got equal to better QB play at a cheaper cost, a plus defensive starter and 3 offensive weapons with 2 of them already looking like they potentially could be tops at their position in due time. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Dan Campbell was right.  The Lions just beat two teams who were red-hot and already in playoff mode just to get qualified and they beat 'em both.    Why couldn't they win another one?   

And to think - this team isn't at their peak yet. 

I'll never question another draft by Holmes again. 

I am so sick of Patrick Mahomes.    He doesn't do anything hateworthy (his brother and wife cover that), but it's like Tiger Woods -- enough already.   I'm already sick of Charlie Woods.    Media just sinks their teeth into certain people and can't let go. 

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

will it be pouring rain like it was during the packers game?

Maybe but arguably, the offenses were helped by the rain rather than hurt by it. Green Bay had at least two long completions due to San Francisco defensive back slipping on the turf. 

6 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Maybe but arguably, the offenses were helped by the rain rather than hurt by it. Green Bay had at least two long completions due to San Francisco defensive back slipping on the turf. 

i dont think either qb was helped by the rain.  there were some slips by the defense but also some uncharacteristic drops from receivers from wet footballs.

brock purdy looked awful until the last drive.

if deebo is healthy, i expect a "mike evans" type of game from him against cam sutton.  i hope he's not healthy.  and mccaffery against our linebackers isnt to our advantage either.

san fran hasnt been that great at stopping the run (although jones only got 3 yards a carry if you take out his one big play last week) so that's an edge for the lions.  and san fran's secondary looked vulnerable.

pray for the clock to continue past midnight for purdy and for a less than 100% deebo.  hope for gibbs to bust some big runs and not so many carries for montgomery.

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

what's the temp in Ford Field?

Seems the only weather factor in play would be wind.  But these are professionals.  Is there really difference from indoor/outdoor beyond precipitation issues?

To me wind is the biggest difference, that and playing on natural grass vs. field turf. 

I love Goff but even as a staunch supporter I will admit that he doesn't throw the tightest spiral, that comes into play more in windy conditions. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

For the first time in the playoffs, the crowd will not be helping the Lions, which isn't insignificant. I think the Lions can win this game, but I expect that they won't. This is a house-money type game for me, though, so I'll much less nervous watching it compared to the other two.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

To me wind is the biggest difference, that and playing on natural grass vs. field turf. 

I love Goff but even as a staunch supporter I will admit that he doesn't throw the tightest spiral, that comes into play more in windy conditions. 

Goff seems to be hit or miss on his spiral. I've seen him rip some tight spirals and then he throws wobblers. I think it's his hand size. Sometimes he just doesn't get a good grip. Goff has the smallest hands in the NFL (along with Burrow) and Stafford has some of the biggest hands in the NFL and can rip it like no one else.