2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

4 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

My biggest fear about this game is CMC catching those little swing routes and there not being a defender anywhere close by.   The Linebacker on either side need to watch that dude at all times.  

I say he's the best RB in football. A combination of power, speed and elusivness. San Francisco went away from him against Green Bay. Big mistake.

9 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

My biggest fear about this game is CMC catching those little swing routes and there not being a defender anywhere close by.   The Linebacker on either side need to watch that dude at all times.  

This is where Branch and CJGJ excel. Melifonwu too. They should go back to the Atlanta tape when they should down Bijan who was rolling at the time. 

Just now, GoBlue23 said:

Lions don't even need to punt or attempt a field goal.  Just hand the ball off and have Gibbs run backwards to burn the remaining 10 seconds.  

That probably works, but if he gets "sacked" with even only 1 second to go Tampa would have the ball on the Lions' side of the 50 with time for one play.

4 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

My first thought when mentioning this to someone yesterday was that to be extra sure, hand the ball off to Jamo.  Ain't nobody catching him.  

I don’t know about this, but I suspect Ben Johnson has about half a dozen plays featuring Jaymo that he’s kept in his back pocket for a big game. Just like the play yesterday to Brock and the one to Skipper in Dallas, I bet he has a few that will make us come out of our seats. 

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I don’t know about this, but I suspect Ben Johnson has about half a dozen plays featuring Jaymo that he’s kept in his back pocket for a big game. Just like the play yesterday to Brock and the one to Skipper in Dallas, I bet he has a few that will make us come out of our seats. 

I'm still waiting for Goff to catch a TD pass. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Did they sell out the entire place or is this only in the lower bowl?  

Last I looked the entire lower bowl was sold out and they were selling the home side club seats. If I had to guess, they're not selling the 300-level, and maybe not the Mezzanine 200-level either. Probably 45,000 or so capacity.

I'm wondering if they're going to roll any movie theater sized televisions out there, or if it's just going to be on the Jumbotrons.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Yeah, should have gone like this:

- Lions take over with 1:33 to go at Tampa 28

- 1st knee on 1st down to Tampa 29, Tampa time out #3 with 1:31 to go

- Lions take 2nd knee on 2nd down to Tampa 30 and then let the play clock run out, take the delay of game (rather than calling a timeout with 1 second on play clock)

- Lions take 3rd knee from Tampa 36 with around 48 seconds to go and then let the play clock run out, take the delay of game (rather than calling timeout with 1 second on play clock). Sets up 4th down from Tampa 42 with 6 seconds or less to go

- Only real risk would be a "trouble with the snap" a la Michigan vs Michigan St. or a blocked punt and 50+ yard runback.

- Punt it through the end zone. That will use up at least 4 seconds, leaving 2 seconds from the 20 yard line, no time for Tampa to first pick up some yards with a sideline throw. Have to go right into a one-play Stanford/rugby play.

I don't have a problem with Tampa saving the timeout hoping Goff/Campbell makes a mistake and takes the 3rd down knee with 38 seconds on the clock, like they did. It's their timeout to do with as they please, and I'm shocked they went into the offseason with it. Bowles' reasoning in the press conference afterwards was awful too, he just assumed Michael Badgley would make a 49-yard field goal?? Has he watched Michael Badgley kick a football?? On the replay you can even see the official look over to the Tampa sideline, seemingly anticipating the timeout before then jogging off.

With 1:33 to go and Tampa having one timeout, you have to assume they will take it at any time. If they call timeout after the first knee, at 1:31, you can take the clock to about 5 seconds before you have to snap it on 4th down. Punting it to the 300-level, Goff running around while the offensive line holds everybody in sight (offensive penalty wouldn't extend the game) and then taking a knee or throwing it away when the clock expires, just taking an extra two seconds to take the knee in the first place, running the ball up the middle instead of taking a knee....... all of those do it too...... If they don't call the timeout, like they didn't, you can do the same thing, and they'd be calling the timeout with 5-10 seconds left anyway. Taking that knee with 0:38 left though was crazy.

As low as the chances may have been, I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Bucs fan.

13 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't have a problem with Tampa saving the timeout hoping Goff/Campbell makes a mistake and takes the 3rd down knee with 38 seconds on the clock, like they did. It's their timeout to do with as they please, and I'm shocked they went into the offseason with it. Bowles' reasoning in the press conference afterwards was awful too, he just assumed Michael Badgley would make a 49-yard field goal?? Has he watched Michael Badgley kick a football?? On the replay you can even see the official look over to the Tampa sideline, seemingly anticipating the timeout before then jogging off.

With 1:33 to go and Tampa having one timeout, you have to assume they will take it at any time. If they call timeout after the first knee, at 1:31, you can take the clock to about 5 seconds before you have to snap it on 4th down. Punting it to the 300-level, Goff running around while the offensive line holds everybody in sight (offensive penalty wouldn't extend the game) and then taking a knee or throwing it away when the clock expires, just taking an extra two seconds to take the knee in the first place, running the ball up the middle instead of taking a knee....... all of those do it too...... If they don't call the timeout, like they didn't, you can do the same thing, and they'd be calling the timeout with 5-10 seconds left anyway. Taking that knee with 0:38 left though was crazy.

I mentioned before but from what I could gather on social media it's basically an unwritten rule or code among coaches that once they don't use the timeout on first down they are just conceding the game to your opponent and letting the coach know that they don't have to waste the entire play clock and delay the inevitable. Just snap it 3 times and get the game over with. 

That's why the Lions didn't bother wasting the entire play clock on the next 2 snaps, they just snapped it and got the game over with. Now Bowles could've been shady and went against "code" but I don't think that's something you want to do, coaches will remember that and doing something like that certainly won't sit well with them going forward. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mentioned before but from what I could gather on social media it's basically an unwritten rule or code among coaches that once they don't use the timeout on first down they are just conceding the game to your opponent and letting the coach know that they don't have to waste the entire play clock and delay the inevitable. Just snap it 3 times and get the game over with. 

That's why the Lions didn't bother wasting the entire play clock on the next 2 snaps, they just snapped it and got the game over with. Now Bowles could've been shady and went against "code" but I don't think that's something you want to do, coaches will remember that and doing something like that certainly won't sit well with them going forward. 

I think the “code” then is as silly as unwritten rules in baseball. If bunting gives me the best chance to get on base during a no-hitter, I’m going to bunt. (It won’t, I’m very slow).

Ultimately it’s probably a moot point. I don’t think Tampa gets the ball and scores 8 points in ten seconds, or in 38 seconds.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the “code” then is as silly as unwritten rules in baseball. If bunting gives me the best chance to get on base during a no-hitter, I’m going to bunt. (It won’t, I’m very slow).

Ultimately it’s probably a moot point. I don’t think Tampa gets the ball and scores 8 points in ten seconds, or in 38 seconds.

There is no code that Bowles couldn't take the timeout on 1st down. I think it would be bush league to signal you are conceding and then say just kidding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There is no code that Bowles couldn't take the timeout on 1st down. I think it would be bush league to signal you are conceding and then say just kidding. 

Is it really signaling? If he shouts over “hey good game Dan” I think I’d agree, but I don’t think it is necessarily better time management strategy to use the timeout right away rather than waiting for 4th down.

14 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Instead of doing all that to kill the remaining time on the clock why not just get stopped short on the goal line, cause a review to take place, and force a 10 second runoff.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

There have been fake kneel-downs...

Why not a fake "concede"?

Especially if it ends up with a win instead of a loss. This is the playoffs. All's fair in love and war... And the NFL Playoffs... IMO.

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

There have been fake kneel-downs...

Why not a fake "concede"?

Especially if it ends up with a win instead of a loss. This is the playoffs. All's fair in love and war... And the NFL Playoffs... IMO.

The only fake kneel down I can think of was the Saints to give Jamaal Williams a cheap TD. Why would any team fake a kneel down?