2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

I liken the timeout thing to the end of the game in basketball when teams are fouling. Once a team stops fouling at the end it is accepted that they are conceding the game, same thing with not using timeouts.

You don't see basketball teams call off the dogs only to then decide to change their minds and foul when the team gives it to a poor free throw shooter.

Since the league is fixed and they've already determined it's Baltimore vs. San Francisco in the Super Bowl, I just want the Lions to show well. 

Of the 4 teams left I think the majority of this country is pulling for the Lions, but as someone posted a shot of a TV guide description of Ravens vs. Niners and since we know predetermined final is based on the color of the Super Bowl logo, all we'll have left after Sunday is our pride. 

Next year, based on the logo, it's Baltimore vs. either Green Bay or Philadelphia.  (unless another AFC team goes with Purple). 

Hoping Super Bowl 60 has some Honolulu Blue in the logo.

It ain't scripted, but it is fixed.     Just watch how many calls go against us in really big moments Sunday, you'll swear we're in Dallas.           

Edited by Motor City Sonics

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't see how using a timeout that you have in your pocket with 38 seconds left in a one-score game is poor form. Maybe in a nine-point game. But in a one-possession game, I want to get the ball and somehow tie the game. Those are my only objectives. There are no politics or niceties to it. Taking that timeout will help me get the ball and tie the game.

I think it's important to separate the two aspects to this:

1. Should you concede?
2. Having signaled to concede, should you go back on that?

For question 1: I do NOT want my coach to give up. Yes it's highly unlikely, but unlikely does happen so they should try whatever is legal and in good sportsmanship to win. I would NOT be happy if Campbell just gave up with one TO left. Force the other guys to execute, hope for a miracle and see what happens.

For question 2: If Campbell conceded the game (which again, I don't want him to) and then said: "Sike! I have my fingers crossed, now I'm calling the TO" I'd be embarrassed. That's bush league stuff in my humble opinion. (For the sake of argument we're going to ASSUME that Bowles did signal that he was conceding the game and that he would not use the TO. I don't know that this actually happened, I don't think there is a special signal that is understood by the NFL coaching world to mean this, but ASSUMING there is a signal for this, and assuming my coach gave that signal and THEN went back on it... that's poor sportsmanship.)

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

No one is saying Dan Campbell should go give Kyle Shanahan a ****ty handshake-shove postgame and start a fight in the tunnel, or score 70 points against a hapless Broncos defense, or run a fake kneel up 20+ points.

I don't see how using a timeout that you have in your pocket with 38 seconds left in a one-score game is poor form. Maybe in a nine-point game. But in a one-possession game, I want to get the ball and somehow tie the game. Those are my only objectives. There are no politics or niceties to it. Taking that timeout will help me get the ball and tie the game.

The offense taking a knee is them offering a hand to shake, it doesn't mean the defense has to shake it when it's not mathematically over, and I don't think not calling the timeout on 1st or 2nd down is shaking the hand.

It's poor form to use it on third down when you've indicated you're not using it on first and second.

Nobody would have a problem about it on first down, but that's not what we are talking about here. We're talking about waving the white flag and then pulling it down and competiting. That is a **** move and crazy un-sportsman like. You want the ball back no biggie, call it on first down. It's not politics or niceties its not being a ****

Btw the question was brought up in Campbell's presser and he did admit that even though they knew they weren't going to use that timeout they still should've handled it better and bled more time off the clock just in case. 

I think the just in case is not just incase the coach decides to pull a fast one but what if for some odd reason a player gets hurt on the other team?

Highly Unlikely but maybe he cramps up or accidentally steps on a foot or something. Whatever the case since TB still had a timeout they'd be force to use it as an injury timeout and stop the clock. 

Deebo plays all over and plays in the slot a lot as well. You will probably see different defenders on him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Branch matched up on him. Sutton can also play inside and is probably better inside than outside. I think Sutton matches up better on Deebo than some of the other receivers he's seen. 

The Lions have actually done well shutting down receivers like Deebo. Godwin, Addison and Kupp basically did nothing against the Lions. Ncua is probably more like Deebo but the Lions have been good at limiting the other receivers. It's been one receiver every game that has gone off. 

If Deebo plays, he's gonna go off, just like every top receiver of every team the Lions have played since the first Vikings game. Of those five games, the only one they lost was the game the refs gave to the Cowboys. I'm more worried about McCaffrey than Deebo, tbh.

I'm less worried about McCaffrey because our run defense is our strength. We get killed on big plays by teams top receivers and we get beat more than we should it feels like on 3rd and long type situations. I'm not saying we'll hold him to 50 yards or less and completely take him out of the game. Though that would be nice. Holding him under 100 total yards rushing and receiving combined, and keeping him out of the end zone, would be a huge success in my eyes and won that could lead to a Lions win.

Going back to the Denver game, the Lions have given up 17, 24, 20, 20, 23, and 23 points. It's not an elite defense but it's good enough. Every week the talk has been how x QB and x WR are going to tear up the Lions secondary and yet the most points a team has been able to score has been 24. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Going back to the Denver game, the Lions have given up 17, 24, 20, 20, 23, and 23 points. It's not an elite defense but it's good enough. Every week the talk has been how x QB and x WR are going to tear up the Lions secondary and yet the most points a team has been able to score has been 24. 

I agree completely, which is why I'm more concerned about McCaffery than Deebo. The Lions' ability to stop the run is why they won those games despite getting torched by top receivers, but this is the best run game they will have faced by far. And our O-line is banged up. But yes, if they can contain CMC, they have a great chance to beat the 9ers.

14 minutes ago, holygoat said:

If Deebo plays, he's gonna go off, just like every top receiver of every team the Lions have played since the first Vikings game. Of those five games, the only one they lost was the game the refs gave to the Cowboys. I'm more worried about McCaffrey than Deebo, tbh.

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm less worried about McCaffrey because our run defense is our strength. We get killed on big plays by teams top receivers and we get beat more than we should it feels like on 3rd and long type situations. I'm not saying we'll hold him to 50 yards or less and completely take him out of the game. Though that would be nice. Holding him under 100 total yards rushing and receiving combined, and keeping him out of the end zone, would be a huge success in my eyes and won that could lead to a Lions win.

I think if Deebo is out, we may see CMC used as a Deebo replacement, in addition to his normal responsibilities.

45 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s the NFC Championship game.  I can’t imagine any way that Deebo isn’t playing.  It’s just a matter of how effective he’s going to be.   

Yeah I see the situation much like LaPortas in the first round, if the guy can walk he's going to suit up to be at the very least a possible decoy or something extra for the defense to think about. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Along with a few "Lions need a shootout to win" comments and general discounting of any chance Lions win...I did hear a comment about Purdy thats both good and bad for us.

The comment was GB 'took away' SF short/intermediate passing game and forced them to throw deep more often...Purdy's weakness (inaccurate). I did see many bad throws during the second half of that game (weather?).

Now that strategy pushes him to our weakness, covering deep.  If a WR is wide open, Purdy can just get it close. Can Sutton and Vildor at least stay close enough to impact a bad throw? I do like our safety's ability to close on a deep ball.

?