2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

As long as you aren't spending the milk money.... you won't miss this money in 3 years but the memories will be with you no matter what happens.  Do it.

During the 2006 Tigers run I had to drop like $1600 for my playoff tickets.  To off set the cost I sold the 2nd game of both the LCS and WS.  

So yeah.... for $120 I missed Magglio's HR.

That kind of thing will never happen again to me because of money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I remember getting tickets to the 2006 ALDS fairly cheap. I was on the Tigers website the minute they went on sale and was able to get through and got decent seats for like $50 a piece. At the time, I thought it was going to be game one but it ended up being the Kenny Rogers game. 

• Like 1

One of the great things about getting older is my complete lack of FOMO.  I’ve been lucky to see and do lots of things so there’s really nothing out there that I have an absolute must see desire to experience. This includes overpriced and overcrowded events even with my favorite bands, teams. or places.   It’s just not worth it to me anymore both in terms of money and effort.   

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the “code” then is as silly as unwritten rules in baseball. If bunting gives me the best chance to get on base during a no-hitter, I’m going to bunt. (It won’t, I’m very slow).

This is different, imho. Assuming that this "code" exists, it's the same as Victory Formation. This is one team saying: "Okay, we voluntarily give up, so don't worry about draining every little second."

The no-bunting to breakup a no-hitter is different because it's a rule imposed on the player. It's one team saying: "Okay, we're in this situation we want to preserve so you are not allowed to try this specific thing to stop us."

20 hours ago, oblong said:

This is why I think these games and this run is the biggest sporting thing ever for the city and state. It already tops anything in other sports.  You guys are all living it and experiencing something that might not be topped. Even if they win it all in another year. Sometimes the ride up is more fun.  

kind of like if the Tigers won in 2012 or 2013 it still may not have been more exciting for me than 2006.  

Maybe I am over reacting since it’s been 10 years since we’ve had anything to cheer 

This is exactly how I feel about it - In `91, I fully expected the Lions had turned a corner & would be back.  Now, having lived thru these last 30 years - Plus the Tigers run, I am just enjoying the hell out of this & not really putting any expectations on it.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

There have been fake kneel-downs...

Why not a fake "concede"?

Especially if it ends up with a win instead of a loss. This is the playoffs. All's fair in love and war... And the NFL Playoffs... IMO.

The Saints classless play aside, they do not have fake kneel-downs. Victory formation is a signal from the offense to the defense that we're not going to try to move the ball, so please don't slam into us for no reason and risk injuries to us or you. If you fake this it destroys that trust and means defense will charge through and people will get hurt. It's why what the Saints did was so despicable.

Fake "spikes" are a different story.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Last time I spent a bunch of money to be at a game was Game 5 of the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals.  The entire arena was standing and chanting "We want the Cup" as the final minutes ticked away and then the Penguins scored with 45 seconds left to tie it up and then won it halfway through the 3rd OT.  That scarred me for life and I've never dropped anything over face value for a ticket to a sporting event since.  

Ha, I was there too! The ticket price wasn't bad, I think I got it for just under $200 five minutes after they went on sale. Flew in from Vancouver. Stayed at my parent's in Sarnia for a night. Went with my brother, my brother's wife who has since passed away, and an uncle who used to take me to Tigers and Wings games when i was kid. Knew the stars would really have to align again to get the chance to see the Cup presented to my team in person, especially with them. As you'll recall, the Wings totally dominated the 3rd period, up to and well past the go ahead goal midway through the 3rd. I think the Penguins went 10+ minutes without a shot. Ozzie looked headed for a Conn Smythe. And then Franzen just couldn't clear it and Ozzie left a bit of space on the ice between his pad and the post. Was a long flight back to Vancouver the next morning. Shows how spoiled I guess we were as Wings fans that a week later I was still really bummed because even though the Wings had won a 4th Cup they hadn't won it with me in the building, lol.  Don't regret for a second making the trip though. 

Edited by lordstanley

58 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Last time I spent a bunch of money to be at a game was Game 5 of the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals.  The entire arena was standing and chanting "We want the Cup" as the final minutes ticked away and then the Penguins scored with 45 seconds left to tie it up and then won it halfway through the 3rd OT.  That scarred me for life and I've never dropped anything over face value for a ticket to a sporting event since.  

You're talking to a guy who went to "Trouble with the Snap" and the Aaron Rodgers face mask non-penalty to Hail Mary in the same season. I only went to three football games that season, and the third was Michigan getting blown out by Ohio State.

The more gut punches you take the nicer the view from the podium feels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m paying $800 for a ticket to the NFC Championship game.  Cause I can’t bring myself to pay this for the Superbowl 

IMG_0514.jpeg

Go for it. I bought my non-refundable air ticket last Wednesday (Campbell's gambling approach has inspired me, lol, plus it was only $275) and then Sunday night I bought a 200-level endzone seat for $650 TM-listed + $100 taxes/fees = $750. I think ticket prices have peaked, they've softened a bit since Sunday night and will some more, IMO. Flying in Sunday morning direct 2h20min flight from Vancouver, then back Monday morning. Staying Sunday night in an airport hotel, for approx. $175. Add some incidentals like transport to/from the airport and the stadium and should still be under $1,500. Not cheap, but acceptable. At this stage of my life (56 years old, our only child leaving home in the fall), it's how I prefer to spend money, as opposed say to a weekend in Vegas or days around a pool in Mexico. This is the 3rd time I've done something like this from Vancouver for Detroit sports. First was Game 4 of the ALDS in '06, went with my dad. Second, described above, was Wings Game 5 SCF '08. Still two of the most memorable experiences of my life, certainly of sports-related experiences at least. I go in expecting the Lions to lose. But I was so intrigued earlier in the season seeing Lions fans celebrating post-game together down near the sidelines in Tampa and Los Angeles among others. Imagine Sunday if the Lions pull off the upset, Niners fans go home, the stadium empties out, but say 1,000 Lions fans in blue are at the railing high-fiving Lions players like the Kenny Rogers-led scene in '06. Priceless.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

The Saints classless play aside, they do not have fake kneel-downs. Victory formation is a signal from the offense to the defense that we're not going to try to move the ball, so please don't slam into us for no reason and risk injuries to us or you. If you fake this it destroys that trust and means defense will charge through and people will get hurt. It's why what the Saints did was so despicable.

Fake "spikes" are a different story.

Yeah...

This is probably what I was thinking of...

Because you're correct, you don't want your QB or anyone else injured by playing stupid games with unsaid rules (although I've seen a few V-formations busted which... also pissed everyone off...).

But I think a fake "concede" is much more akin to a fake spike. All a fake concede would do is trick to claim more seconds to try a last gasp win in a critical game. It might piss everyone off but no one is in danger of an injury since it's not an actual play. I mean, a fake spike is an actual play... but I think much less egregious than the fake kneel-down.

I would put a fake "concede" into the same boat as a fake "spike"...

IMO.

Gamesmanship.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah...

This is probably what I was thinking of...

Because you're correct, you don't want your QB or anyone else injured by playing stupid games with unsaid rules (although I've seen a few V-formations busted which... also pissed everyone off...).

But I think a fake "concede" is much more akin to a fake spike. All a fake concede would do is trick to claim more seconds to try a last gasp win in a critical game. It might piss everyone off but no one is in danger of an injury since it's not an actual play. I mean, a fake spike is an actual play... but I think much less egregious than the fake kneel-down.

I would put a fake "concede" into the same boat as a fake "spike"...

IMO.

Gamesmanship.

Just cause you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. 

34 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If it's the NFC Championship and it's our last chance at salvaging a win then...

I WANT DC to do that and I believe he SHOULD do that...

IMO.

And I want the coaching staff to realize they got away with a break, can't rely on any unwritten code, and correct it so that going forward they snap the ball at the last second until it is mathematically impossible for there to be time for another play. Surely of all the staff a team has on the sidelines and in the booth, there should be one who is feeding real-time information about time management.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

And I want the coaching staff to realize they got away with a break, can't rely on any unwritten code, and correct it so that going forward they snap the ball at the last second until it is mathematically impossible for there to be time for another play. Surely of all the staff a team has on the sidelines and in the booth, there should be one who is feeding real-time information about time management.

Yes...

This too.

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

If it's the NFC Championship and it's our last chance at salvaging a win then...

I WANT DC to do that and I believe he SHOULD do that...

IMO.

Got it, you don't believe if any sportsmanship and go hard no matter the score until thr last moment all the time no matter what. Basically the guy everyone in sports hates.

27 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Got it, you don't believe if any sportsmanship and go hard no matter the score until thr last moment all the time no matter what. Basically the guy everyone in sports hates.

No one is saying Dan Campbell should go give Kyle Shanahan a ****ty handshake-shove postgame and start a fight in the tunnel, or score 70 points against a hapless Broncos defense, or run a fake kneel up 20+ points.

I don't see how using a timeout that you have in your pocket with 38 seconds left in a one-score game is poor form. Maybe in a nine-point game. But in a one-possession game, I want to get the ball and somehow tie the game. Those are my only objectives. There are no politics or niceties to it. Taking that timeout will help me get the ball and tie the game.

The offense taking a knee is them offering a hand to shake, it doesn't mean the defense has to shake it when it's not mathematically over, and I don't think not calling the timeout on 1st or 2nd down is shaking the hand.

• Thanks 1

I don't think a team owes the other team anything on the use of time outs or in game deceptions in general, but OTOH running a play from victory formation is different and pretty despicable, because as noted, the idea there is be sure no-one is hurt on *either* side when the intention is just to run the clock.  

Edited by gehringer_2