2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

It's amazing how Brad Holmes in just three years went from such a lousy team that Matthew Stafford couldn't win in to building such a juggernaut that you can plop any QB in and go to the Super Bowl. ****, with that kind of amazing skill maybe we should trust Holmes decision on Goff. 

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Was it Gibbs' fumble that turned the Lions off the run? Or was it the fact that after that and the ensuing TD the Lions were no longer playing from ahead? 21 runs in the 1st half, 8 in the 2nd half. I still can't get over what a thing of beauty the first half was. Offensive line stout, backs (and receivers in Jameson Williams' case) breaking off long gains, running wide, backbreaking (to Niners fans) 3rd down conversions including a run on 3rd and 11 I believe?

I wasn't counting chickens at halftime, but man, the Niners and the stadium felt defeated. The 4th and 2 fail seemed like it might be just a blip, it wasn't until the Aiyuk Fluke (as post-game Niners talk radio was dubbing it) that the crowd really came back. I was hearing comments like "I thought the Packers game was a fluke, but I guess this is who we are" and "The Lions have as many studs as we do, how do we come back from this" and "How were we so unprepared" and "Bigger hole than against the Packers, to a team that is better than the Packers".  Third NFC title game in a row, no Super Bowl win since 1994, playing at home as the #1 seed, a gazillion All Pros in the Niners' lineback ...and the Lions came out and blew the doors off of them for a full 30 minutes. They were not happy campers, about one more 3rd quarter Lions score from turning nasty. I still think the 1st half was more remarkable and unexpected than the 2nd half.

The Lions seemed more impatient on a few drives in the 2nd half. Instead of chunk plays, they went for a home run ball on a few occasions, including a couple trick plays. Staying the course, they may have been able to sustain a few of those 2nd half drives.

Dropped passes were a huge issue. Those would also have extended drives. And shorter drives may have been the reason for fewer run plays?

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

QBs will always get too much credit and too much blame.    Goff was not the reason they lost yesterday.   They lost because Dan Campbell wouldn't put his balls away and just play smart.   I mean, I get it, but when you are playing an elite team - you take the points where you can get them.    Plus their defense is bad, but we've known that for a long time.  They got away with a lot of bad defense by preventing red zone TDs, but you can't get away with that against elite teams.   

Lessons learned - a team that hasn't peaked  - it sucks but it's part of growing into a great team and I think with a better defense they can go all the way.   They won't fall apart like Fontes teams, not as long as they don't try to keep changing their identity. 

Just keep the balls in your pants next time, coach.  

Against elite teams, I bet that 4th down % would be lower. But I also won't second guess the gamble, it's what gotten them there in the 1st place. And more importantly, any FG attempt would have been Badgley's longest of the year. And his % over 40 yards is really low. So you wanna give them 7 more yards by missing a kick? I've seen teams with terrible kickers punt in that situation. Would people like that better?

1 minute ago, GoBlue23 said:

LOL he's played on 2 teams and has had 3 seasons where he's won double digit games.  If Goff is so great, why were the Lions 3-10-1 in 2021 with him at QB?  Why did they start the season 1-6 last year?  Sure if funny how much better Goff got when we added Laporta, Gibbs and Montgomery.  

I would argue Goff was better last year but yes that 2021 teams was a complete dumpster fire. His top receivers were, outside of Hockenson,  Khadarel Hoge and Raymond. He's been an upgrade over Stafford who had 4 winning seasons in 12 years and was 0-3 in the playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

I'm done with the back and forth with the Goff fan club. 

You should be, you've wasted everyone's time with shallow, baseless assumptions, and then compounded it by continually doubling down with more of the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

One other great thing about this playoff run…. It made January a lot of fun. January in Michigan suuuuuucks.  

You got THAT right

Mrs. Mohra said I should call it in..............so I called it in............end of story. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, number20 said:

There sure have been a lot of new faces around here lately. Seems they all suddenly showed up near the end of the season to provide us with their drive-by commentary

I've been here.      I've always been here.    To annoy you all.............all season............

Now, fire every coordinator when every drive doesn't go our way . 

1 hour ago, number20 said:

There sure have been a lot of new faces around here lately. Seems they all suddenly showed up near the end of the season to provide us with their drive-by commentary

Same old Lions Fans...

The team culture may have changed the trolls are just band wagon jumpers

CNN had a Super Bowl section with 5 stories on their website today. One was about ticket prices, one was about the Lions...

...and the other three were about Taylor Swift.

• "Airlines add Super Bowl flights with a nod to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce"
  • "Would Swift return from Tokyo in time to see Kelce play in Super Bowl? CNN reporter does the math"
  • "Taylor Swift celebrates with Travis Kelce"

And so it begins...  🤮 🤮 🤮

Two days later and it’s still hard to take that L.  It was right there for them and they couldn’t close the deal.   Still, this is the most successful Lions season in almost 70 years.   There’s no reason to whine, blame, or complain.  This experience will make them a better team going forward.   

IMHO, the only thing dumber than blaming Goff is putting Hendon Hooker on a pedestal and insinuating that he’s better.  That’s ****ing stupid.  Hooker is nothing more than a 3rd round flyer draft pick.  There is no part of the Lions future that is impacted in any way by him.  He is probably more likely to be cut in 2 years than he is to be a starter.   Calling for him to take Goff’s job at this point without so much as taking a single snap is troll level lunacy.  

• Like 3

I spent years trying to run Matt Stafford out of town. I bitched that he couldn't beat good defenses and struggled to get it done against teams with winning records. I bitched that he never one a playoff game. I bitched that we didn't score a single TD after the first quarter in the Dallas game in 2014 and that we didn't get in the end zone at all against Seattle. I bitched that he didn't make the receivers around him significantly better. I bitched about his mechanics and throwing off his back foot. I bitched about him being reckless with the football. I wanted this franchise to trade him and start over. Well they did and what we got out of it has been phenomenal. A ton of talent with four first round draft picks. A really good starting QB of our own in Jared Goff. Two playoffs wins and a freaking NFC Championship Game appearance that we damn near almost won.

I will not spend years trying to run Jared Goff out of town. In-fact, just the opposite. I want this franchise to extend Jared Goff and get the deal done this offseason. Jared Goff has turned his career around playing for Dan Campbell and Ben Johnson. He's proven he's good enough to take a team to the NFC Championship game and win two playoff games. Something Stafford never did here and something Hendon Hooker likely won't do either. This year alone Goff was 407-605 with a 67.9% completion%. He threw for 4,575 yards with 30 TDs and only 12 INTs. He had a 97.9 passer rating and a 603 QBR. He was also only sacked 4.7% of the time he attempted to pass, one of the lowest of his career. Meaning he's stepping up in the pocket and/or getting the ball out quick. I'm not getting rid of Goff and running him out of town playing the way he currently is, with stats like these. I'm not risking all the progress we made and throwing it away for someone else. Not for Hendon Hooker, not for a more mobile QB, not for a rookie QB on a cheaper wage scale, not for anyone. I'm paying the man and keeping him here as our starting QB for the next several seasons.

No, I don't want him to get $55 million a season and $219 million in guaranteed money like Joe Burrow is getting, nor do I think he will get that. I think 3-4 years at $45-$47/million with $125 million or so fully guaranteed isn't unrealistic and isn't something I'd be against. They can also front load the cap hit so they have more money available to pay their own guys in years 3 and 4 of Goff's contract and keep a good team around him.

Jared Goff will be and should be our starting QB for years to come.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Cousins says he wants 2 years $90 million guaranteed. Dak is probably going to get around $50 million per. I think it will take around 4/200 to sign Goff. Probably just behind the Hurts/Herbert/Burrow extensions. Tua will be another interesting comp as he is up but I think he is behind Goff.