2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

A few comments on Hooker:

If Hooker shows anything, to the Lions or in preseason games... He can be traded for a couple draft picks and the team can reset at backup QB at a future point in time.

I really like having someone with Hooker's upside at backup. I mean... we don't really know what that is. But... if Goff were to get nicked up for a few games, or for a key playoff game... I have a lot more confidence that Hooker can come in and win those games over having Blough or Sudfeld in that time of need. A LOT more confidence. And it could even make the difference between winning in the playoffs versus losing... or not even making the playoffs at all. An injured starting QB and crappy backup options can certainly derail a season.

If Goff or Hooker show something different in the next few years (I believe we have Hooker 2024-26 seasons?); such as Goff deteriorates due to injuries (this is the NFL after all), or Hooker just takes off (per Lions coaches until we can actually see it in an NFL game... otherwise we have absolutely no idea)... than at that future uncertain date: the team can make a different decision away from Goff or whatever.

But until then, it's Goff as our QB at least the next 4-6 years or so (assuming he gets his extension) and Hooker as the #1 backup for 3 of those. And I am absolutely good with that.

Just my 2 cents.

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hooker has no trade value. Just develop him into a backup QB and see what happens. Maybe a Drew Bledsoe situation happens and Hooker becomes the next Tom Brady. 

Today he doesn't.

But start flashing in a year or two and teams will notice.

This isn't a today discussion.

It's a nothing discussion, at least until we find out exactly what we have with him. And that might take awhile. I think it's a "cross that bridge when we get there" discussion.

Just my 2 cents.

19 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

TP is devastated. 

Another bonus here... I'd heard at least one talking head say that he thought Ben Johnson would be taking Hank Fraley with him to Washington. With Ben staying that would seem to mean that Hank is staying as well. 

It kind of seems like a **** move by Johnson so withdraw from a job this late while the team is literally in the air coming to interview you. This is now the second time he has teased teams about being interested in a job and then withdrawn. I wonder if he gets as much consideration next year? 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It kind of seems like a **** move by Johnson so withdraw from a job this late while the team is literally in the air coming to interview you. This is now the second time he has teased teams about being interested in a job and then withdrawn. I wonder if he gets as much consideration next year? 

Doubt it. McDaniels quit on a team six days after being hired and still got interviews. I doubt anyone will hold it against Johnson for deciding to stay after a heartbreaking loss with a young team. 

If you are looking at a head coaching job, the most important thing isn’t the franchise, owner, or GM.  It’s the QB.    If you don’t have one, you most likely wont be successful regardless of what you try and will be gone in under 3 years.   

Washington and Seattle are planning on new QBs next year and most likely both rookies.  That’s a big risk.  It’s possible to luck into a CJ Stroud but Ben also almost walked into a situation last year where his job would’ve depended on Bryce Young.   That has to be in the back of his mind especially for an offensive coach.  If he was offered the Chargers job, I’ve got to assume the choice would be different and the Lions are looking for a new OC.

I give him a ton of credit for passing up the money and title and staying with his best opportunity to succeed.   

weird how Ben Johnson honoring his current contract is seen as a negative by some.

players bet on themselves all the time; Johnson is doing the same; even with JJ leaving the OL, it is possible WRs and TEs are even better next season and Off ranks top 3, not just top 5.

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If you are looking at a head coaching job, the most important thing isn’t the franchise, owner, or GM.  It’s the QB.    

Well, QB is certainly up there, but even a great QB won't help you if your GM can't draft. Have to have both. Our very own Lions have proven that with the coaching carousel Stafford played for when he was here.

38 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think it hurts to take an interview. I've had calls from companies wanting to offer me jobs, went for the interview and after a couple of days contemplating a move felt it was in both of our best interests to pass.

Now I don't know about Johnson's case in particular, maybe he decided that being a head coach in Washington put him under too much of a microscope at 37, 38 years old. Maybe after Detroit's run this season he felt that maybe one more year here would be moe beneficial to his career and his family's stability that keeping them in a stable environment in Detroit rather moving them to Northern Virginia or the Maryland suburbs.

He's young, there will be other options if the Lions continue on their current tract.

6 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

weird how Ben Johnson honoring his current contract is seen as a negative by some.

players bet on themselves all the time; Johnson is doing the same; even with JJ leaving the OL, it is possible WRs and TEs are even better next season and Off ranks top 3, not just top 5.

That's not it at all. It's his flirting with other teams two years in a row and deciding while that team is in the air to honor your contract. I'm not certain he will just be a top candidate next year. 

Another note on the Commanders/Johnson thing. Houston's Bobby Slowick, who also interviewed twice, decided to stick with his team. It makes you wonder whether the interview process in Washington raised a few red flags with the younger OCs. 

That and as of now Martin Mayhew still has the GM title, though that may change in the future. i wonder if Jay Gruden orBill Callahan are still available.

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

That's not it at all. It's his flirting with other teams two years in a row and deciding while that team is in the air to honor your contract. I'm not certain he will just be a top candidate next year. 

If "Hey we want to interview you" and accepting that request = flirting, then sure he flirted. Take the interviews...see what they have to say. Nothing says you owe anyone anything if you take interviews.  If Lions had gone SB maybe the result is different? If Washington says different things, maybe the result is different.

I don't see any valid rationale that puts Johnson at fault for anything here.

Edited by KnoxP

8 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

They were going to Detroit to interview both Johnson and Glenn - or at least that's what I heard. So instead of both they interview just Glenn when they arrive (not actually a wasted trip). Don't know if it's really that big of a deal

Edited by number20

4 hours ago, KnoxP said:

If "Hey we want to interview you" and accepting that request = flirting, then sure he flirted. Take the interviews...see what they have to say. Nothing says you owe anyone anything if you take interviews.  If Lions had gone SB maybe the result is different? If Washington says different things, maybe the result is different.

I don't see any valid rationale that puts Johnson at fault for anything here.

Agree. Just like Washington didn't owe him a job even though he took time out during playoff game preparations to speak with them.

• Like 1