February 2024 game thread

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I think it's just been awhile since we've gotten solid goaltending. Alex Lyon hasn't had to be Dominik Hasek. He's 15th in the NHL in GAA, 8th in the NHL in Save %. Better than expected from him, sure. But that may be sustainable. 

You have to weigh those numbers against the quality of chances the Wings are regularly giving up. The two big issues are that the drop-off too our third paring too often leaves them totally overmatched where you are watching knowing that they are inevitably going to give up a goal. The other is transition mistakes leading to grade A+ chances. That's where I think Lyon is living on borrowed time. He's already stopped more of those than you should have to count on an Vezna goalie for.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

You have to weigh those numbers against the quality of chances the Wings are regularly giving up. The two big issues are that the drop-off too our third paring too often leaves them totally overmatched where you are watching knowing that they are inevitably going to give up a goal. The other is transition mistakes leading to grade A+ chances. That's where I think Lyon is living on borrowed time. He's already stopped more of those than you should have to count on an Vezna goalie for.

I'm more worried about workload than his talents or shots faced. 17 in 21 is a lot to ask, even though the All Star Break was in there to give him a bit of a breather. 24 games left, probably need a backup (Reimer now, or Husso if he ever gets/stay healthy) to start 1/3 of those.

16 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I was really thinking along the lines of who I would want most to pair up with Edvinsson. That's Andersson. For lots of reasons.

He's been mentioned in a couple rumors but not often and I don't know if Calgary is seriously looking to make that move. Could just be internet rumors with nothing behind it...

I just seized on the idea of pairing up Andersson (I believe he's under contract for 2 more years) with Edvinsson for the next 2... That would be a fine 2nd pairing...

Tuomisto I see as a 3rd pairing defensive guy I think. Maybe as early as next year.

In two years, as Andersson's contract ends... I think the next gen would be ready with ASP/ Gibson/ Johansson pressing out of GR for some NHL time...

But 2024-2026 could be Seider/ Andersson/ Tuomisto on the right side...

At least in my dreams...

I'm focused on this season...this team is built for the playoffs.  Edvinsson might be a factor next year...Tanev gives us a veteran RHD to solidify the top 4 at a manageable cost.  I dont think Calgary trades Andersson this season...he's young and on affordable contract.  That's an asset you keep unless someone offers you a ridiculous haul.

12 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I'm more worried about workload than his talents or shots faced. 17 in 21 is a lot to ask, even though the All Star Break was in there to give him a bit of a breather. 24 games left, probably need a backup (Reimer now, or Husso if he ever gets/stay healthy) to start 1/3 of those.

Or even Cossa for 9-ish games...

The Atlantic has an article today Stanley Cup Checklist: Analyzing the East contenders ahead of the trade deadline

https://theathletic.com/5300788/2024/02/27/stanley-cup-contender-checklist-eastern-conference/'

Red X: Falls below the range entirely

Gray checkmark: Passable, but below the average champion

Black checkmark: Above average relative to the average Cup winner

Gold checkmark: Exceeds the range entirely

drw checklist.png

eastern conference checklilst.png

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Atlantic has an article today Stanley Cup Checklist: Analyzing the East contenders ahead of the trade deadline

https://theathletic.com/5300788/2024/02/27/stanley-cup-contender-checklist-eastern-conference/'

Red X: Falls below the range entirely

Gray checkmark: Passable, but below the average champion

Black checkmark: Above average relative to the average Cup winner

Gold checkmark: Exceeds the range entirely

drw checklist.png

eastern conference checklilst.png

according to them, pittsburgh is a top contender this year...

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's fine ranking system if an NHL roster was 10 players.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

according to them, pittsburgh is a top contender this year...

"The Penguins are the prime example of why the checklist is just one way to analyze contenders. Pittsburgh’s a top-heavy team with some solid secondary pieces like Marcus Pettersson and Bryan Rust. On some nights, this looks like the team to beat led by one of the best players in the world. Other nights, they look imbalanced with a dysfunctional power play that needs to get realistic about their future, quickly. The reality is somewhere in between, and the clock is ticking to figure it out, with the pressure building around how to proceed with Jake Guentzel. The team looks even further away from contender status without Guentzel, considering the winger depth behind him. "

Edited by lordstanley

I have to say I think I’ve hit my breaking point with “fancy” stats and stat cards. It seems like everyone has their own version of it these days and you can work it to build your narrative however you want. I don’t even fully get what the athletic is trying to say here but it seems to reduce the players to…. I don’t even know what…. all while ignoring any sort of nuance and context that goes into a roster. It’s like the clown on twitter who wrote an article about how the Kane signing is a failure as predicted and is still digging his heels in online because his fancy stats tell him the whole story. I used to be all about them but now I’m fully in old man yelling at clouds territory.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I disagree that the "reality is somewhere in between" for Pittsburgh. Closer to irrelevancy than contention. 91 points last year and missed the playoffs, looks around the same this year.

exactly.

the only question is when they bite the bullet and trade crosby.  not this year obviously.  probably not next year either but...

they have nothing in the pipeline and are committed to some older players with big contracts.  crosby saves them from being a complete also ran.

but its the pens.  they'll bottom out, get the #1 pick, and get yet another generational player to save a team that was inches short of bankruptcy the last time they didnt have a lemieux/jagr/crosby on the team.

38 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

So a very impressive period for the Wings. 2-0 after 1. Wings outshot the Caps 12-5. Big game, as a huge difference between being 9 points up on the Caps with a regulation win and 5 points with a regulation loss. 

Sure , the Caps are on the downside, but still a lot of fun to see the Wings doing to the Caps what the Caps used to do so regularly to the Wings.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, buddha said:

exactly.

the only question is when they bite the bullet and trade crosby.  not this year obviously.  probably not next year either but...

they have nothing in the pipeline and are committed to some older players with big contracts.  crosby saves them from being a complete also ran.

but its the pens.  they'll bottom out, get the #1 pick, and get yet another generational player to save a team that was inches short of bankruptcy the last time they didnt have a lemieux/jagr/crosby on the team.

I always wonder how the Wings' last decade would have looked if they had traded Z as soon as they missed out on Suter, and not tried to replace Datsyuk after he walked away a couple of years later.