February 2024 game thread

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would you want to take on Boston in the first round lol? Maybe that could be to our benefit, who knows.

IDK, so far this season they have split with Boston and FLA and are actually one up on the Leafs, so they have been rising to the occasion against the teams ahead of them pretty well. But for now the Wings are leaning so heavily on their goaltending that not much else matters - they probably go exactly as far as Lyon can take them.

Edited by gehringer_2

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, so far this season they have split with Boston and FLA and are actually one up on the Leafs, so they have been rising to the occasion against the teams ahead of them pretty well. But for now the Wings are leaning so heavily on their goaltending that not much else matters - they probably go exactly as far as Lyon can take them.

Reimer has played four games in 2024 and has allowed a total of four goals. Yes, we have to worry about Lyon being overworked, but maybe something changed at Christmas as far as tightening up a bit.  In the 21 games since then, have allowed 3 or fewer 17 times. Here's what the standings were like on New Year's morning. 15-4-2 since then. They had started off 14-8-3 before the 3-8-1 stretch to end 2023 almost killed them.

But I think there were extenuating factors that makes the 3-8-1 the outlier, not the strong record before and after that. Larkin got viciously injured, Perron got suspended for defending him, and those two exclusions coincided with a hectic schedule of 9 games in 15 days. The team fell apart, but righted itself after the holidays. I don't expect much if any regression the final 24 games.

True, the recent 5-game winning streak might be a bit misleading, as 3 of those 5 wins were in OT, which I don't value as much even though the standings do. But two 5-goal wins in there as well, over middle of the pack Calgary and St. Louis teams.

Finally, goal differentials on the season for the Wings vs the teams they're in the mix with. 

Toronto +35

Carolina +28

Detroit + 25

Tampa + 5

Philly + 2

NJ  -12

Washington -31

Pittsburgh +15

NYI  -28

standings dec 31 2023.png

Edited by lordstanley
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Kane with the storybook finish!!

I jumped out of my couch as soon as I saw him take off...

Might have watched this 35 times since.  The only comparable thing I can think of in recent memory is when JD came off the DL and pinch hit against Chris Sale, and first pitch HR to CF.    

This goal only took a few seconds but it felt like 20 minutes.  It was slightly off screen but you hear Ken, then you see it's a breakaway, then you see it's Kane, then realizes it's Chicago, then you say "No way, can't happen can it?" Then it happens.

Gotta say I think Chicago fans had a good day.  It's not like their team is going anywhere. They got to celebrate Chelios, say hello again to Kane, and see him do something remarkable.  No harm done for them, even if it's against Detroit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

I jumped out of my couch as soon as I saw him take off...

Might have watched this 35 times since.  The only comparable thing I can think of in recent memory is when JD came off the DL and pinch hit against Chris Sale, and first pitch HR to CF.    

This goal only took a few seconds but it felt like 20 minutes.  It was slightly off screen but you hear Ken, then you see it's a breakaway, then you see it's Kane, then realizes it's Chicago, then you say "No way, can't happen can it?" Then it happens.

Gotta say I think Chicago fans had a good day.  It's not like their team is going anywhere. They got to celebrate Chelios, say hello again to Kane, and see him do something remarkable.  No harm done for them, even if it's against Detroit.

Oh yeah, JD's walkoff was an insane moment.

I wish the clip I embedded shows the whole sequence you described, because yep, the whole buildup adds to it. But it's in the clip below. At around the 5:35 Kane briefly enters the screen and then exits from view, then comes the pass forward and all the anticipation.

8 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Oh yeah, JD's walkoff was an insane moment.

I wish the clip I embedded shows the whole sequence you described, because yep, the whole buildup adds to it. But it's in the clip below. At around the 5:35 Kane briefly enters the screen and then exits from view, then comes the pass forward and all the anticipation.

kane was probably a little more pumped up than usual (duh) because of the return AND the bedard thing.  not only has bedard become the new hot thing in chicago (taking kane's place), but bedard also went at kane a few times.  checked him against the boards earlier, and right before that scoring play in ot, bedard was on the boards muscling kane for the puck and winning the battle.

kane might just have had a little more oomph in that celebration to tell the young fella that the old guy aint dead yet...

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I hate to be a wet blanket, this has been a fun streak, but I think there is some fool's gold here. There is no way the goaltending keeps up with the number of defensive breakdowns they are giving up. I fear there is a lot of regression waiting to rear it's ugly head if Yzerman doesn't do something before the deadline.

wet blanket is your middle name.

but to your point, it has been good goaltending to help them.  and?  do other good teams not get good goaltending?

is it because its alex lyon?  he was really good for florida for a stretch last year and got them to the playoffs.  maybe alex lyon is actually good?

that said, i'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop with this team.  seems to me like theyre getting outshot a lot but still winning.  and the more talented teams are having their way with them when it comes to the run of play.

but theyre winning  that's what really matters right now.  i think yzerman is smart enough not to trade for a guy to supposedly "put them over the top."  he'll continue to build through the draft and make more smart "jake walman" type trades.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

but theyre winning  that's what really matters right now.  i think yzerman is smart enough not to trade for a guy to supposedly "put them over the top."  he'll continue to build through the draft and make more smart "jake walman" type trades.

So does that mean no on a player like Chris Tanev?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

wet blanket is your middle name.

but to your point, it has been good goaltending to help them.  and?  do other good teams not get good goaltending?

>>wet blanket is your middle name. :classic_biggrin:

If a team gets good goal tending from a  goal tender with an established  record, that's more projectable than a journeyman backup turning into Dominick Hasek. But I'm hoping right along with the rest of us!

Edited by gehringer_2

23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So does that mean no on a player like Chris Tanev?

I would change that to look for a younger guy who's not getting a good NHL opportunity or is underperforming but has a lot of talent. Like buddha said... another Jake Walman opportunity.

The Rangers have already said they are dangling Kakko, the Oilers said they're dangling Broberg.

I'm interested in both but don't know if Stevie Y is, or what it would cost. 

Those would be long-term moves though, not "boosts" for this year's playoff run. But I would like the longer term future of the Wings more, if we could pull in a talent or two like that.

Much more so, IMO, than going after a Tanev.

I want Tanev to shore up RHD.  Then you could pair him with Chiarot ...you the have a 3rd pairing of Maata and Petry or Ghost (whos comfortable playing on that side).

Re Lyon...save % last year in FL was .910 in 23 games, s hes played at this level before

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

I want Tanev to shore up RHD.  Then you could pair him with Chiarot ...you the have a 3rd pairing of Maata and Petry or Ghost (whos comfortable playing on that side).

Re Lyon...save % last year in FL was .910 in 23 games, s hes played at this level before

that's my point on lyon, he's done this before.  otoh, didnt he turn into a pumpkin in the playoffs and have to be bailed out by bobrovsky?  or was he injured?

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would change that to look for a younger guy who's not getting a good NHL opportunity or is underperforming but has a lot of talent. Like buddha said... another Jake Walman opportunity.

The Rangers have already said they are dangling Kakko, the Oilers said they're dangling Broberg.

I'm interested in both but don't know if Stevie Y is, or what it would cost. 

Those would be long-term moves though, not "boosts" for this year's playoff run. But I would like the longer term future of the Wings more, if we could pull in a talent or two like that.

Much more so, IMO, than going after a Tanev.

the news on kaako is at LEAST a number one pick plus.  so no thanks.

broberg is a reclamation project, so maybe over the summer.  brogberg is the type of guy i would have wanted as a throw in to a cap space deal for edmonton.  kenny gets rid of him and we take on a bigger salary to free them up to make a cup winning trade.

something we could have done last year but probably not now consodering the big contracts were about to throw to seider and raymond.

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

the news on kaako is at LEAST a number one pick plus.  so no thanks.

broberg is a reclamation project, so maybe over the summer.  brogberg is the type of guy i would have wanted as a throw in to a cap space deal for edmonton.  kenny gets rid of him and we take on a bigger salary to free them up to make a cup winning trade.

something we could have done last year but probably not now consodering the big contracts were about to throw to seider and raymond.

But we could also find ways to dump some contracts as well...

Including not re-signing some of our UFA's if Yzerman is willing to take his chances with Edvinsson, Cossa and Kasper (and if they are ready for the NHL challenge)...

58 minutes ago, buddha said:

the news on kaako is at LEAST a number one pick plus.  so no thanks...

I thought they were looking for playoff help, not a 1st rounder...

That was how they presented it to the media... as he could be part of a package for someone who can help them, right now...

19 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That was how they presented it to the media... as he could be part of a package for someone who can help them, right now...

i've seen both.

either way its not a match for the wings.  and i dont think they need another defense only forward unless they think they can unlock some offense there.

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

here's the athletic write up on him:

Screenshot_20240226_155359_The Athletic.jpg

32 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'd rather have Rasmus Andersson at 27 y.o. than Tanev at 34.

But I'm still thinking about the next 5 years and not just this year so maybe that's just me...

We have ASP, Gibson, Anton Johansson and Tuomisto in the RHD pipeline...give me a couple of years to shake that out Tanev is likely to cost less to acquire.  Has Anderson been mentioned as a guy the Flames want to move?

I was really thinking along the lines of who I would want most to pair up with Edvinsson. That's Andersson. For lots of reasons.

He's been mentioned in a couple rumors but not often and I don't know if Calgary is seriously looking to make that move. Could just be internet rumors with nothing behind it...

I just seized on the idea of pairing up Andersson (I believe he's under contract for 2 more years) with Edvinsson for the next 2... That would be a fine 2nd pairing...

Tuomisto I see as a 3rd pairing defensive guy I think. Maybe as early as next year.

In two years, as Andersson's contract ends... I think the next gen would be ready with ASP/ Gibson/ Johansson pressing out of GR for some NHL time...

But 2024-2026 could be Seider/ Andersson/ Tuomisto on the right side...

At least in my dreams...

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

i've seen both.

either way its not a match for the wings.  and i dont think they need another defense only forward unless they think they can unlock some offense there.

Of course they would to try to unlock his O...

He scored 18 goals last year (2022-23) so I'd like to see the Wings take a chance at that... He has good size (6'2" 205 per ESPN)... at 23... I'd like to see him line up with Kasper at center and Copp at the other wing next year.

Again... just thinking out loud again...

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

>>wet blanket is your middle name. :classic_biggrin:

If a team gets good goal tending from a  goal tender with an established  record, that's more projectable than a journeyman backup turning into Dominick Hasek. But I'm hoping right along with the rest of us!

I think it's just been awhile since we've gotten solid goaltending. Alex Lyon hasn't had to be Dominik Hasek. He's 15th in the NHL in GAA, 8th in the NHL in Save %. Better than expected from him, sure. But that may be sustainable. 

13 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I think it's just been awhile since we've gotten solid goaltending. Alex Lyon hasn't had to be Dominik Hasek. He's 15th in the NHL in GAA, 8th in the NHL in Save %. Better than expected from him, sure. But that may be sustainable. 

Wasn't he our #3 goaltender entering the season? I remember the Wings carrying 3 goalies and I thought they were crazy. Turns out, we needed all 3.