February 2024 game thread

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

roll four lines.

sneaky under the radar story, yzerman hit on seider and raymond but has gotten zero contributions from anyone else in those drafts...

patience?  or misses?

For sure. All his hits 2019-2022 were top 8 picks. Will see about Cossa, a mid-1st rounder. While any 2nd rounder is anything but a sure thing, more likely than not to not make the NHL, the whiffs on six 2nd round picks 2019-2020 is abysmal: Tuomisto, Mastrosimone, Johansson, Wallinder, Niederbach, Hanas. Then the 2021 2nd rounder was Buium.  Not good, Stevie, not good. 

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

For sure. All his hits 2019-2022 were top 8 picks. Will see about Cossa, a mid-1st rounder. While any 2nd rounder is anything but a sure thing, more likely than not to not make the NHL, the whiffs on six 2nd round picks 2019-2020 is abysmal: Tuomisto, Mastrosimone, Johansson, Wallinder, Niederbach, Hanas. Then the 2021 2nd rounder was Buium.  Not good, Stevie, not good. 

i still have hope for johannson and wallinder.  hanas maybe as a 4th line guy.

in other news, wheeler's prospect ranking countdown is on and he's up to #7 (blackhawks, even w/o bedard and korchinski).  so the wings will be top 6 again.

It is really hard to fast track players from the draft to the nhl and have success, especially outside of the first round and sometimes even in the back half the of the first round.  Sure it would be nice to have some of these later picks up and contributing but it isn't very abnormal that the process is slower than the Seiders and Raymonds of the world.  If you go and look at the second and third rounds of these drafts there isn't even a ton of average established nhlers.  If you expect the Wings to hit on instant superstars you're going be really disappointed, if it were easy all the teams would be doing it.

you have 20 'regular' players. A decent hockey player has a roughly 10yr career, so if you are restocking via the draft you need 2 players per draft on average. Of course you don't build only from the amateur draft, but by the averages it's true Yzerman hasn't exactly being tearing it up. Then again, what kind of scouting and development did he inherit? The proof won't be so much from his early drafts as whether there is net upward  trend in the results over 4-5 yrs.

Edited by gehringer_2

Holland between 2008-2018 almost always found a solid NHL player after the 1st round. It's true that some of these didn't really make the NHL until 3 or 4 years after their draft year.

2008: Nyquist, 4th round, 760 NHL games, 471 points

2009: Tatar, 2nd round, 835 NHL games, 475 points

2009: Nick Jensen, 5th round, 539 NHL games

2010: Calle Jarnkrok, 2nd round, 693 NHL games, 299 points

2010: Petr Mrazek, 5th round, 374 NHL games in net

2011: Xavier Ouelett, 2nd round, 178 NHL games

2011: Alexey Marchenko, 7th round, 121 NHL games

2012: Andreas Athanasiou, 4th round, 470 NHL games

2013: Tyler Bertuzzi, 2nd round, 381 NHL games and counting

2013: Mattias Janmark-Nylen, 3rd round, 529 NHL games

2014: None (4th rounder Christopher Ehn didn't really do enough for me to count)

2015: None

2016: Filip Hronek, 2nd round, 368 NHL games, 199 points and counting

2017: Gustav Lindstrom, 2nd round, 151 NHL games (I'd consider him a borderline "NHLer")

2018: None, or Berggren a borderline NHLer with 76 NHL games but still some time

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

Some? Looks like it is true for pretty much all of them except for Hronek I'm seeing so... some patience is needed I would say.

patience is good.  its been 4 years for the 2019 class. 

tuomisto is in grand rapids.

mastrosimone is out of the organization.

johannson is on his second stint in the grand rapids, but got some buzz last year and is still getting it this year.

albin grewe is in sweden and i think he's out of the org.

ethan phillips is still in college.

cooper moore is in college.

elmer is in grand rapids.

tyutayev is back in russia.

out of that list we have one star/superstar in seider.

tuomisto still has a shot, but its an outside shot at being a depth defenseman.

johannson has enough buzz that i think he still has a shot to be a solid nhl player or trade bait like sebrango was.

elmer still has to grow into his body and improve his skating.  he could be rasmussen with better hands.

the rest arent going to be anything.

like you said, still too early to tell but its getting to put-up-or-shut-up time for the class.

Edited by buddha

50 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Why I'm not worried about the Capitals catching the Wings: Anthony Mantha is their 4th leading scorer, with 29 points in 51 games. 

if cossa turns into even an average nhl goalie that trade will be a win.  

44 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

We have 25 games to catch Toronto. It's possible...

Still not thinking about the Leafs...

At all.

My focus right now is on putting distance between Detroit & Tampa & Philly. And to the "almosts" this year.

To that end: Philly lost to the Rangers. Tampa won (but beat the Islanders, one of this year's "almosts".)

The "almost" Capitols are currently tied, but the "almost" Devils won.

So with today's Detroit win, we're 1 point ahead of Philly & Tampa, but have a game in hand on Philly and 2 on Tampa.

And we're at least 6 points, or more, on the "almost" teams.

At 57 games... I'm going to keep looking in the rearview mirror and try to add some more distance, at least for the next 10-12 games, before I look to see if we can pass someone else like the Leafs and/or the Hurricanes...

But that's just me.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

patience is good.  its been 4 years for the 2019 class. 

tuomisto is in grand rapids... johannson is on his second stint in the grand rapids, but got some buzz last year and is still getting it this year... elmer is in grand rapids.

tuomisto still has a shot, but its an outside shot at being a depth defenseman.

johannson has enough buzz that i think he still has a shot to be a solid nhl player or trade bait like sebrango was.

elmer still has to grow into his body and improve his skating.  he could be rasmussen with better hands.

Also in Grand Rapids are 2020 picks Wallinder (2nd), Hanas (2nd), and Viro (3rd), and 2021 picks aside from Edvinsson & Cossa (1sts of course, in GR) is Mazur (3rd) and 2022 picks outside of 1st round Kasper (already in GR) is Amadeus Lombardi (love typing that... 4th rounder).

None of the later round guys (outside of the 1st) might amount to ANYTHING. But...

I think patience is definitely warranted at this point.

Or... Yzerman trades 1 or a few of those guys as part of a package like he did Sebrango for DeBrincat.

Hard to expect much of anything on 2nd round and later picks...I think Tuomisto is intriguing...two years in college, a year in Finland as a pro and now a season in the AHL.  Wallinder hasn't shown much progress (it seems) this year.  

10 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

...  Wallinder hasn't shown much progress (it seems) this year.  

But isn't this his 1st (full) year in GR?

I'd give him a little more time, at least through the end of next year.... to guess as to what he may be capable of turning into. He's a "stay-at-home" guy right? Not an offensive D'man? He's got 11 pts in 45 games with a +4 at 21 years old (22 in July), his 1st full year in GR... 

Yeah... I'd say he warrants a little more time.

Edited by 1984Echoes