February 2024 game thread

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

outshot 34-17.

winning 4-0

The Wings offensive style is not going to lead to high shot totals very often. They don't bother taking many low % shots that other teams do - conversely they play for the perfect setup more than a lot of teams. They are scoring goals though, so I don't worry about shot numbers. When they struggle it's on the defensive end.

14 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

I just need the Wings to make the playoffs this year, I don't even care what happens after.  

And it's all about making it, not really placement. Because either Florida or Boston could finish #1, so who would you rather play - not clear. Or if 1st wildcard instead of 2nd wildcard, Rangers instead of Florida/Boston. Again, not a big difference. 

I don't think it was a bad thing that Jersey beat Philly yesterday. Wings are 3 points behind Philly but with 2 games in hand. Wings are 2 points up on Jersey with same number of games played. Have to finish ahead of one of those teams, might be easier over Philly with still 1/3 of the season to go. All of NYI (5 pts behind the Wings, the Wings have  played one more game) and Washington (6 pts behind the Wings, the Wings have played 1 more game) and Pittsburgh (7 pts behind the Wings, the Wings have played 3 more games) are still threats.  On the other hand, I haven't given up on passing Tampa (3 pts ahead of the Wings, the Wings have 2 games in hand) or Toronto (Leafs are 4 pts ahead of the Wings, the Wings have played one more game), although the Leafs may finally be hitting their stride.

Edited by lordstanley

31 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

I've never been a believer in there being good and bad match ups in the playoffs.  There are too many examples of two teams having a certain record against each other in the regular season just for the exact opposite to happen in the playoffs.  Give me the Wings healthy and playing well at the end of the season and I'll be happy with whoever they end up facing.  

Yup, I seem to recall a Wings president's trophy team getting trounced one year in the opening series by a young Edmonton team that shouldn't have matched up with them (on paper). In a short series energy and goal tending can mean everything else goes out the window.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

big loss for pittsburgh.  big comeback for the rangers v the islanders.

good day for the wings.

I will start a Playoff Tracker thread on March 1, or someone else may do so in the meantime which would be totally cool. It was a fixture of the board in the springs of 2014-2016 when the Wings were a bubble team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I will start a Playoff Tracker thread on March 1, or someone else may do so in the meantime which would be totally cool. It was a fixture of the board in the springs of 2014-2016 when the Wings were a bubble team.

Might wanna wait until after the trade deadline...

Just in case...

Tigers to play the Blue Jsckets in a Stadium Series game next season, March 1 2025, at Ohio Stadium. The outdoors concept is well past its best before date,but what I saw of the two games from MetLife this weekend seemed like good entertainment in a good atmosphere. 

https://oilersnation.com/news/nhl-notebook-blue-jackets-to-host-red-wings-in-2025-stadium-series-at-ohio-stadium-and-which-teams-have-the-best-odds-to-select-macklin-celebrini-in-2024-draft

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Wings to play the Blue Jsckets in a Stadium Series game next season, March 1 2025, at Ohio Stadium. The outdoors concept is well past its best before date,but what I saw of the two games from MetLife this weekend seemed like good entertainment in a good atmosphere. 

https://oilersnation.com/news/nhl-notebook-blue-jackets-to-host-red-wings-in-2025-stadium-series-at-ohio-stadium-and-which-teams-have-the-best-odds-to-select-macklin-celebrini-in-2024-draft

FTFY