February 2024 game thread

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

I saw the clip of the OT goal, and I'm confused. They were playing 4 on 4, isn't OT 3 on 3?

The Wings were shorthanded for the first 16 seconds of OT. In overtime, when shorthanded, the sides play 4 on 3, as 3 on 2 would be too lopsided. At the first whistle after the penalty expires, you revert to 3 on 3. So the Wings killed off the penalty (Maata returns to ice to make it 4 on 4) and then scored before the first whistle. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

The Wings were shorthanded for the first 16 seconds of OT. In overtime, when shorthanded, the sides play 4 on 3, as 3 on 2 would be too lopsided. At the first whistle after the penalty expires, you revert to 3 on 3. So the Wings killed off the penalty (Maata returns to ice to make it 4 on 4) and then scored before the first whistle. 

Very interesting. I knew OT PP is 4 on 3. Didn’t realize it can be 4on4 after the penalty expires. 

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yes.

He earned them 2 points.

Some amazing saves (and a little bit of puck luck too...).

this one was all Lyon, the Wings really had no business being in a position to take points in this one with the number of defensive breakdowns. They didn't just give up shots today, but grade A scoring chances by the boat load. Broken record here but Yzerman still needs to do something to improve the D corps before the deadline.

Edited by gehringer_2

38 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Ok. Without reading any comments yet, I say fine with the money, term a bit long by a year, but whatever. Not really what you expect a top 10 draft pick to be, but Ras has found a role and most people are more positive on him now than they were 18 months ago.

rasmussen extension.jpg

I know Ras is a center, but I still think the obvious best match for the Wings is for him to be playing next to Larkin. Put Debrincat with his buddy Kane (and Compher) and play the other main line as Ras, Larkin and Raymond. The latter would give you combination of guile, playmaking, speed, shooting and *physicality* that would optimize all three of those talents. Larkin and Raymond both need to be out there with a big body to manage the chronic head hunting they otherwise are faced with and Ras is going to be be able to leverage his ability to command space better with playing with a great passer. It's not exactly Messier/Gretsky but that's a sound concept that has held in the NHL for a long time.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

This seems like a pretty fair deal to me https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/michael-rasmussen-12703

It still feels like a misstep to have taken him over other players in his draft year but we can't do anything about that now.  He's developed into a useful NHL player, playing seemingly hard minutes and PK2 time.  He's actually been especially good on the PK this year too I think.  I think he fits the mold of the Comphers and Copps of the world that won't wow you with a ton of skill but are hard to play against.  Plus his crazy eyes are hilarious.  So this seems like a fair deal.

Caps beat Devils 7-2. Isles beat Pens 5-4 in OT.

Philly has 65 points after 56 games. Tampa has 65 points after 57 games. Wings have 64 points after 55 games. They are all in playoff spots at the moment.

Devils, Isles and Caps all have 60 points after 55 games. Pens have 56 points after 53 games.  They are all on the outside looking in at the moment.

42 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The two games that matter tonight are the Leafs on the road in Arizona and the Flyers on the road in Chicago. 

i'm not worried about the leafs.  they wont catch them.

the flyers should roll the hawks.  bedard is back but they stink.  they just sent reichel down to the ahl because he's been so bad.