February 2024 game thread

1 minute ago, buddha said:

9 points up on washington.

(only 2 behind toronto...)

Yeah, they're pretty much as close to the top of the Eastern conference as they are to 9th place.

1. Florida - 82 points in 59 GP

2. NYR - 81 in 59

3. Boston - 82 in 60

7. Detroit - 72 in 59

9. Washington 63 in 58

10. NJ - 62 in 58

11. NYI - 62 in 58

12. Pitt - 60 in 55

Canes and Leafs both have 2 points and a game in hand on the Wings...

But keep this up Wings and we might be able to start shooting for the #4 spot (do we get that as the #3 team in Atlantic...?) in the playoffs.

Or at least the #4 record in the Conference...

With 213 goals through 59 games (5th in the NHL, 8 goals behind league leaders Vancouver and Colorado), the Wings are on pace to score to score 296 goals this season.

How many did they score in 2019? 227. 2009? 295. In 2008? 257. In 2002? 251.  1998? 250.  1997? 253.  1996? 325. 1991? 273.  In 1988? 322!!  1984? 298.

Shows that a) the Wings are scoring a ton of goals this year; but also b) goal totals depend quite a bit on the hockey era.

58 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Dallas gets Tanev...they give up a 2024 2nd, a D prospect and a condional 2026 3rd pick.  Flames retain 50% of salary.

Seems like a pretty good deal for Dallas....wish we the Wings would have made it

that's a great deal for dallas.  not sure what calgary is doing there.  they must like the prospect better than others do.  they're taking a lot of heat in the media for that deal.

Seems like a very weird deal for Calgary, I was reading that prospect from Dallas was probably not even going to get a QO after this season as a RFA.  A second seems pretty whatever for a solid defenseman, the Stars won't care if they lose the third because that means they made the cup finals.  And with all the salary retention it seems like the Flames should have gotten at least a mid tier prospect...  I have a feeling Yzerman isn't too interested in trading for a defender right now but that's just my uneducated guess.

12 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Seems like a very weird deal for Calgary, I was reading that prospect from Dallas was probably not even going to get a QO after this season as a RFA.  A second seems pretty whatever for a solid defenseman, the Stars won't care if they lose the third because that means they made the cup finals.  And with all the salary retention it seems like the Flames should have gotten at least a mid tier prospect...  I have a feeling Yzerman isn't too interested in trading for a defender right now but that's just my uneducated guess.

or uninterested in a rental defender he doesnt want to re-sign.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Literal trash.

Thumbs down. It is what it is, it was bound to happen, if it's red and white at home like they say I won't really notice it. I don't think it's the end of the world, but it's another revenue source that doesn't benefit the fans in any manner.

Edited by lordstanley

I got on an elevator to get up to my organ level drink rail seat. It went down first, and Chris Osgood hopped on.

Another two employees were chatting about the patch and asked him what he thought. He played it political and said “I try to stay out of that stuff I can barely keep track of myself.” Then getting off he jokingly asked the usher directions to the press box, said it was his first time here at LCA.

I will say this though, I don't think there is anything "sacred" about the jersey or that advertising in sports is a new thing. If you listen to a Tigers radio broadcast from the '30s, Ty Tyson couldn't go 30 seconds without plugging a product. Outfield walls were plastered with ads too in some parks. Still can't stand the flashing virtual ads on the boards though, drives me nuts.

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I will say this though, I don't think there is anything "sacred" about the jersey or that advertising in sports is a new thing. If you listen to a Tigers radio broadcast from the '30s, Ty Tyson couldn't go 30 seconds without plugging a product. Outfield walls were plastered with ads too in some parks. Still can't stand the flashing virtual ads on the boards though, drives me nuts.

I come at it from what you said a little earlier. This is just more money into Ilitch’s pocket that fans will never see a dime of. If we saw ticket prices decrease (yeah right) or maybe if District Detroit magically appeared, I might be more forgiving.

• Like 1