March 2024 Game Thread

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

again, they cant clear the zone and they give up an early goal.

if there is one criticism of yzerman it is his love of average to below average defensemen who are "experienced."

look, if steve yzerman and sergei federov are your forwards you can afford to have veteran (old) defensemen.  especially if you have the greatest defenseman of all time on your blue line.  but if you have larkin (good) and compher (decent) in your top six, you cant be giving multi year deals to ollie maata, justin holm, and jeff petry and think you can be a playoff contender.

Not to mention a checking line like the Grind. Yzerman probably gets it from Scotty, who generally hated young defensemen. Wings did always bring in a lot of older Dmen back in the day, they could just get better ones - Murphy, Fetisov, Samuelson, Schneider, Coffey.....

must win game and theyre down 3-0 to an arizona team that traded half their team today.

totally pathetic how bad this team is whithout ONE GUY!!!!  you take larkin out and they're the san jose sharks.

Honestly, the only measure of success this year, to me, was making the playoffs.   Captain goes down and they fall apart?   Where's the depth that Yzerman is talking about?  If they had it they wouldn't be falling off a cliff.     Don't know about you, but shouldn't the seat start warming up for Yzerman if they fail to get in again?    Not impressed.     Getting their arse kicked by a horrible team that plays for 5.000 people.   Not acceptable.    Telling me there wasn't any real move to make here?   None?    Feels like the Wings are going to be one of those perpetual prospects team that never matures.    Yzerman is going to have his own episode of Hoarders soon. 

They aren't as good as they looked on the hot streak, they do need more leadership in the room than just Larkin. Yzerman has done a good job of raising the general talent level to where the team is much more competitive, but he's got to do something in the way of swinging for the fences to increase the number of players on the team with top level will to win, which right now is pretty much just Larkin and Seider. I don't know if Kane was a player that used to supply some of that for the Hawks, if so maybe his role in the regard will grow.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

i hope the wings fans there booed them off the ice.

But Captain got hurt.  How can you expect to play well when Captain gets hurt.   I say it's best to just give up.   Mission accomplished.    Like the Tigers the first time Riley Greene got hurt last year.   They flatlined.        

2-0 now and the shots are 16-3. Looks like freefall.

They gave up both both goals with the same five on the ice - Seider, Chairot, Veleno, Raymond and Berggren. Might consider not sending that combination out there again.

Edited by gehringer_2