March 2024 Game Thread

the underlying numbers said they werent as good as their record most of the season.  

judging from what yzerman did - and didnt - do at the trade deadline, he must feel the same way.

if larkin comes back they still have a good shot at making it, mostly because the competition isnt very good either.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the underlying numbers said they werent as good as their record most of the season.  

Maybe, but they had a strong goal differential and they had won more than their share of games in regulation, instead of relying on loser points. Not sure about stuff like PDO and Corsi though.

I'm not knowledgable enough to be able to break down the details, but it just seems teams have adjusted to the game wings like to play and the wings haven't been able to compensate. Coaching or talent? Probably both. My general  impressions is that wings almost play a too strictly position oriented game. Maybe it's players without the recognition to be able to switch roles moment by moment with need or maybe Lalonde doesn't want them to, but I think that is part of why Larkin is so much the centerpiece, because that his game. 

Sounds like they are going pair Simon with Petry. That could work. Petry is steady but his skating is sort of gone - he doesn't show enough speed to pressure the puck effectively in the defensive zone - if Edvinsson brings some reach and energy and more attack to the their pairing maybe it will work out.

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

... Petry is steady but his skating is sort of gone ...

Aren't Holl & Maatta's skating less gone than Petry's?

I'd rather Holl with Edvinsson.... more defensively responsible and better skating.

IMO...

I could be wrong on that...

So... can Maatta play his off-hand? Because he's the younger/ better skater and he's a +14 (I know +/- is flawed... HOWEVER) while Petry is -5 and all the starters get incrementally worse than that... Topped out by Gost's -18. (Holl BTW is +8).

Chiarot & Petry were on the ice for that breakaway goal by CBJ.

Why is it a good idea to put the two slowest D'men on the ice at the same time, both who have a propensity to be out of position (both skated into the O-zone with CBJ players behind them as Fischer lost a crappy turnover...)?

Another breakaway by CBJ with Texier just getting out of the penalty box.

2-0 CBJ.

PS: I don't want Maatta to go away. I want to keep him as 3rd/4th LH'ed D'man. Edvinsson to graduate, and Chiarot to go away. Petry can go away too, and add unproven Tuomisto because he's at least responsible in the D-zone versus the crap Petry keeps showing me.

Turn this frickin' D-corp OVER.

Edited by 1984Echoes

Maybe it's me...

But DeBrincat is just not the guy I'm looking for to build offense around. I know he's electric...

I think of Ciccarelli when I look at DeBrincat...

But Dino was just a little bigger, tougher, loved getting under opponents' skin, and more dangerous all-around.

Nice to grab Cat's talent... but I don't think he has the size for either longevity or the playoffs. Or maybe sustainability is a better word than longevity?

Regardless... I think he's a wrong fit for what this team needs.

At the very least we need a Brendan Shanahan. Size, toughness, AND goal-scoring ability.

Maybe we hang onto Cat because we need to...

But we need to add both higher end talent, youth and skill, as well as the size/playoff-toughness/goal-scoring that Shanahan was able to provide. Oh, and a large turnover of Defenseman. And a #1 Goalie.

OK...

Maybe more than just a couple guys...

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Wings showing life in 2nd period. Two early goals, including Raymond in his 5th straight game, tie it 2-2. 

Raymond is doing his part to try and keep us in the playoffs.

Seider scored the 2nd goal.

They're both young...

But I say: "Go ahead and takes the reins of leadership young dudes."

Edited by 1984Echoes