March 2024 Game Thread

27 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Oh my, horrible softie given up by Reimer. Tie game. 

yeah - that was a bad one. I wish Lalonde would just rotate guys on a more regular schedule. Neither Reimer nor Lyon is such a good goalie that trying to "ride a hot hand" for many games in a row is a good idea. Just keep everyone rested and sharp.

Tonight's game may have saved the whole season, but based on tonight.................I know this won't happen because everyone is so stat-obsessed, but I think Dylan Larking should be on a short list for Hart Trophy finalists.    Supposed to be for MVP, right?   Most Valuable doesn't have to mean Best Stats.   They have another award for that.    He really is extremely valuable to this team.   Tonight showed it.  Tonight the team played at a different level.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Tonight's game may have saved the whole season, but based on tonight.................I know this won't happen because everyone is so stat-obsessed, but I think Dylan Larking should be on a short list for Hart Trophy finalists.    Supposed to be for MVP, right?   Most Valuable doesn't have to mean Best Stats.   They have another award for that.    He really is extremely valuable to this team.   Tonight showed it.  Tonight the team played at a different level.  

Larkin didn't even make honorable mention in a recent piece ESPN did on NHL centers. Hockey is still a sport poorly characterized by its measurements.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

edvinsson played well.

- he was on the ice for the 1st NYI goal but it was Petry that lost his man. When he goes to the boards with an opponent, he is already more likely to comes away with the puck than most Wing players.

Wings did everything but tie it in final 2 minutes in 1-0 loss. If this was 20 games to go, I would say this effort is highly encouraging. But with only 11 games to go, points are king, no moral victories. If only the  Wings D-man hadnt overskated the puck trying to carry it out of zone leading to only with just over 5 minutes left. 

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and Petry was close but just gave Forsberg too much room on the winner. Not wild about Petry and Chiarot as a pairing anyway. TBF, not really big on Petry with anyone as a pairing.

At 36, age has definitely caught up with him.

I get Yzerman's desire to add enough experience to help lead this team into the playoffs...

But for this team to grow, we need some kids to start taking over.

And on the right-side... that's Tuomisto.

I don't know where he is in NHL-readiness...

But it looks like the is being defensively responsible in GR (28 points in 76 GR games, +14...), is a big 6'5" defensive dude...

At the very least... I'm hoping he can take a spot away from Petry and/or Holl in the 2024-25 season.

The sooner the better...

Edited by 1984Echoes