March 2024 Game Thread

the forwards are as bad or worse than the defense.

copp and compher were supposed to be solid vets who knew where to go and played solid defense.  instead, compher looks like a third line center and copp is now either 4th line or a winger.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

the forwards are as bad or worse than the defense.

copp and compher were supposed to be solid vets who knew where to go and played solid defense.  instead, compher looks like a third line center and copp is now either 4th line or a winger.

And not to state the obvious - Danielson might eventually be an all-star but right now the Hronek trade is killing us.

13 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

LOL what a F'ing joke this season turned out to be.  No way they recover from this slide and eek into the playoffs. 

Even if they did squeak in they would be swept or lose in 5. What a difference two weeks makes you feel.

i dont know if "credit" is the right term, it might say more about the market at the deadline.

but at some point theyre going to have to trade for or sign a "star."  i know they kind of did that with debrincat, but they need a second line center in the worst possible way.

and with the very slow way they bring prospects along (as well as the contracts they signed with copp/compher), it will be a few years before we find out if kasper or danielson is that type of player.

22 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What does this say about the rest of this team.   Larkin goes down and it is over.    What a weak bunch this is.  

Maybe the Wings would still be struggling if he was healthy. The rest of the team just forgot how to play defense and score. And our goalie quit playing way over his career stats.

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I would expect our GM and coaches to recognize that he was playing artificially well and make some kind of move to improve the position.      Guess not. 

Part of it is also statistical noise. For instance the number breakaways stopped is a small sample - there is always an element of guessing for the shooter and the goalie. A goalie might stop 8 or 10 breakaways out of 15 in two weeks and it was really nothing more coin flip luck because he made the right guess on where the shot would come and two weeks later he might let in 10 of 15 and he's the same goalie the whole time but his outcomes look a lot different.  A sharp analyst will pick up if a guy is getting sloppy with his angles or maybe is just getting beat up and not moving as well. Or it;s just fatigue and loss of reaction time. IDK  which if any of that kind of thing is an issue with Lyon. But even during the hot streak they were giving up too many wide open transitions and no goalie is going to keep up with that long term.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I would expect our GM and coaches to recognize that he was playing artificially well and make some kind of move to improve the position.      Guess not. 

I would think there would be serious changes after 3 or 4 losses in a row. Show some urgency....do something!

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I would think there would be serious changes after 3 or 4 losses in a row. Show some urgency....do something!

It tough for a hockey team. You're playing pretty much your whole roster so it's not like you can bench a bunch of guys for other guys currently sitting - maybe one forward and one d-man. That's not going to get anyone's attention. So what's left it to call up new guys, and the wing's best prospects are mostly still just a little bit too far away  - other than maybe Edvinsson and they have some kind of idee fixe about keeping him in GR all this season.

41 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Wings improve to 7-7 over their past 14 games, lol. 

That would be called the "long view."

As long as they can get themselves another winning streak going we can still have faith in this team...