March 2024 Game Thread

4 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

It's a wonder it took that long for the Canes to score, eesh

Petry wandering too.  He went over to Rasmussen's guy for no reason, blah.

Lalonde says in the post game that Petry did the right thing and it was Rasmussen’s guy in front. I’m sorry but even if that’s your “system” it is asinine in that moment. Ras is trailing “Petry’s” guy and obviously no where in position to cover the guy busting down the slot. It makes no sense for Petry to leave the middle of the ice to make that challenge under the circumstances.  

That doesn’t absolve Rasmussen in my eyes either. Not only did he apparently pick the wrong lane/player to backcheck on but he did it lazily too. He didn’t look like a player fighting for his playoff life in my opinion. Seider also made a half hearted attempt on the puck carrier on the play allowing the guy by him. Just ugly hockey all around, it was tough to watch.   This roster isn’t great and I’ve been fine with Lalonde, but I’m starting to get concerned that the team has no juice in a playoff race no matter the circumstances.  I’m very disheartened by this stretch that’s ended their playoff hopes. 

19 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Lalonde says in the post game that Petry did the right thing and it was Rasmussen’s guy in front. I’m sorry but even if that’s your “system” it is asinine in that moment.

Lalonde constantly stresses 'simple game' but is there a point where 'simple' turns into "dumb"

Edited by gehringer_2

tells me they dont think theyre going to make it this year.  keep bringing up filler guys and no potential difference makers.

they care more about GR doing well in the playoffs than detroit making it and losing in 4.

in the big picture, that might be the smarter move.

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

Makes me wonder if Yzerman regrets not selling at the deadline. Or as I think someone here suggested, maybe he was and no-one was interested in what he was making available.

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

tells me they dont think theyre going to make it this year.  keep bringing up filler guys and no potential difference makers.

they care more about GR doing well in the playoffs than detroit making it and losing in 4.

I’d hope they’d prefer the Wings making it and getting swept in 4 over GR making a long successful run.    A good run in the AHL or ECHL playoffs can’t a hurt a prospect but I don’t think there’s much correlation that it actually translates into  future success at the NHL level.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I’d hope they’d prefer the Wings making it and getting swept in 4 over GR making a long successful run.    A good run in the AHL or ECHL playoffs can’t a hurt a prospect but I don’t think there’s much correlation that it actually translates into  future success at the NHL level.  

he's always said he's building a long term project, and he has the leash to do it because he's steve freaking yzerman.

kenny holland said rebuilds take ten years.  to me, the rebuild STARTED in yzerman's first year.  kenny left this team with one of the worst teams in modern nhl history and a terrible farm system.   that team had larkin, bertuzzi, mantha, and hronek.

to me the rebuild began in 19-20, which puts us on course for being a contender in 2029!  whoo hoo were ahead of schedule!  maybe.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

he's always said he's building a long term project, and he has the leash to do it because he's steve freaking yzerman.

kenny holland said rebuilds take ten years.  to me, the rebuild STARTED in yzerman's first year.  kenny left this team with one of the worst teams in modern nhl history and a terrible farm system.   that team had larkin, bertuzzi, mantha, and hronek.

to me the rebuild began in 19-20, which puts us on course for being a contender in 2029!  whoo hoo were ahead of schedule!  maybe.

Hockey is a funny sport. Of all major sports it's the one where energy (and maybe good goaltending) can allow a team to play far better than it is for a fairly extended period (or even low energy resulting in a talented team playing worse than it should). But in the end, talent will out, and the high level talent Yzerman has been able to add on the ice is still a very short list. Two skilled but small forwards in Raymond and Debrincat, one great and one potentially good defenseman, and Kane, who is probably just passing through - and he has given up one pretty good defenseman to get there. What the Wings have is a pipeline and a lot of optimism about it.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hockey is a funny sport. Of all major sports it's the one where energy (and maybe good goaltending) can allow a team to play far better than it is for a fairly extended period (or even low energy resulting in a talented team playing worse than it should). But in the end, talent will out, and the high level talent Yzerman has been able to add on the ice is still a very short list. Two skilled but small forwards in Raymond and Debrincat, one great and one potentially good defenseman, and Kane, who is probably just passing through - and he has given up one pretty good defenseman to get there. What the Wings have is a pipeline and a lot of optimism about it.

i think he added a lot of middle of the road professional players to beef up the locker room.  i dont think we want to be buffalo, always winning the prospect race but always finishing last.

i understand why he did what he did in free agency for the MOST part.  i still dont understand holl AND petry.  one or the other maybe, but there was no need for both.

people bag on chairot bit he's been pretty decent this year.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think he added a lot of middle of the road professional players to beef up the locker room

No question - but I'd call it a two track process. just plain good pro scouting and dogged FO work is going to net you the marginal improvements to get you from terrible to watchable-and Yzerman has done well at that. But to get to great, better amateur scouting and drafting is the where all the big payoffs have to come and you can only get so much out of each year.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

.... people bag on chairot bit he's been pretty decent this year.

He was pretty crappy last season (2022-23) but yeah... he's been above-average this year. My impetus for moving on from him is that I think this may be his high point. We have several more years of commitment and I don't trust him not to regress to last season's crap. He started at top pair and was actually dragging Seider down with him in 2022. Once Walman took over top pair with Seider both Seider and Chiarot played better.

I'd rather have Maatta because he's cheaper and less committed-to than Chiarot. He's also younger and actually makes more positive plays than Chiarot although that again, may be matchups. But I'm good with Walman and Edvinsson as top two LHD'men and would like to move on from Chiarot as soon as we can.

Both to open up space for Edvinsson, as well as to move on before he regresses. Maybe this offseason?

But yes... he's played much better this year than last...

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

But I'm good with Walman and Edvinsson as top two LHD'men and would like to move on from Chiarot as soon as we can.

Seider, Edvinsson, Walman, Maatta and rebuild the rest. A RH shot Dman worth his salt will be expensive, but it's a necessary expense. 

I'm ready to flip it ALL over to the kids.

That means bringing up not only Edvinsson for next season, but also Tuomisto (RHD) and Wallinder (LHD).

Keep Holl for the RH'd pairing either 2nd or 3rd (depending on Tuomisto) and Maatta for 3rd left-side pairing or 4th D on the bench, as needed.

If an upgrade is needed... it can be held off until we see what the kids can do... or not. And adjust accordingly.