Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

nate oats is the man to get if he wants to come back home.  depends on whether he wants to leave a good spot where they actually get good players into school.

michigan basketball may be a poisoned chalice if the admissions department doesnt get on board the "were professionals now" train.

While knee jerk says to do this, Beilein at 71yo is not a long-term answer to the woes of the basketball program. If he was brought in, it would need to be on a three-year plan, where everyone involved knew he was done afterwards. He could provide much needed stability, but a better plan would be needed for the direction of the program.

It would be like hiring Lloyd Carr back after firing Rich Rod. Sure, he’ll bring stability, but it’s not going to solve all your problems.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

While knee jerk says to do this, Beilein at 71yo is not a long-term answer to the woes of the basketball program. If he was brought in, it would need to be on a three-year plan, where everyone involved knew he was done afterwards. He could provide much needed stability, but a better plan would be needed for the direction of the program.

It would be like hiring Lloyd Carr back after firing Rich Rod. Sure, he’ll bring stability, but it’s not going to solve all your problems.

It's a thought, but I'll be surprised if an old school guy like JB has much desire to step back into the the one and done merry-go-round system let alone one and done plus NIL. And even if he did it doesn't play to his strengths.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, buddha said:

beilein has been out of bball for years now and is 70 years old.  hiring him would be stupid.

IDK that he's exactly 'out' of Basketball. He has a title with the Pistons - unclear to me what it entails/how involved he stays.

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

beilein has been out of bball for years now and is 70 years old.  hiring him would be stupid.

I don’t think it would be stupid but I do think it would be a bandaid over a bullet hole. It’s not like he’d come in and win championships. He’d be respectable and probably make a tournament.

12 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think it would be stupid but I do think it would be a bandaid over a bullet hole. It’s not like he’d come in and win championships. He’d be respectable and probably make a tournament.

make a tournament with what?

half the team will leave.  he has limited talent left on the team.  what recruit will come here knowing he's a band aid coach?  what player can they get in the portal when they refuse almost everyone who isnt a freshman or a grad transfer?

you wouldnt be building a program, you'd be pining for nostalgia with a 70 year old man who hasnt coached in years.

find the next john beilein, not the retired john beilein.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

make a tournament with what?

half the team will leave.  he has limited talent left on the team.  what recruit will come here knowing he's a band aid coach?  what player can they get in the portal when they refuse almost everyone who isnt a freshman or a grad transfer?

you wouldnt be building a program, you'd be pining for nostalgia with a 70 year old man who hasnt coached in years.

find the next john beilein, not the retired john beilein.

Not in 2025 he wouldn’t, but by 2027 he would have something to make it as one and done 10 or 11-seed.

13 hours ago, buddha said:

100%  -  JB is living in a past that doesn’t exist anymore.  He shouldn’t want any part of this new NIL and transfer portal world.  It would kill him.  

Top Choices:

Shaka Smart (he won’t come)

Jerome Tang

Dusty May

The Iowa State guy

Even Mick Cronin

Edited by Hongbit

44 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Not in 2025 he wouldn’t, but by 2027 he would have something to make it as one and done 10 or 11-seed.

no no NO!  

this isnt a jim harbaugh situation where he left after all the other good choices were hired by other teams, michigan has their pick of the litter.  they can interview and hire any number of up and coming coaches.

beilein is too old.

although i dont put it past michigan to re-hire him.  its an easy decision that requires little thought or proactive action.

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

100%  -  JB is living in a past that doesn’t exist anymore.  He shouldn’t want any part of this new NIL and transfer portal world.  It would kill him.  

Top Choices:

Jerome Tang

Dusty May

The Iowa State guy

Even Mick Cronin

Nate Oats

Porter Moser

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

Nate Oats

Porter Moser

I assumed Alabama wouldn’t let Oats leave.  It helps when you have a real AD that can actually make big leadership decisions on his own.    Always liked Moser.  What he did at Loyola was amazing and he’s doing things at Oklahoma.  

17 hours ago, buddha said:

michigan basketball may be a poisoned chalice if the admissions department doesnt get on board the "were professionals now" train.

It's not just the admit, you still have graduation rates and progress toward degree issues that will slam them if they just drop all pretense, and that's a different set of issues. I doubt that a tacit agreement to pass athletes through their classes is part of any hiring criteria for UM faculty and the athletic dept doesn't really have any leverage over the larger faculty. This is where the the historical academic culture in the larger institution does start to matter in terms of making things easier or harder. There are advisories that come down from the admin requiring that athletes be given accommodation on scheduling, but that's about as far as it can go. And of course there is an underground system which identifies instructors who are above average sympathetic, but I imagine that everything is just going to keep getting crazier

Maybe a new system where as long as you do promise to leave in a year we'll let you roll over 30 credit hours of incompletes......:classic_wink:

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

beilein is too old.

although i dont put it past michigan to re-hire him.  its an easy decision that requires little thought or proactive action.

JB isn’t too old.    He’s too clean for this new world of CBB.  Kelvin Sampson and Pitino are succeeding at nearly the same age as JB, but they were both notorious cheaters that broke every rule in the book.  Not a surprise they are enjoying success with everything now being legal.  

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

JB isn’t too old.    He’s too clean for this new world of CBB.  Kelvin Sampson and Pitino are succeeding at nearly the same age as JB, but they were both notorious cheaters that broke every rule in the book.  Not a surprise they are enjoying success with everything now being legal.  

It's ironic to me that the one guy who has blamed the new money system for his walking away (at least in part) was Saban. Not the quarter I expected to hear that from.

Edited by gehringer_2

51 minutes ago, buddha said:

no no NO!  

this isnt a jim harbaugh situation where he left after all the other good choices were hired by other teams, michigan has their pick of the litter.  they can interview and hire any number of up and coming coaches.

beilein is too old.

I don’t think JB would be a good hire, I just think he would be a safe hire. Part of my inclination to be okay re-hiring him is a knowledge that Warde is the one making the decision, and I don’t trust Warde to not set the program back even further.

What’s Ray Jackson up to?

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's not just the admit, you still have graduation rates and progress toward degree issues that will slam them if they just drop all pretense, and that's a different set of issues. I doubt that a tacit agreement to pass athletes through their classes is part of any hiring criteria for UM faculty and the athletic dept doesn't really have any leverage over the larger faculty. This is where the the historical academic culture in the larger institution does start to matter in terms of making things easier or harder. There are advisories that come down from the admin requiring that athletes be given accommodation on scheduling, but that's about as far as it can go. And of course there is an underground system which identifies instructors who are above average sympathetic, but I imagine that everything is just going to keep getting crazier

Maybe a new system where as long as you do promise to leave in a year we'll let you roll over 30 credit hours of incompletes......:classic_wink:

michigan has been passing athletes for years.  kineseology majors, anyone?

even when my grandfather was teaching there it was common knowledge that certain professors would always give athletes "Cs" no matter what.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

michigan has been passing athletes for years.  kineseology majors, anyone?

even when my grandfather was teaching there it was common knowledge that certain professors would always give athletes "Cs" no matter what.

LOL - Kenesiology was a known thing even when I was an undergrad - which may have been around that same time!

It exists everywhere to some extent, and it's widespread knowledge among the student body which major it is.

Was always funny to me to look at the baseball starting lineup in undergrad and see eight of the nine were Communications majors. Figured there must be significant overlap between the skills of hitting a baseball and the desire to communicate effectively.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would Chris Collins from Northwestern be an underwhelming hire? He's taken one of the hardest schools to recruit at to the tourny 3 times. Grants, he's won next to nothing when he has made it there.

no.  shoot higher than that garbage.