Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the way this is going to work is that they are going to go to Howard and ask him exactly what he does to make next yr different that this year, and his chance to stay is make a compelling enough case that everything is going to change. The situation is analogous to where they were with Harbaugh after 2020. If all Juwan has is "we're going to work harder and do better, he's gone. If he has a remediation plan that checks all the boxes -assistants, portal management, recruiting, academic management etc., and it's impressive enough - maybe they given him year to try.

If Warde Manual wants to keep his job he had better do the exact same. 

I’m not sure how you fire Juwan right now and allow Warde Manuel to pick the next head coach.   He’s going to screw it up and the school will be locked into an expensive 5 year contract for someone just as bad.   

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure how you fire Juwan right now and allow Warde Manuel to pick the next head coach.   He’s going to screw it up and the school will be locked into an expensive 5 year contract for someone just as bad.   

If that is how they are making decisions, I don't feel comfortable about the future at all.     They should both be gone.  Jim's not here to protect Warde anymore.   Clean break time.  

As Worm says to Mike McDermitt in Rounders "It's Highway Time".       Paye Heem.  Paye thyat myan hees mahney and send him out of town.   

Isn't Warde Manuel in charge of the upcoming playoff format for college football?    

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

And the unfortunate fact is that who the coach is isn't going to matter much if the program cannot compete $$ wise for players. The player who would have been their #1 this season walked away for more money.

57 minutes ago, romad1 said:

so, this reflects someone taking notice of Juwan's toxicity. 

And with the addition of more money and the player mobility the background tension levels on college sports teams only increase. This ain't John Beilein's NCAA anymore.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

so, this reflects someone taking notice of Juwan's toxicity. 

it's an administrative proceeding designed to cover the administration's ass when they fire him.  "well, we had a consultant group come in and review and they told us that things were amiss!"

its a weak administrator's way of building a case to fire someone.  warde cant make a decision on his own.  they have more than enough evidence to fire him for cause.

• Thanks 1

it's the same **** they did with mel pearson.  that process took months and months and it cost michigan hockey top recruits because warde wouldnt pull the trigger himself (or wasnt allowed to).  cost them trey augustine.

the same thing will happen here.  juwan will dangle for months while the investigation is completed, michigan will miss out on any hot coaches, and recruits will leave.

stanford just fired their coach.  its easy to fire a coach!  just do it!

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

its a weak administrator's way of building a case to fire someone. 

Yeah - I think this is probably spot on. They need "process" as justification for doing the obvious because the fiction must be maintained that winning is not the only value in big time sports.

So I imagine if you put any group of twenty 18-20 old kids' lives under a microscope you can dig up enough going on to come to any conclusion you want so they will get what they want.

The truth is probably closer to this: Juwan may have arrested development juvenile anger issues that make him an untenable presence in the modern world, but that is not why his team lost (anyone remember Bobby Knight?) They lost because of talent: Dickerson walked and then they lost more talent to injury and academics. His recruiting probably fell off because you don't exactly overflow with energy when you have coronary disease, and energy is sine qua non for a recruiter. I'd also note Dickerson didn't leave mad, he just left for money, and that goes to more doorsteps than just Juwan's. 

For Juwan, bringing his kids to his own program was a mistake, but he's only the zillionth coach to have done that.

In the end, it's NBD. Coaches come and go. Not everyone is cut out to succeed. It's just that I think it's not going to be as easy as folks think to find the guy who fits into all the pieces of the puzzle it takes to win at basketball in Ann Arbor.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - I think this is probably spot on. They need "process" as justification for doing the obvious because the fiction must be maintained that winning is not the only value in big time sports.

So I imagine if you put any group of twenty 18-20 old kids' lives under a microscope you can dig up enough going on to come to any conclusion you want so they will get what they want.

The truth is probably closer to this: Juwan may have arrested development juvenile anger issues that make him an untenable presence in the modern world, but that is not why his team lost (anyone remember Bobby Knight?) They lost because of talent: Dickerson walked and then they lost more talent to injury and academics. His recruiting probably fell off because you don't exactly overflow with energy when you have coronary disease, and I'd note Dickerson didn't leave mad, he just left for money, and that goes to more doorsteps than just Juwan's. 

For Juwan, bringing his kids to his own program was a mistake, but he's only the zillionth coach to have done that.

In the end, it's NBD. Coaches come and go. It's just that I think it's not going to be as easy as folks think to find the guy who fits into all the pieces of the puzzle it takes to win at basketball in Ann Arbor.

I fully expect Michigan to compete for national championships under a new coach in under 3 years. 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

/s

!!!!

Nah...this program, this position, this talent pool.  Should be able to tap into the wellspring of multiple elite recruiting areas.  Should have plenty of NIL money.  The Fab 5 were the result of pre-NIL-NIL.  

3 hours ago, buddha said:

it's an administrative proceeding designed to cover the administration's ass when they fire him.  "well, we had a consultant group come in and review and they told us that things were amiss!"

its a weak administrator's way of building a case to fire someone.  warde cant make a decision on his own.  they have more than enough evidence to fire him for cause.

I honestly thought we already did this, which is what led to the zero tolerance policy... which is what led to doing again for the Sanderson investigation..... which leads to now another independent review of the "culture"?

How much money do you need put into independent reviews to tell you that your coach sucks and should have been fired two years ago?