Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - Maybe horrible, but that's what they decided they wanted to do! IDK, after dealing with Harbaugh it's not hard to understand if they they were reluctant get behind the eight ball contractually with the next coach. It's maybe a poor play program wise but it's understandable human nature wise. 

meh, its what they allowed to happen because it was the easiest course of action to take in the short run.  that's why they did it.

Who you believing here?    We know there have been SEVERAL incidents where Juwan Howard could not control his temper and had to be restrained.    That is why I believe Sanderson.   Howard's a bully and a ****ty coach to boot.   Most of his players have more maturity than he does.   He hasn't learned a thing.   Just recently had to be restrained by his players on the freaking court over a call he didn't like.  He's a total embarrassment.  

I don't think it's a stretch to believe that his sons act just like he does. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who you believing here?    We know there have been SEVERAL incidents where Juwan Howard could not control his temper and had to be restrained.    That is why I believe Sanderson.   Howard's a bully and a ****ty coach to boot.   Most of his players have more maturity than he does.   He hasn't learned a thing.   Just recently had to be restrained by his players on the freaking court over a call he didn't like.  He's a total embarrassment.  

I don't think it's a stretch to believe that his sons act just like he does. 

im not a Howard fan but hes  was trying to get the team together for a timeout and McDaniels over reacted 

30 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Officially the worst season in the history of Michigan Basketball.  There shouldn't even be any thought put into it, Howard needs to go. 

I think there’s just as likely a chance that Warde blames the season on Juwan’s recovery from heart surgery and gives him a free pass to return next year.

3 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

I don't see how a school with such high standards for their athletics can justify giving him another chance when you look at the big picture.  

I don’t know if it will happen. I don’t think it should happen.  I can clearly see it happening because Warde Manuel is the one making the decision.  

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

Officially the worst season in the history of Michigan Basketball.  There shouldn't even be any thought put into it, Howard needs to go. 

Worst season since 1981-82 when they went 7-20.    Bill Frieder's 2nd season, but then again Bill Frieder didn't need to be physically restrained from going after other people.   Maybe a black jack table, but not other people.   

Fire him Ward or Ono fire them both.   Who cares about contract lengths?   You're out from under Harbuagh's money and the university has plenty.     Reset this disaster of an Athletic Department.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Is everyone's ESPN.com feed like this, or just mine? If the latter, have no idea what I did to alter things. In this order from top to bottom on the main page for me right now:

- Timberwolves @ Lakers score - fine, maybe the only active pro or college game right now

- Women's Gold Cup - hmm, ok, maybe big for some Americans

- LSU vs South Carolina women's college basketball SEC tournament

- story about South Carolina women's wild weekend

- row of 4 video clips about LSU-South Carolina

- big box of 6 women's college basketball scores

- Iowa, USC win tournament titles - more women's college basketball

- NBA scoreboard

- two stories about Mac Jones trade - thought NFL content would be higher up

- another story about "fallout from SEC title game" - women's college BB

- below that a story about women's March Madness bracketology

- men's college hoops scores - way down here?

- Arnold Palmer golf results

- NHL scoreboard

- story about the NHL playoff picture and trade deadline

- a bunch of stories about NFL free agency - isn't that the #1 topic of interest overall, nationwide?

Either ESPN thinks I'm a woman, or someone literally got murdered in that LSU-South Carolina women's basketball game, or Caitlin Clark is an AI-generated bug unleashed by ESPN.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

i couldnt give a rat's a$s about women's sports.

Yeah....

I am all for there being equal opportunities for women's sports at the amateur level.

But it is force fed at the professional level. The WNBA does not make a profit and hasn't for the entirety of its existence. I think if the NBA thought they could disband it without causing riots and vitriol they would in a second.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

warde will do nothing because he's bad at this part of his job.

im not sure there's a part of the job he's good at, maybe he can fundraise like a demon?

Could be fundraising for sure. None of us see the details of what the ath dept is putting together for NIL for the future. What kind of planning is going on for the end of NCAA football conference organization as we know it? Maybe the admin loves all he is doing there. (or maybe not - but we don't know) So you have financial management, facilities construction and management (which there is and has been a lot of under Manuel. So there could be any number of check boxes on his performance review. If you take a long view, coaches come and go, do well and not so well, rise spectacularly and fall just as badly at all programs. You just aren't going to hire that many Red Berensons in one lifetime who show up, do nothing but win, and get to retirement with everyone still loving them. Harbaugh's tenure was a roller coaster, Howard looked like the real deal for a while, now not so much - so they will likely move on. It would have been poor form to fire a guy convalescing from major health issues when he was busting his butt to get back to this program to try to run it. The fans get wrapped up in the day to day and season by season results, but it's a long term operation. If they had had a short leash on Harbaugh he'd have been fired after 2020 and they likely miss the Natty. Heck if Harbaugh had played his NFL Hamlet act when Bo was the AD, Bo certainly would have fired him and we'd be in year 3 of rebuilding with a PJ Fleck. So sure, too much deliberation is bad, fast decisions aren't guaranteed either.

Edited by gehringer_2

Juwan Howard is so good at his job that he's gonna be given Justin Verlander's career total of Ks before he's fired...apparently.  

SMDH, please get Beilein on the phone and have him be our transition coach until we can find his actually talented replacement. 

Someone posted a picture of the time Beilein had his team show up after a plane slid off the runway, in their practice jerseys and destroyed.  That was a team culture like the 2023 football team had. 

lets get back to that. 

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

You can't deny the quality of a lot of Bacon's work, but that kind of post is waste of time. 

Given his stance to this point has been “he’s coming back don’t shoot the messenger” I think it signifies something of a turning of the tide, even if minor. Someone told him something.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Given his stance to this point has been “he’s coming back don’t shoot the messenger” I think it signifies something of a turning of the tide, even if minor. Someone told him something.

Juwan probably hit Warde

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The odds of this happening should be zero, but would any of us actually be that shocked if we awoke to this headline on ESPN tomorrow morning? 

They brought Harbaugh back under a 'process improvement plan' with a positive (if short term) outcome, I can see there being support in some quarters to do the same with Howard, though he doesn't have the coaching track record Harbaugh had to support offering the option. Could also depend a lot on on the budgetary condition of the basketball program (about which I haven't a clue)

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1-and-Done in the Big Ten Tourney - to nobody's surprise   8-24.   Worst season since 1959/60 when they went 4-20 (1-13).       This is in Year 5, not year 2 with someone else's recruits.     That alone should be enough.    The behavior was already more than enough.  

Jim Harbaugh won more games, despite being suspended for six of them.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Sounds like negotiations are underway 

Bye Juwan? 

I think the way this is going to work is that they are going to go to Howard and ask him exactly what he does to make next yr different that this year, and his chance to stay is make a compelling enough case that everything is going to change. The situation is analogous to where they were with Harbaugh after 2020. If all Juwan has is "we're going to work harder and do better, he's gone. If he has a remediation plan that checks all the boxes -assistants, portal management, recruiting, academic management etc., and it's impressive enough - maybe they given him year to try.