Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

Cant remember if it was early in OT or late in regulation but I wish CBS wouldve showed a replay of the possible goaltending that wasn't called. Watching live I thought there was a chance that it hit the glass first and the um bench certainly acted that way.

By the time there was a break in the action there was already another close pay that needed reviewing so cbs was focusing on that and forgot about the block/goaltending.

Anyway that was basically a 5 point swing since the block led to a transition 3 for Indiana.

Edited by RandyMarsh

I actually got clarification from the NCAA today in an email.   Yes, I can talk about the tournament in passing, as long as I am not promoting anything EXCEPT the broadcast on our sister station, which does have a financial agreement with the NCAA.     I thought about emailing the legal person at our company but it would only make them angry at me.   

23 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Cant remember if it was early in OT or late in regulation but I wish CBS wouldve showed a replay of the possible goaltending that wasn't called. Watching live I thought there was a chance that it hit the glass first and the um bench certainly acted that way.

By the time there was a break in the action there was already another close pay that needed reviewing so cbs was focusing on that and forgot about the block/goaltending.

Anyway that was basically a 5 point swing since the block led to a transition 3 for Indiana.

Road game.  

On 3/10/2023 at 2:10 PM, djhutch said:

I know Rutgers is much improved this year - but Juwan Howard was not brought here to just make the tournament, he was brought here to win it.  In 4 seasons he has taken UM from perennial contender to out of the dance.  He's got to go.

He should have been axed after throwing the punch last year.       Another year like this and he's out.      And don't mention Rick Pitino as a replacement.  If Michigan hired Rick Pitino, I'd burn every Michigan thing I own. 

• 2 weeks later...

jett howard goes pro.  good riddance.

im sure he'd be better next year, but i have convinced myself he was the problem last year.  besides being an awful, awful useless player on defense, he was a selfish offensive player AND the coach's son.  i have a feeling that dynamic ruined the vibes on the rest of the team and probably explains why dickinson and others seemed checked out for most of the season.

if - big if - kobe and hunter come back, they should be ok.  if not, hit the portal and hope the admissions office gets the stick out of their ass.  they seemed to have done so for football.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 8:39 PM, buddha said:

im sure he'd be better next year, but i have convinced myself he was the problem last year.  besides being an awful, awful useless player on defense, he was a selfish offensive player AND the coach's son.  i have a feeling that dynamic ruined the vibes on the rest of the team and probably explains why dickinson and others seemed checked out for most of the season.

if - big if - kobe and hunter come back, they should be ok.  if not, hit the portal and hope the admissions office gets the stick out of their ass.  they seemed to have done so for football.

I think there is a lot to support the above.  

On 3/23/2023 at 8:39 PM, buddha said:

Glad Jett is going too.  I'm on record saying I think Juwan should be replaced now .. but he'll get next year. 

i dont think they need to replace juwan.  he was doing fine until this season.

i still think it was jett.  his own mom called him a problem a child.  if hunter and kobe come back they should be good to go with some portal help.

if you put terrance shannon on this year's michigan team - which was signed, sealed, and delivered until the academic department vetoed it and he ended up at illinois - they're a tournament team for sure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, djhutch said:

It's a rational decision is he thinks his draft status could be helped enough by playing on a better team another year that it's worth another year in college instead of going pro now.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's a rational decision is he thinks his draft status could be helped enough by playing on a better team another year that it's worth another year in college instead of going pro now.

Certainly a rational decision on Dickinson's part - but sad that Juwan Howard has taken the program to a place where someone has to leave to be on a competitive team. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

he's undraftable no matter where he plays.  might as well see how much another school will pay him to play there.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

Certainly a rational decision on Dickinson's part - but sad that Juwan Howard has taken the program to a place where someone has to leave to be on a competitive team. 

he's leaving to get paid.

i think jett broke this team, lol.

this is what happens when you recruit four and five star kids nowadays.  they leave after one year.

if you choose the kentucky route, you have to replenish your stock every year.  if not, youre left with michigan's current roster.

the ability to find trey burke and caris lavert and nik stauskas and develop them made john beilein a great coach.  juwan hasnt shown he can do that.

but this is the new reality, its not just michigan.  players will decide where they want to go based on whatever reasons they want: money, playing time, etc.  michigan will have to roll with the punches and start using the portal like everyone else is.

its not a juwan-thing, its a college basketball thing.

dickinson is a bit surprising, the other two are not.  and given hunter's body language and the way the team played last year, we probably shouldnt be too surprised at him either.  that one i put on juwan.  bufkin and jett were always likely to leave.

• Like 1