Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 11:40 AM, buddha said:

it would be hilarious if he ended up at eastern.

The above was from May, re; Bates. He did in fact end up at EMU.

I'll give you a scouting report. I don't and didn't know much about the guy. I have ties to Toledo so I watch all their games. A couple of weeks ago, Bates chucked in 43, but they came up a little short on Toledo's court. I watched a couple other of his games, can't remember against who, then the UT/EMU game yesterday. He only had 4 points in that one. The guy is an incredible talent. A bit skinny IMO, but what a show he can put on.  NBA next year?

As far as EMU, they are not doing so well in the MAC, but they have 3 guys who can just go off. Acuff had 35 yesterday. They are long, athletic, and very talented. If they make the MAC tourney, they might be the team nobody wants to play. There are six games left, they should improve, and all you have to do is get in. If they would win in Cleveland I would not be surprised at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even care anymore.   I can't say "Michigan Wolverines" on the radio in Ann Arbor even though my company and the station down the hall broadcasts their games and is actually the flagship and UofM the biggest employer in the state and owns the most land in Ann Arbor - because I could be sued by the NCAA for violating their trademark.    Now, would they sue me for talking about them playing a  big game in passing (not promoting an event)?  No, they wouldn't, but they could and that's enough for me to say to hell with the NCAA and anything they do.   I won't talk about them anymore - in freaking Ann Arbor.    So got.damn stupid. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

people say michigan wolverines on the radio all the time.

I know.   All the time.   But according to our station's lawyers, we can be sued, even for saying it in passing.  I think they are absolutely wrong on that, but don't you DARE ever tell a company lawyer they are wrong,  you'll get buried in corporate emails about staying in your lane.    I actually called and left a message with the legal department for the NCAA in Indianapolis asking for clarity on the issue.   They have not called me back.  

We are partners with the NCAA because we broadcast their games, so I don't know why the stern warning about saying team names and words as controversial as Dribble, but I really want to know now.   I mean, how can we have a deal with the NCAA on broadcast rights, but not be able to say these things on a station within not only the same company, but the same building.  I don't like some corporate yahoo throwing the threat of termination at me for saying Dribble.  I didn't like the condescending tone of it. It really pissed me off.   

Two OT losses in a row.  After the way this team pulled itself off the mat on the road twice like this.   I knew this team was under the level of previous teams but this was annoying to watch.  Ah well, can't go to the final 4 every year.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Two OT losses in a row.  After the way this team pulled itself off the mat on the road twice like this.   I knew this team was under the level of previous teams but this was annoying to watch.  Ah well, can't go to the final 4 every year.

youre torturing yourself with this bunch.

a couple of bounces and they could be a 20 win team.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

youre torturing yourself with this bunch.

a couple of bounces and they could be a 20 win team.

The road games you have to win against teams that are higher ranked than your team are not usually wins.

by which I mean...this team was in this position because they were under strength.

Edited by romad1