Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

Juwan Howard through a punch at the Wisconsin Assistant Head Coach at today's game. That is a big no-no for a coach to get involved in a fight like that. He can and should be harshly punished for a situation like that. Didn't Woody Hayes lose his job after the infamous punch he threw at a Clemson player?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

It sounds like Howard refused to apologize for his actions and even went as far as complimenting his kids for sticking up for him by fighting.     

I don’t understand why you press with your walkons with 10 seconds left in the game and then get pissed when the opposition calls a timeout.    Dumb all the way around.    

Edited by Hongbit

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think he’ll be fired. I think he’ll be suspended the rest of the season and tournament (if M makes it).

He won’t be fired.  Warde doesn’t have any balls.   I think his actions and lack of any remorse are worthy of termination especially considering this incident was eerily similar to the one against Maryland last year.   

He should be fired,  He's a coach.  He can't do that.  Doesn't matter if it was a punch or a slap, doesn't matter if he landed or not.  He threw the first punch.  Michigan has no permanent President, which could make this situation ugly, but it's no different than Woody Hayes throwing a punch at Charlie Bauman.  He wasn't going to hurt a kid wearing full pads, but that was not the issue.   That's embarrassing.  

43 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe John Beilein can come back.   I don't know.   You just can't have a coach act like this.    If a scrum was already happening and he does that, maybe you can excuse it, but he's threw the punch first.  

I don't know if they have to fire him, but they should at least hit him with a hard suspension. - IDK - maybe something like 30 days?

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if they have to fire him, but they should at least hit him with a hard suspension. - IDK - maybe something like 30 days?

No,  he has to be fired.    Same thing Woody Hayes did.   Doesn't matter if he landed a punch or a slap and it doesn't matter if he hurt the other guy or not.  The fact is that he turned it into a brawl - he started it.   The other coach did grab his elbow for walking away from the handshake - he shouldn't have done that, but the reaction was way over the top.    There was separation by the time he threw the punch/slap, he can't say he felt threatened and reacted.    He's the Head Coach of a major university,  there is no excuse for this.   

Cheney THREATENED Calipari, he never got to him.  I don't think he would have punched him if he got close enough, but if he had thrown a punch/slap at Calipari, he'd have been fired immediately.  

John Tortorella  once threatened a team in the hallway, but it was one of those situations when you know you've got people to separate you, so you make the threat knowing you aren't going to get close.   I've seen that in real life a time or two.  

Plus this happened a week after football ended, with no Sunday afternoon NBA games and no baseball news.  So guess what the #1 story in sports will be for the next 2 days?    It won't be the NBA All Star practice.  

He needs to be fired before the Monday morning news cycle.  There is nothing he can say to excuse it and his attitude in the post game interview didn't help.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No,  he has to be fired.    Same thing Woody Hayes did.   Doesn't matter if he landed a punch or a slap and it doesn't matter if he hurt the other guy or not.  The fact is that he turned it into a brawl - he started it.   The other coach did grab his elbow for walking away from the handshake - he shouldn't have done that, but the reaction was way over the top.    There was separation by the time he threw the punch/slap, he can't say he felt threatened and reacted.    He's the Head Coach of a major university,  there is no excuse for this.   

Cheney THREATENED Calipari, he never got to him.  I don't think he would have punched him if he got close enough, but if he had thrown a punch/slap at Calipari, he'd have been fired immediately.  

John Tortorella  once threatened a team in the hallway, but it was one of those situations when you know you've got people to separate you, so you make the threat knowing you aren't going to get close.   I've seen that in real life a time or two.  

Plus this happened a week after football ended, with no Sunday afternoon NBA games and no baseball news.  So guess what the #1 story in sports will be for the next 2 days?    It won't be the NBA All Star practice.  

He needs to be fired before the Monday morning news cycle.  There is nothing he can say to excuse it and his attitude in the post game interview didn't help.  

I think the Finnish cross country skier in the Olympics could give this a run.

Its a shame.  I really liked Howard as the UoM basketball coach.  I understand this hasn't been a great season, but he seemed like a great follow up to Beilein.

Automatic suspension for the rest of the year is an easy call.  If he continues to show no remorse, jeez, how can you keep him?

Wade Manuel just made a statement saying he called and apologized to the Wisconsin AD and that Mary Sue Coleman called their Chancellor and apologized (I don't think she needed to do that).    But Warde made it sound like they were going to wait until the Big 10 made their decision.   This is weak.  Very weak.      Maybe Warde should be out too.  

16 minutes ago, casimir said:

Its a shame.  I really liked Howard as the UoM basketball coach.  I understand this hasn't been a great season, but he seemed like a great follow up to Beilein.

Automatic suspension for the rest of the year is an easy call.  If he continues to show no remorse, jeez, how can you keep him?

I don't know how you keep him NOW.  The only precedent for something like this was Woody Hayes punching Charlie Bauman - and he was fired on the flight home, literally and he was an absolute legend there.    There are some lines that can never be crossed.    

All Bauman did was intercept an Art Schlichter pass.    Art must have bet on Clemson that night. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know how you keep him NOW.  The only precedent for something like this was Woody Hayes punching Charlie Bauman - and he was fired on the flight home, literally and he was an absolute legend there.    There are some lines that can never be crossed.    

There’s a line there in that Hayes punched a student and Howard went after a coach.

I just assume that with all of the legality today that UoM would suspend in the short term, complete it’s “due diligence”, and then offer a chance for Howard to resign or be fired.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

There’s a line there in that Hayes punched a student and Howard went after a coach.

I just assume that with all of the legality today that UoM would suspend in the short term, complete it’s “due diligence”, and then offer a chance for Howard to resign or be fired.

When he does apologize, it's gonna feel as sincere as Ryan Leaf's famous 'apology'.   "Protect myself"  Dude is 6 foot 10 and had to punch (or slap) over 3 of his own guys to land it.     It's laughable.    A lot of things coming from the Michigan athletic department are either laughable or tragic these days.   Warde's department is kind of a mess.    

its his second offense too.  

look, everyone hates wisconsin.  theyre a dirty team.  theyre annoying as hell.  the troll center is a terrible place to play.

but you cant do that.  at the very very least he has to be suspended for the rest of the year.  he really should be fired.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The only precedent for something like this was Woody Hayes punching Charlie Bauman - and he was fired on the flight home, literally and he was an absolute legend there.    There are some lines that can never be crossed.

well, yes and no. By '78 there the rumblings had begun. There were some that wanted to be rid of Hayes by that point (2 yrs with more than 2 losses and 4 losses in 78 was too much for some) but he was going to be very hard to fire, the incident gave them the cover to do what some were hoping for.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

its his second offense too.  

look, everyone hates wisconsin.  theyre a dirty team.  theyre annoying as hell.  the troll center is a terrible place to play.

but you cant do that.  at the very very least he has to be suspended for the rest of the year.  he really should be fired.

When I saw it was Wisconsin, this was one of my initial thoughts.  Similar to that old Chappelle bit, trust me Juwan, I get it, but you can't do that.  You need to do that Juwan....but you can't do that.  You have to do that....damnit, but you can't do that.

If Michigan gets ahead of it and suspends him for the rest of the season, I think he can stay.  If they wait for the Big10/NCAA to weigh in, they risk public outcry/support issues that may make the decision for them.

I do think it’s interesting that Mary Sue has already become involved in this.

After two decades of very steady growth as a university, building a reputation as a top-five public school with a very solid athletic department that excels academically and mostly doesn’t make bad press off the playing field, they’ve been thrown into total turmoil in the last year or so.

Between Dr. Anderson, firing Schlissel, and the hockey team’s latest fiasco, they can’t seem to get the crisis management team off the payroll. MSC was brought back to right the ship, and her publicly apologizing to Wisconsin mere hours following the incident is interesting, and not something I think Schlissel would have done.

For an institution that fancies itself as being a peer institution to the Ivies, their response will be telling. If this had happened to Stanford or Harvard men’s basketball, the coach would be gone, no doubt about it. If this had happened to UM women’s gymnastics, the coach would similarly be gone without second thought... OTOH, if this had happened at Ohio State or Gonzaga, the coach would be slapped on the wrist with a couple game suspension and be back by tournament tip-off. They’re in it to win it, not be the morality police.

Does Michigan care more about its outer facing image and how their athletic department portrays them as a university, or do they care more about winning games and making money? Time will tell.

11 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

For an institution that fancies itself as being a peer institution to the Ivies, their response will be telling. If this had happened to Stanford or Harvard men’s basketball, the coach would be gone, no doubt about it. If this had happened to UM women’s gymnastics, the coach would similarly be gone without second thought... OTOH, if this had happened at Ohio State or Gonzaga, the coach would be slapped on the wrist with a couple game suspension and be back by tournament tip-off. They’re in it to win it, not be the morality police.

Does Michigan care more about its outer facing image and how their athletic department portrays them as a university, or do they care more about winning games and making money? Time will tell.

In the final analysis, as big money sports have evolved they have become more a mismatch to the core mission at a school like UM than ever, but that won't make any difference to them.

I'm perfectly happy to be entertained as fan, but the truth is that as someone with almost 50 yrs of skin in the game with the University community here, if it all went away tomorrow the truth is I wouldn't shed a tear over it.

Edited by gehringer_2